What's new

Learning to shave - all over again

Bail on bad lather! I have "rescued" a couple shaves by relathering. It was worth it. That being said, some blades really just don't agree with my face. I figure I owe each blade 2-3 shaves...

Hey there,

I think you are on the right track just changing one of the variables. If you can get good results with the same razor and soap then that leaves the blades and brush that you can change around.

You are making good progress - you are only 7 shaves in - so there will bad shaves mixed in there, but you will improve and before long you will have 50, then 100+ shaves and have it nailed down.

Thanks for the encouraging comment! Yes, it's going to take a long time to lock it down and build up some muscle memory. But the journey to get there will be very fun! ;)

Bail on bad lather! I have "rescued" a couple shaves by relathering. It was worth it. That being said, some blades really just don't agree with my face. I figure I owe each blade 2-3 shaves...

Thanks for commenting! Agreed, 2-3 shaves will likely make up my mind about a blade. :)

The eight shave

I'm not really sure I should be counting each and every shave. Maybe weekly updates is the way to go for me. Anywho, I had my eight shave today. The second shave using the Gillette Platinum blade, and my mind is made up about it. It has to go. I feel that it's not as smooth nor as sharp as the Astra SP. So, thus far the Astra SP is my favourite.

The usual prep and gear.
I used the ToOBS Avocado again, the Merkur 34C and my synthetic brush. I didn't use an alum block today, only cold water and Nivea Sensitive after shave.
Today it's been nearly 3 days since my last shave. My stubble feels more coarse now that I'm only using a DE razor. When I used a 5-blade monster, it felt like the stubble growing back was softer. It could be my imagination though.

The Gillette blade didn't feel like it tugged on my whiskers, but I had to make more passes and touch-ups to get a SAC. I didn't get any nicks or weepers and no razor burn. My face did feel a little annoyed though, so for my next shave I'm going to switch to the infamous Feather blade. Next shave will be on Friday so I can give my face the opportunity to grow out some whiskers. Besides, I don't know yet if shaving daily is for me. Wish me luck. I'll be careful. :001_rolle

Oh, and another bonus. My other half said my face was smoother than hers and I was showered in kisses on the cheek. Thumbs up for DE shaving! :thumbup:

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Creams/soap: ToOBS Avocado - Brutalt bra barbersåpe
Brush: Men-ü synthetic - Simpson Wee Scot
Prep: Hot shower, washed face with MR GLO
Aftershave/care: Alum block, Nivea Sensitive aftershave

I tossed the Gillette after two shaves. I don't quite know how to rate this blade, seeing I'm a complete newb and all blades are strange to me. I can only describe it as pretty smooth but not very sharp. I didn't have any bad reactions or anything, but it felt like it took more passes and tidying up than with the Astra SP. Maybe I'll come back to it some other time, but I felt there was no reason to continue if I liked the Astra SP better.

Tonight was the 9th shave and I decided to try a Voskhod blade. I whipped up some lather using my synthetic brush and ToOBS cream. Lather up and began my shave. Something wasn't right. It felt rough, and I'd managed to shave my right cheek. Surely the blade shouldn't feel like that?? I poked at my lather and I thought that it didn't feel quite right. I was disappointed and figured I'd try again. Seeing my right cheek was shaved I changed it up. And that's why the cream and brush have been struck out.

I grabbed my Brutalt Bra shaving soap and my Wee Scot. Time to try something else. I loaded up my brush and lathered directly on my face. It immediately felt a LOT better. Added a little water as needed until I felt my face was protected. Then I went on with my shave. It's amazing what a couple of tweaks can do. The razor and blade happily mowed down my 3-day stubble and I felt no tugging or skipping. I finished my WTG pass and face lathered again. Yes, the Wee Scot punches waaay over it's class and still had a lot of lather left! This time it was another WTG / XTG pass. Then more lather and cleaned up some spots that felt rough. All in all, an awesome shave! The spot on my right cheek I shaved initially was irritated, but no razor burn. I rinsed off and my face felt absolutely great. The closest shave with a DE to date. I might just be a face latherer.

I'll keep using the same soap and my Wee Scot and I'll see how it goes! I'll give the Vokshod a few more goes and then I'll try another blade. Have a great weekend!

