What's new

Learning with a shavette?

I'm going to give a different opinion here.

Considering how pleasant a straight razor is to use, and how a shavette isn't, plus the difference in technique, I would recommend a straight.

With a shavette, there's a chance you find it rough, and Nick yourself, and end up going back to your DE thinking this isn't pleasant.

If you start with a sharpened straight, you'll enjoy it or not, but chances are high you'll enjoy it a lot more than starting with a shavette. Also pretty low risk of giving up, people rarely start straights, then quit them it seems. The biggest blocker with straights is starting. Once you start... Well, you learn why we all stick with them..
I started with a shavette. I found it rough and nicked myself. I was also only using it until I returned from my road trip where my 1st SR had arrived.

I was already all in on going to the SR world.

I got better with the shavette but was amazed at how much more I enjoyed the SR.

One day I may dig it out and see how much better I am with it now, though I know the angles are different. But at the moment I'm too in love with straights to try.

I started with a shavette. I found it rough and nicked myself. I was also only using it until I returned from my road trip where my 1st SR had arrived.

I was already all in on going to the SR world.

I got better with the shavette but was amazed at how much more I enjoyed the SR.

One day I may dig it out and see how much better I am with it now, though I know the angles are different. But at the moment I'm too in love with straights to try.
I'm glad I didn't go with a shavette, not that there is anything wrong with them. I really wanted a straight and have been having fun since I got mine. There is more maintenance, of course, but that is part of it.

I like that it takes so much concentration and there is a lot of effort that goes into the shave. With my Henson's or Techs I get a mindlessly good shave. I don't have to focus so much. With the SR, if I don't focus, I'm likely to do something bad to myself. Then, there is the whole ritual of stropping before and after, of finding the right angle and following through, of cleaning the soap off of the razor properly, and then comes the drying and oiling ritual. Yeah, more fun.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I started my straight journey with an actual Feather Artist Club SS razor. Excellent tool. It has a little bump on the razor profile that helps align and stretch the skin, creating a smooth and efficient shave. And as mentioned the proguard blades are excellent. You can’t even feel the guard wires on the blade. It like having training wheels. But not as humiliating. 😜🤪😀. But really, the proguards are great. I still use them from time to time. I have never been able to get a good shave from an AC based safety razor like I can from the actual Feather Artist Club razor.

This was a good thread fun to read :)
not ready to dive into them yet but might be fun in the future :) lots of thoughts for sure

I used to use a straight razor, in the '80's and '90's, got tired of the maintenance and went back to multiblade cartridges. Just recently purchased a Feather SS with proguard blades.

After a few mishaps, the shave is great. There is definitely a learning curve, and totally different feel than a SR, but overall I find that for me, it's the way to go. I would summarize the learning curve as getting the "lightness of touch" and the "critical angle" right. The Feather SS needs to sit very close to the skin.

As an aside (and no offense meant). I wish that there was a separate Shavette section in B&B. It seems to me that there is a general bias against shavettes in the SR section. I'm new here, so maybe I haven't read enough threads, but it seems that general discussions that start out about shavettes, always end up overwhelmed by SR aficionados.

As an aside (and no offense meant). I wish that there was a separate Shavette section in B&B. It seems to me that there is a general bias against shavettes in the SR section. I'm new here, so maybe I haven't read enough threads, but it seems that general discussions that start out about shavettes, always end up overwhelmed by SR aficionados.

There is a very nice thread, on brotherhood about shavette. Lot of fun there.

I used to use a straight razor, in the '80's and '90's, got tired of the maintenance and went back to multiblade cartridges. Just recently purchased a Feather SS with proguard blades.

After a few mishaps, the shave is great. There is definitely a learning curve, and totally different feel than a SR, but overall I find that for me, it's the way to go. I would summarize the learning curve as getting the "lightness of touch" and the "critical angle" right. The Feather SS needs to sit very close to the skin.

I get what you're saying. The general consensus in there is that shavettes are too harsh and the shaves are not as comfortable. Well, they might not be as comfortable for some people, but plenty of people (as evidenced in the the thread provided by the good @albsat above) get incredibly comfortable shaves using them.

Last edited:

I view it more as being general bias towards traditional straights rather than against something else. I think the majority of members can appreciate the pros and cons of a shavette versus a SR and try to provide fair viewpoints based on their experiences.

That said, I do believe threads where a newbie asks "which open blade method should I choose?" can get lopsided due to the number SR users vs shavette users who read the subforum and choose to reply. But ultimately it is up to each person to decide what is best for themselves, as there are many personal factors to be evaluated.

