What's new

Learning with a shavette?

What do you all think? Can the shavette be used to learn how to shave with a straight razor before transitioning to the straight razor? Good shavettes are cheap and I have a lot of blades. Good straight razors are decidedly not cheap. Should I think about going this route or save my pennies and buy a good straight razor?

Yes, I think it’s an excellent way to start with straight razors - especially if your interest is in the shaving part rather than blade sharpening & maintenance. It also requires much less investment in equipment. You just slot a blade in, take a brave pill, and go.

I recommend using guarded Artist Club blades (Feather Proguard or Kai Protouch MG) as they perform well and there is much less risk of cuts or slices as you get used to holding the razor and developing your technique. So I would recommend getting a razor that accepts AC blades and not just DE or half-DE blades.

And maybe you even decide to stick with replaceable blade straight razors, or maybe you move into traditional straight razors if you still have interest in it and want to branch into learning stropping and honing.

I bought an inexpevsive shavette to see if i liked the straight razor world. I think the only similarity a shavette has to a straight is the way it’s held. Beyond that once you put each blade on your face the feel of the blade against your skin is completely different.
A real straight razor blade against your skin is much more forgiving than a shavette IMHO. I dont know about ac blades because i neverused one. I just used regular razor bent in half. My conclusion is a real straight is a more pleasurable experience and face feel but you can dip a toe in the game for a song with a shavette.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In my opinion a shavette is far less forgiving than a straight so if you are sure you want to use a straight then I say go for it, on the understanding there is also the need to learn stropping etc. I used to use straights, although I did not hone them myself, but after using a Feather AC I moved my straights on. I would recommend an AC razor over half DE shavette and as said above the guarded blades are a good place to start. There is nothing to fear, just take your time, watch a few videos, learn to stretch your skin, use a runny lather, and..... use a very light touch - imagine trying to remove the lather without touching the skin. Using my Feather AC has improved my DE technique immeasurably. Look at this and you won't go far wrong:

I agree with both posters. If you want to try a shavette then dont used the ones that hold a de blade
Or half a de blade. The feather AC is the best in shavettes and it uses special blades. Because of this it holds the blade correctly and gives a very nice shave.

Those cheap ones dont hold s blade as eell and will cause issues and cuts.
It eill teach you how to hold a razor and how to not use pressure. The angle will be steeper as a straight doesnt have anything beside the blade.

But the feather with ac blades is wonderful. I have two of them and i use straights also.

Thanks folks. I am looking for a cheap Feather AC. Blades are easy for me to get. It's the razor that's hard.

Thanks folks. I am looking for a cheap Feather AC. Blades are easy for me to get. It's the razor that's hard.
The CJB kamisori style is not expensive and I know a handful of guys here use them. The holder is similar to the Feather DX, at least that's what Brad Maggard told me when I inquired. I much prefer using an actual straight razor but I think this is decent for what it is, especially considering the low cost.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I started out with half DE blade shavettes coming from an electric razor it was quite a learning curve. I've never used the Feather type AC razor as I was happy with my shavettes I even had a couple of Kamisori style ones. The half blade DE shavettes are fine for full face shaves as that's what a lot barbers seem to be using these days.

Yes, I think it’s an excellent way to start with straight razors - especially if your interest is in the shaving part rather than blade sharpening & maintenance. It also requires much less investment in equipment. You just slot a blade in, take a brave pill, and go.

I recommend using guarded Artist Club blades (Feather Proguard or Kai Protouch MG) as they perform well and there is much less risk of cuts or slices as you get used to holding the razor and developing your technique. So I would recommend getting a razor that accepts AC blades and not just DE or half-DE blades.

And maybe you even decide to stick with replaceable blade straight razors, or maybe you move into traditional straight razors if you still have interest in it and want to branch into learning stropping and honing.
Awesome advice. Couldn’t have said it any better!

Check in Aliexpress at Saphoo store. You can get a good Ac shavette for 16usd . I suggest you to use a Kai Proguard or Feather protouch as a blade.

I agree with the comments of @Mr. Shavington and @EclipseRedRing.

But contrary to the rest, I think that you might enjoy a DE blade in a Universal Lama Intera shavette a lot. It is very nice shaver and it's dimmension and weight are similar to a 6/8 straight razor. Just dull the blade edges. I can't stop using this shavette. It must be the best shavette in the world! :)

I am starting to use straight razor lately too. Once you like a shavette, it is difficult to give up because of straight razors.

If you're looking for a cheap AC shavette to try out straight razor shaving, these are good (Aliexpress).

I found Feather blades to be extremely sharp for the first shave or two. A bit too sharp. They mellow out a bit after that. Schick proline don't have that initial peak and suit me a lot better.

IMO an AC shavette feels very close to a "real" straight razor. Different types of straights all feel different anyway, from delicate full-hollows which make a noise like ripping velcro to solid near-wedges which could chop down a tree. If you learn to shave with an AC shavette you'll definitely be able to handle a straight.

If you are open to spending a bit more on a barber razor, I really like the Irving Barber Co razor (up to $79). It takes AC, half DE, and injector blades. I like it because it feels good in the hand - light, slim head, well balanced, manoeuvrable. I think it is particularly easy to shave with, enjoyable to use, and well made. You can get it in different colours and finishes, but I find the cerakote finishes are more grippy.

But as you said at the start, you can get also good barber razors for a lot less money than this.

D67A58D6-EF34-477E-9D27-3A8EFE26CF9A.jpeg

I'm going to give a different opinion here.

Considering how pleasant a straight razor is to use, and how a shavette isn't, plus the difference in technique, I would recommend a straight.

With a shavette, there's a chance you find it rough, and Nick yourself, and end up going back to your DE thinking this isn't pleasant.

If you start with a sharpened straight, you'll enjoy it or not, but chances are high you'll enjoy it a lot more than starting with a shavette. Also pretty low risk of giving up, people rarely start straights, then quit them it seems. The biggest blocker with straights is starting. Once you start... Well, you learn why we all stick with them..

The CJB kamisori style is not expensive and I know a handful of guys here use them. The holder is similar to the Feather DX, at least that's what Brad Maggard told me when I inquired. I much prefer using an actual straight razor but I think this is decent for what it is, especially considering the low cost.

If you are on that site, I would also recommend this one for DE half-blades. There are a number of colors available and the wedge profile provides a built in shave guide. One of the easier DE shavettes to use.
Shavette - Black Plastic Handle with HD Leather Travel Case (Injector or Half-DE Blades) - https://maggardrazors.com/collections/straight-razors/products/shavette-black-plastic-handle-with-hd-leather-travel-case

I agree with most of what others have posted, like how a Feather AC shavette will provide a better shave experience and a straight will be more forgiving, but I would not totally steer you away from trying a DE shavette....you just need to be aware you are jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn how the swim (metaphorically speaking). You need to proceed at a cautious pace and use a very light touch. You will get knicks and cuts while developing muscle memory, and they will come sooner and more frequently if learning on a shorter blade like a DE, so patience is needed.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I actually prefer this sort:

I like the half DE blade type. I use Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades snapped in half. If you don't want to mess with Ali Express, Amazon has one made by Facon and I have one of those, too.

The Feather AC knockoffs are mostly pretty decent, whether you use the AC type blade or the half DE blade.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a shavette. In fact, nothing wrong with sticking with it indefinitely. Whatever makes your propeller spin. I like them for travel. A cheap brush, a stick of Arko, a Feather knockoff, and an extra DE blade, and I am ready to rock. No balsa, no strop, no worrying about rust or theft, and a shave that isn't bad once you understand that it's not the same as a typical straight razor.

Top Bottom