P.S. Curious about the Brutalt Bra shaving soap from Norway? Have a look here;
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/435419-Coming-Soon-to-BullGoose-Brutalt-Bra-Barbersåpe
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/490190-Brutalt-Bra

I haven't really kept up with this journal it seems! I've kept at it shaving with my Merkur 34C but nothing really noteworthy has happened. I had another shave with the Voskhod blade and decided it wasn't for me. I then switched to a Polsilver SI blade for the next four shaves. I think I'm up to 14 shaves now and still going strong! I've kept up face lathering using the Wee Scot and the Brutalt Bra shaving soap. What's new however is that I've added some new aftershaves.

I picked up a Myrsol Agua Balsamica, Myrsol Lemon and Aqua Velva (the Williams one in a glass bottle). In addition to the aftershaves, I also picked up a couple of samples (Meissner Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol, Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes) and a puck of Haslinger Sheepmilk soap that's been getting some rave reviews here on B&B.

This morning I had that 14th shave I mentioned. I never shave in the morning as I'm usually in a rush to get out the door. This time I got up a bit earlier and had a nice shower. I've learned to turn down the water temperature a bit as my face doesn't seem to like too hot water. Face lathered using Brutalt Bra and shaved with the Merkur 34C and Polsilver SI (4). I really like this combination. It gave me a really smooth shave and a great post-shave feel. As per usual, I used an alum block on my face and let it sit while cleaning up. Rinsed my face with cold water and applied Myrsol Lemon. I didn't get much of an alcohol burn, but wow, that menthol though. It feels absolutely awesome. So much so that I've considered getting a Fine's Snake Bite, but I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that much menthol.

Anyway! I have tons of things to still try. Next on the list for me is probably to try out the Haslinger sheep milk soap and a new blade. Probably Gillette Silver Blue this time. Other things I want to try down the line is a cold shave (cold water, cold lather, etc..). Plenty of soap and creams to try as well. And hopefully I'll get some interesting photos added too! :)

Welcome back to the journal! Nice shave. I'm a fan of menthol (was given some crystals recently, may have to make a new AS!) Also, I'm with you on the hot water. When I started I used as hot as I could stand. I tried cold water and loved it! I have less irritation and redness with cooler water (doesn't need to be icy) than hot.

GSB's are excellent blades, so go for it! That being said, I think the Rapira Platinum Lux and Swedish Supersteel may be more similar to your polisilvers. Keep it up (and definitely get Schafmilch, it's a light scent, but excellent)!

I haven't been keeping up with this journal at all!

Shave no. 15
As I mentioned, I wanted to try the GSB and cold water shaving. Why not combine? I used my Merkur 34C, GSB blade, Wee Scot brush and Brutalt Bra shaving croap. It was an awesome shave. I had no idea cold water would make much of a difference, but it felt very comfortable, especially in the hot weather! And because I haven't been keeping up to date with my journal, I can't really remember very many more details.

Shave no. 16
Pretty much a carbon copy of the shave above. Another great one!

Shave no. 17 (Friday July 22nd)
Okay, so now it gets interesting. I got a new razor in the mail! (Photo in linked thread). A Rockwell 6S. And by the time of this shave I had roughly 7 days worth of stubble growth. Decided to go with another cold water shave this time, considering it went so well with the Merkur 34C. And I really liked the GSB in the 34C so I loaded up a fresh GSB in the 6S. I stuck with the same Brutalt Bra soap and the Wee Scot brush. The 6S is very solid and quite a bit heavier than the 34C. I figured "letting the weight of the razor do the work" mantra would result in nicks and weepers so I actually held back a bit. Note that I started with plate 1, which has a blade gap of .38 mm. I didn't know that at the time, but the 34C has a blade gap of .71 mm!

The shave went well. Superbly, actually. I mowed down 7 days of growth like it wasn't even there. A super smooth shave and no nicks or irritation of any kind. I finished my shave with a new aftershave that arrived in the same shipment as the razor; Flöid Vigoroso. Awesome smelling stuff! And the menthol felt amazing. The menthol feeling lasted a lot longer than the Myrsol AS. And the scent stuck around for ages. I crashed on the sofa with a good book after my shave and felt pretty d**n good!

Shave no. 18 (Sunday July 24th)
Very excited about the previous shave, I wanted another great shave! Very short stubble this time, with 1 1/2 days growth (I shaved late in the evening on the Friday and shaved quite early this day).