Start with shaving with your regular razor (DE or Cartridge) and gradually start using a shavette for one or two areas of the face until you become confident in holding the shavette and at the right angle. Keep a styptic pencil handy. It may take a year or two to fully master a shavette and going solo with it.

What do you all think? Can the shavette be used to learn how to shave with a straight razor before transitioning to the straight razor? Good shavettes are cheap and I have a lot of blades. Good straight razors are decidedly not cheap. Should I think about going this route or save my pennies and buy a good straight razor?
That should be fine so long as you begin with very mild blades such as Dorco or Shears Direct. If you try to learn with Feather blades you will surely be needing plastic surgery and a blood transfusion, and I mean this literally.

I read all the horror stories about shavettes slicing you to pieces. I use shavette over three years. I am thinking when the attack will come :2guns:.Sooner or later... This sneaky shavette is still pretending to be friendly and comfortable.
I got a cut two months ago, during a touch up, because I underestimated the power of a shavette. Two months and the scar is still on my face, hoping it will be healed.

Different shavettes have different blade exposures. Captain Kai and Feather are decent. But you can be too trusting in a shavette, thinking the "comb" will protect you. With a straight razor, it is all on you and therefore most do not cut themselves.

As for the scar, chicks dig it!

Maybe this isn't quite the right forum to post this in but what the hell...
Today I ordered a Feather Artist Club SS Straight Razor Japanese Style. I ordered this for a specific reason. That reason is to keep the edges of my horseshoe clean and straight. I have used a DE for years but there is always some blind shaving when trying to maintain an edge with a DE. I tried a straight razor a years ago when I didn't have a mustache and I was never comfortable with it. It never felt good in my hand or I was in control, so I bailed on it and never looked back. Today I thought, why not, let's give the Japanese style a try just around the mustache. I have a lot of different style blades from using a Hawk SE, including the Feather Pro Guard's. The intent (if I can figure it out this time) is to move to a Japanese style straight razor eventually. I am a Japanese knife enthusiast for my kitchen knives. I have no idea if that translates to anything with this "knife" style or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is in the wrong thread, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere.

I user a straight to trim my beard - neck line and cheek line. Unfortunately, it's hard to see the complete neck line and so there are always some "blind" strokes. I hear you on that. That leaves it up to muscle memory and practice. The Feather AC is good. I sold mine as most here always wind up with the straight; easier to adjust blade angle without the limitations of the Feather.

Maybe this isn't quite the right forum to post this in but what the hell...
Today I ordered a Feather Artist Club SS Straight Razor Japanese Style. I ordered this for a specific reason. That reason is to keep the edges of my horseshoe clean and straight. I have used a DE for years but there is always some blind shaving when trying to maintain an edge with a DE. I tried a straight razor a years ago when I didn't have a mustache and I was never comfortable with it. It never felt good in my hand or I was in control, so I bailed on it and never looked back. Today I thought, why not, let's give the Japanese style a try just around the mustache. I have a lot of different style blades from using a Hawk SE, including the Feather Pro Guard's. The intent (if I can figure it out this time) is to move to a Japanese style straight razor eventually. I am a Japanese knife enthusiast for my kitchen knives. I have no idea if that translates to anything with this "knife" style or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is in the wrong thread, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere.
Just as an quick update, my order for the SS got canceled so I resubmitted with another company and ended up ordering as SR.

Just as an quick update, my order for the SS got canceled so I resubmitted with another company and ended up ordering as SR.
I have 2 * SS. I haven't tried the new SR but I also have the DX and if the SR is even half as good as these you can expect to be pleased with your purchase.

I never tried the SR.

I used the SS for about 3 weeks, then recently bought a DX. I was expecting another learning curve, but after two shaves the DX is comfortable to me.

I got my Feather AC SR yesterday. I decided to try a full shave and not just trim the mustache area. It went much better than I expected. It was a very patchy shave though. I know that a goal is to keep as much cream/soap on the blade but I struggled with that. I wanted to flip the blade over constantly so I was comfortable with the angle of attack, not the angle of the razor in relation to my face. I used a lot of soap this morning :) I tried against the grain on my toughest area: directly below my chin for an inch. No problem there at all. Over all, not a bad shaving experience. I did mistakenly clip off a little more mustache than I wanted on one side, but hell, it grows back.
I did cheat though. I did a final pass with my RR Lupo just to clean things up. ;)

Top Bottom