What's new

Any Double Edge *AND* Leaf users? Do you alternate? Or____?

The twig/thorn are interesting to me. But as someone who already has a lot of DE blades, what's the best way to go about breaking them in half should I try the leaf one day?

Just bend them in the wrapper until you hear the snap.

Sheesh just thinking about that makes me nervous 😬. I have visions of the blade slipping and cutting through the paper and into my fingers.

I didn't realize they were that easy to break in half though. Still, I think I'd use a couple pairs of needle nose pliers to do it.

Sheesh just thinking about that makes me nervous 😬. I have visions of the blade slipping and cutting through the paper and into my fingers.

I didn't realize they were that easy to break in half though. Still, I think I'd use a couple pairs of needle nose pliers to do it.
Its really no big deal. With the wrapper you are well protected. Just don't snap two at once. I found that factory cut ones can do better if you are stacking blades. Snapped blades will bend differently on the ends which may or may not have a "spring" effect on the blades when stacked.

Try it, you'll find it is not scary at all. I thought it would be too, but it wasn't.

You can push up on the middle while bending, they snap really easily.

Try it, you'll find it is not scary at all. I thought it would be too, but it wasn't.

You can push up on the middle while bending, they snap really easily.

@spacemonkey42 is right -- it is quite safe and easy.

I always save the wrapper and use if for safe blade disposal. When a blade is spent, I return it to the wrapper and snap it in half lengthwise, and a second time long-ways. Compact and no sharp edges to cut the trash bag or cut your finger if you accidentally threw away a "treasure" that needs to be retrieved.

Hi all,

Hope everyone's New Year is starting out with success, happiness, good health and peace! (Chaplain in United States Chaplain Corps; so some greetings never get old. :LMS)

I have a number of DE razors (gradually moving up from closed and open comb, to no comb, sharper blades, so on). I *ALSO* have the Leaf (Twig/Thorn), which is a different system. I am sure others have both setups as well. What do you do? Do you alternate? Do you use Leaf (Twig or Thorn) on weekends, less fuss/muss, faster? Curious minds want to know. Thank you.

Cheers.

Let's eliminate the actual *Leaf* razor, for some reason the stray hairs from my beard (see my avatar) seem to get tugged by the sides of that razor.

As for the Twig, I love it, and shave with it as if it were a Schick injector. Works like a charm.

Most of my shaves are with a DE, not surprising as most of my razors are DE. No particular pattern - I just grab whatever razor grabs my attention at the moment of choice, regardless of blade format. The last couple of weeks that's been a Shield AC/SE razor that takes an AC blade on one side, and 1/2 a DE blade on the other.

Can you elaborate please? I have a twig which I intend to test in the coming weeks
I actually really like the Twig, but I found it had way too much chatter as the blade is not supported very well. This led to some random nasty cuts. The corners are particularly not supported and quite free floating. I asked them if they had a different base that offered support, but they said no. The blade is not torqued so it does not enjoy the extra rigidity from being in an arc.

The shaves were generally pretty good. The fixed angle of attack gave a pretty consistent shave (i.e. glassy face with a sharp blade) but it bit me deeply a few times too many. In 2+ years of DE/SE/AC shaving that has not happened with any other razors. It was also quite random. I think it had something to do with the flex of the floating corners.

@spacemonkey42 is right -- it is quite safe and easy.

I always save the wrapper and use if for safe blade disposal. When a blade is spent, I return it to the wrapper and snap it in half lengthwise, and a second time long-ways. Compact and no sharp edges to cut the trash bag or cut your finger if you accidentally threw away a "treasure" that needs to be retrieved.
What multitool is that? German and old? I see alox scales and exposed rivets and a beat up bail. The tools look like a modern day Chinese copy, but everything else looks very vintage. Not a Vic or a Wenger though.

What multitool is that? German and old? I see alox scales and exposed rivets and a beat up bail. The tools look like a modern day Chinese copy, but everything else looks very vintage. Not a Vic or a Wenger though.
My current avatar is a montage I put together in honor of my participation in the 2024 Restraint 2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2024-shave-purchase-sabbatical-the-year-of-macgyver.647225/

The theme of the annual "no purchase" year is "MacGuyver. The items in the photo are:
  • My grandfather's well-used Swiss army knife, which came into my possession after my Dad cared for it until last year
  • A stick of gum
  • A giant paper clip
  • A wooden match
  • Gillette Tech
  • A die on number 4, my number in GRUME
20231219_170635.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have a coarse/tough beard. Nor is my face particularly sensitive. And I shave every day. I could get away with less frequent shaving but then I would have several lifetimes of soaps to use up.

I have DEs, Injector SEs, and Gems. I like all of them, but my favorites are the Schick Injectors and the Twig.

I’m retired so I almost have as much time as I want to take to shave. Maybe once or twice a month do I have to rush. I do not have any particular rota for alternating razors. I pick whichever I’m in the mood for. Often I select the night before which razor I will use in the morning. But then I may change my mind when it comes time to shave.

The Twig gets more use than any other razor, I think. It just shaves nicely and is comfortable to use. I prefer milder razors over aggressive ones so the Twig fits that nicely.

