What's new

Lead out?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a few minor streaks of lead in the grooves of the barrel of the used Cobra .38 I bought several months ago. I've only put 60 rounds through it and didn't notice the lead before I shot it, but it could have had some remnants. They didn't come out after a good cleaning after shooting it.

I looked for some Chore Boy at Wallyworld, but they had none. Neither did Walgreens. I guess the crack heads have screwed something else up.

I've heard of this method before but never tried it. I ran a patch soaked in Kroil down the barrel to get it good and oiled up and am going to let it sit overnight, then run a new .45 caliber bronze brush down it several times.

Anyone used this method before?

Wallyworld had some FMJ .38s that I thought about buying and running through it like we used to do when we qualified with lead bullets then ran the 18 rounds of jacketed hollow points through it at the last, then were issued more duty ammo, but I thought I would try this first.

I've heard of this method before but never tried it. I ran a patch soaked in Kroil down the barrel to get it good and oiled up and am going to let it sit overnight, then run a new .45 caliber bronze brush down it several times.

Anyone used this

I don't see how that could hurt anything, as long as you dont scratch up your bore with the oversize copper brush. I think I would switch over to a correct sized jag and patches before scrubbing a huge amount with the oversized brush if it were me. You could always double up your patches to make them a tight fit.

One other option, and it should be used carefully in my opinion, would be to try J-B Bore Compound. J-B Bore Compound is mildly abrasive and WILL remove lead, but you may remove bore metal if you overdo it. If you try J-B, I would suggest following the directions to the letter.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been using the next size bigger than the caliber bore brush for decades, auk. Never had a problem. Bronze and copper are softer than steel.

I've heard of J-B, but never used it or know anyone that has. This is just a few minor streaks in the grooves. I've bent many a bore brush to a 90 degree angle to get the forcing cone, but the forcing cone on this one looks fine. No more lead than I shoot I don't think I need to get a Lewis Lead Remover.

I'll put a bore light on it tomorrow before I clean it and take a pic.

I have used the Chore Boy method and it works. For a revolver, it is better to invest in a Lewis Lead Remover kit. It comes with a jig for removing the lead spatter from the forcing cone. It does a fantastic job. You can clean the lead out of the worst barrel in just a minute or two.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 one the Lewis lead remover! Faster and easier than other methods. Less elbow grease, one or two passes will usually do the trick. J-B bore cleaner or Flitz on a tight cleaning patch will work, but a lot more elbow grease.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah, I think I'll invest in a Lewis Lead Remover. Since I got this little snubby I seem to be finding myself shooting more lead than jacketed.

Put about a half of box of combined 158 gr. RNL and some 148 gr. LWCs through it a bit ago. I'll run the rest of my target ammo through it tomorrow. It's setting in my office after being brushed and patched in #9 to soak overnight.

The Kroil and .45 bore brush worked well, but not great. Shooting it after that treatment it seems to have cleaned up the barrel a bit more.

Maybe I just need to shoot it quite a bit. Naww, that wouldn't help. :lol:

I'll pick up some of the .38 FMJ stuff at Wallyworld tomorrow and see how that works; never shot any of that and didn't know they made it now-a-days until recently. 21 bucks for a box of 50.

My groups at 7 yards are getting better, but I can shoot one hole groups at 7 yards with my L frame or Officers ACP and I can't do that yet with the snubby. Guess I need to get used to it more. The only target ammo I've shot through it so far are Magtechs, so I'll try some Winchester and Remington RNL in it later and see what happens. The brand shouldn't make that much of a difference though.

I'll post some pics. of the groups between the Colt snubby, the L frame, and the Colt Officers ACP when I get the time to mess with them all.

It's nice to be able to walk out in the backyard and pop off as many rounds as you want.

I shoot black powder cartridge rifles and they often pick up some leading in the course of a 40 round match. My trick for lead removal is using a tight fitting cloth patch saturated with gum turpentine. It works very well. You need to use real gum turpentine not the synthetic stuff you find in most paint stores. The best place to find it is an art supply retailer.

Top Bottom