Rockwell 6S, GSB (2), Brutalt Bra soap, Wee Scot brush, cold water shave. Pretty much the same as above.

To my absolute horror it felt like scraping my face with a dull letter opener. I have no idea what happened, but I got 2 weepers and a fair amount of razor burn on my neck. TWO weepers. So far, the Merkur 34C has given me none. I've had no burn, nicks or weepers since I started DE shaving again. This result reminded me of my awful experience many years ago with the Gillette Slim. I gave the 6S the stink-eye. Why did you destroy my face??

Anyway, I have no idea why. It could be that shearing off 7 days of growth was all the GSB blade could handle. It could be that plate 1 is just wrong for such short and coarse stubble. It would be I was overly confident because I had such an awesome shave two days earlier and rushed the shave. It could be that my lather was less than optimal. I don't really know. I applied my alum bar to my face and then some Flöid AS to murder any bacteria intent on making my face suffer more. Hours later I still felt pretty raw so I applied some Lucky Tiger lotion which has some witch hazel and other nice remedies.

Today it's Thursday and I haven't shaved since the shave above. As such I have 4 days of growth and my face has healed nicely. I just have to ask myself - what do I do now? Definitely get rid of the blade. Should I switch brands and try the Astra or Polsilver? Should I try the Haslinger soap? And maybe a different plate for the razor? Right now I'm thinking that I'll switch the plate for no. 3 (.72 mm blade gap) and a fresh blade. We shall see what the result is....

Sorry for the wall of text! :blush:

Last edited:
Okay then!

Shave no. 19
Rockwell 6S, plate 3, Polsilver SI (1)
Brutalt bra shaving soap, Wee Scot brush
Flöid Vigoroso AS

Finished this shave just minutes ago. And my face feels absolutely amazing. The menthol just kicked in and I'm very happy.
My previous shave was atrocious so I had to wait until my face had calmed down and my razor burn disappeared. I had a luke-warm shower, used the Wee Scot for a nice face lather and off I went. I was extra careful this time paying close attention to any tugging or discomfort. The razor and blade mowed through roughly five days growth without much resistance. It felt like the first shave I had with the 6S. I went 2x WTG and 1x XTG and a bit of clean-up afterwards, and I was rewarded with a DFS. And the aftershave smells amazing. Happy days and a great start to the weekend! I think I'll do an experiment on Sunday and shave off about 2 days growth with a fresh Polsilver blade. It could be that many days growth messes up the blade, and I don't want another shave like my previous one!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :thumbup1:

Great journal! It's very interesting to see your come back to tradition wet shaving. I'll be following the rest of your journey, and best wishes to your future shaves!

P.s. I'm curious to see your opinions on the Feather blade, compared to the Polsiver:thumbup:

Great journal! It's very interesting to see your come back to tradition wet shaving. I'll be following the rest of your journey, and best wishes to your future shaves!

P.s. I'm curious to see your opinions on the Feather blade, compared to the Polsiver:thumbup:

Hello there! And thanks for your kind comment - I appreciate it! :001_smile
I haven't tried the feather blades yet, but they are definitely on my to-do list. And I'll be sure to update the journal when I've tried them.

I just came out from the bathroom. My face feels great and I smell awesome. I know this to be true because my other half said so. :tongue_sm

Today's shave then!
Rockwell 6S, plate 4, with a fresh Polsilver SI blade
Brutalt bra soap and Wee Scot brush

I was a bit apprehensive about today's shave. It's "only" been two days since my last shave and last time I tried that, it was kind of a disaster. I went with a plate 4 today, which has a slightly bigger blade gap of 0.83 mm. I had a quick shower and lathered up and started shaving. First a WTG pass. Super smooth, no tugging or discomfort. I noticed that my neck felt a little bit sensitive, so I paid extra attention there. Lathered up again and went XTG, again very smooth and comfortable. I was left with a DFS and NO razor burn, NO weepers and NO nicks. A quick pass with the alum bloc confirmed that I hadn't made any damage. I am very happy. :laugh:
Floïd Vigoroso aftershave felt amazing and I still love that menthol chill.