The Twig is less fuss than a DE because it’s easier to get under the nose. It’s more fuss because every once in a while you have to break a blade in half.

Sorry this probably isn’t much help in trying to set up a routine. But no routine is more fun for me
As I think I mentioned elsewhere maybe in this thread, if I had discovered the Twig/Thorn prior to diving into DE razors, I might have stopped right there. They're that good. The design in very unique and it works. And blades for it are easy to find, either DE's (snap 'em in half) or SE blades. I spent $5.00 on 100 Shark Super Stainless SE blades. That's $.05 a blade and I usually use them twice, once on each side, so that's two-and-a-half cents per shave. I've never gotten a bad shave out of either my Twig or Thorn. In fact, I had planned on using a vintage Gillette tomorrow morning but I'm gonna switch to my Twig.) ;)

What blade(s) are you using in Twig? It seems SO mild of a shaver.

Also, the angle for me seems harder with the Twig and it seems I need more passes than usual. My skin is mid-sensitive and I don’t have coarse hair, so I must have the angle wrong. I’m very good with my Merkur 34c and even the Meiji which I use to finish up; works wonders on the comb side.

Blades? Angle? TY.
I'm sure this has been answered but I think the angle on the Twig/Thorn is shallower than the usual DE 30 degress or so.
I hold the handle of the Leaf razors more parallel with my face than I do my DE razors. And it works for me.

My current avatar is a montage I put together in honor of my participation in the 2024 Restraint 2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2024-shave-purchase-sabbatical-the-year-of-macgyver.647225/

The theme of the annual "no purchase" year is "MacGuyver. The items in the photo are:
  • My grandfather's well-used Swiss army knife, which came into my possession after my Dad cared for it until last year
  • A stick of gum
  • A giant paper clip
  • A wooden match
  • Gillette Tech
  • A die on number 4, my number in GRUME
View attachment 1788932
Stainless Steel Japan. Nice!

I actually really like the Twig, but I found it had way too much chatter as the blade is not supported very well. This led to some random nasty cuts. The corners are particularly not supported and quite free floating. I asked them if they had a different base that offered support, but they said no. The blade is not torqued so it does not enjoy the extra rigidity from being in an arc.

The shaves were generally pretty good. The fixed angle of attack gave a pretty consistent shave (i.e. glassy face with a sharp blade) but it bit me deeply a few times too many. In 2+ years of DE/SE/AC shaving that has not happened with any other razors. It was also quite random. I think it had something to do with the flex of the floating corners.

I appreciate this comment. I was considering a twig/thorn but I already struggle with blade chatter on some DE razors that don't support the blade well. It's due to my wisker characteristics on my neck that not everyone has (thick whiskers that lay flat against the skin).

Cheeks, chin, mustache, and below my ears there is no problem with any razor. But on either side of my Adam's apple I have swirls and whiskers that lay flat. I get terrible blade chatter there with some razors.

I appreciate this comment. I was considering a twig/thorn but I already struggle with blade chatter on some DE razors that don't support the blade well. It's due to my wisker characteristics on my neck that not everyone has (thick whiskers that lay flat against the skin).

Cheeks, chin, mustache, and below my ears there is no problem with any razor. But on either side of my Adam's apple I have swirls and whiskers that lay flat. I get terrible blade chatter there with some razors.
I have the same issue. The Twig is not a solution to that unless you want to feel a painful "lunk" "lunk" of hair and metal springing around.

You can try doing the Gillette slide when going AGT on the swirls. That may help, or try something like an AC razor which will obliterate them.

I find the Thorn a good razor; it's specially useful for head shaving (in my case....a no drama (no special attention needed).

It gives an OK shave, quickly......is it better than most of my other razors....NO. Just good for a fast quick shave....same as a 1 or 2 blade cart or disposable.....

I have the same issue. The Twig is not a solution to that unless you want to feel a painful "lunk" "lunk" of hair and metal springing around.

You can try doing the Gillette slide when going AGT on the swirls. That may help, or try something like an AC razor which will obliterate them.

I hadn't heard of the Gillette slide before but I kind of learned to do that through trial and error. It took me way too long to map my beard but once I did my shaves improved very quickly.

As far as razors go, I get great results from a post war Tech, New LC, Timeless .68/.95 oc, and Blackland Sabre. The Vector works but doesn't seem as smooth as the others.

I hadn't heard of the Gillette slide before but I kind of learned to do that through trial and error. It took me way too long to map my beard but once I did my shaves improved very quickly.

As far as razors go, I get great results from a post war Tech, New LC, Timeless .68/.95 oc, and Blackland Sabre. The Vector works but doesn't seem as smooth as the others.
If you have all those, I don't think the Twig will offer much. Maybe the Leaf will add some variety? The New SC with SC cap might also be of interest, it is much different than the New LC. It clamps down hard near the edge and has no chatter.

One nice thing about SE is that you don't need to pay attention to the angle so much. This both good and bad.

You could also try a multirazor solution. Use the best tool for the job at the right time. Since you have quite a collection already, why not?

Top Bottom