So, why was shave no. 18 so brutal? I suspect two things; bad lather and dull blade. Maybe one or the other, maybe a combination of the two. I'll try a second shave with the current Polsilver blade in two days' time and maybe a third shave with the same blade if successful. We'll see and I'll keep my journal updated.

Have a great weekend! :w00t:

Great journal- I love watching AD take hold of others as it has me! It seems we start out saying "I'll just do the minimum" and then two weeks later we have a basket full of stuff we have to try! Keep up the great work! I'll be interested in your opinions of products I have yet to try (sorta new at this myself!)

Great journal- I love watching AD take hold of others as it has me! It seems we start out saying "I'll just do the minimum" and then two weeks later we have a basket full of stuff we have to try! Keep up the great work! I'll be interested in your opinions of products I have yet to try (sorta new at this myself!)
Thanks for commenting! Yeah.... I don't think there is any kind of minimum when the different ADs take hold of you. I'll definitely post my opinions on products here in the journal. :)

Glad to hear you've got your 6S problem fixed!
I wouldn't say fixed, but I'm learning more about the 6S every time I use it! :)

Another 6S shave Tuesday this week, with the same blade. And it was an awesome one.

Tuesday's shave;
Rockwell 6S, plate 4, Polsilver SI blade (second shave)
Haslinger Shafmilch and Wee Scot brush

Two days worth of stubble again. I had a nice and warm shower and decided to try a new soap for the first time. The very popular Haslinger schafmilch. It's a hard soap and it comes in a very small 60g puck. I went for a face lather again and as soon as the brush touched the soap it started creating lather. Super slick and a very mild scent. Brush loaded up, I went to the face lather. I must admit, this soap felt even better than my Brutalt Bra soap going on. Very easy to lather up. I did a WTG pass and the soap protected my face really well. It was a smooth and comfortable first pass. Lathered up again and went XTG. Another comfortable and smooth pass! I was really impressed with the soap. So much I was thinking about the best way to stock up on a bunch of pucks, "just in case". I finished with a final XTG pass and some clean-up. No nicks, no weepers and no irritation.

Next shave scheduled for this evening as I've got two days growth again. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Awesome! I might have to pick up a puck of Haslinger. I've been trying to bowl lather since I get brush burn easily, and I'm getting terrible lathers. Maybe it's Proraso, but my lathers are not slick at all. I started out wet shaving with TOBS and face lathered, and my lathers were amazing. Then, 2 months in, I began to get irritation before my razor even touched my face. Anyway, I've been hopping around trying different creams and soaps to find something that works, and nothing so far. What scent did you get?

Good luck on today's shave!:thumbup1:

Awesome! I might have to pick up a puck of Haslinger. I've been trying to bowl lather since I get brush burn easily, and I'm getting terrible lathers. Maybe it's Proraso, but my lathers are not slick at all. I started out wet shaving with TOBS and face lathered, and my lathers were amazing. Then, 2 months in, I began to get irritation before my razor even touched my face. Anyway, I've been hopping around trying different creams and soaps to find something that works, and nothing so far. What scent did you get?

Good luck on today's shave![emoji106]1:
Do it! I think it's awesome stuff, even though I've only tried it once. Of the Haslinger, I've got the sage, aloe vera and schafmilch. I haven't tried the other two yet, but I'm looking forward to it. ;)

We're on vacation right now and I wanted to "save my shave" for a lazy bed and breakfast morning. Then I realised I left my razor and blades at home! [emoji24] .. Picked up a Mach 3 at the store for the the duration of the holiday. I did bring my soaps and brush though, so it's not all bad. ;)

Do it! I think it's awesome stuff, even though I've only tried it once. Of the Haslinger, I've got the sage, aloe vera and schafmilch. I haven't tried the other two yet, but I'm looking forward to it. ;)

We're on vacation right now and I wanted to "save my shave" for a lazy bed and breakfast morning. Then I realised I left my razor and blades at home! [emoji24] .. Picked up a Mach 3 at the store for the the duration of the holiday. I did bring my soaps and brush though, so it's not all bad. ;)

Funny story.. I didn't shave with a Mach 3 till after I made the switch to safety razors. I picked one up for some rush shaves, and I gotta say, it feels way smoother on my face than any of the DE blades. Nowhere near as sharp, but way more forgiving and smooth. I also get less irritation when I use it. YMMV of course, I just have a baby face with thick hair:lol:

Top Bottom