What's new

Le Creuset alternatives?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here it is. It is 29 cm, or 11.4 inches.
staub.png

A few years back I really, really wanted a Le Creuset Dutch Oven. But man, that's a pricey piece.

So my partner convinced me that for like a quarter of the price, I should buy a Cuisinart one at TJ Maxx. With very regular use, there's no wearing of enamel, no chipping, and it's wicked good.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I bake twice weekly bread in Kirkland branded cast iron Dutch ovens. 500F for over an hour, they don’t look pretty anymore, enamel is slightly wearing, but they still do a decent job. I have mistreated these pots and have found them very durable. Good value, long lasting.

I have a Lodge and a Le Creuset. I started with the Lodge hoping it would be a good substitution. It does a pretty good job but if you have the $ I would opt for the Le Creuset. The Lodge I have is chipped in several places. The bottom is stained pretty badly and overall it’s a bit shabby but loved. The Le Creuset looks about perfect. I’m not too bother by the white enamel turning color. That is just character and patin. It‘s a essential kitchen item and perfect for the fall.

Have both Lodge and LeCreuset. Really can't tell the difference. Kind of prefer Lodge because they are a local (Tennessee) business. Also...Lodge pricing is a lot more sane than LeCreuset.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I currently have both Staub & Le Creuset in various sizes. I also had a Lodge. The enamel coating is definitely better on the Staub & Le Creuset. They all get a lot of use, but if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go all in on the Staub. It's black matte interior enamel does a beautiful job of searing meats and is much easier to keep looking nice without showing the staining that the white interior enamel of the Le Creuset will on occasion.
So here I am, about four years into the Staub and even bought a second one (oval). I absolutely love them. There is nothing wrong with them. They do everything I expected and yet I feel like I am somehow missing out by not having a Le Creuset. I think I need to be talked off the ledge from getting a 5.5 quart Le Creuset Dutch oven.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
So here I am, about four years into the Staub and even bought a second one (oval). I absolutely love them. There is nothing wrong with them. They do everything I expected and yet I feel like I am somehow missing out by not having a Le Creuset. I think I need to be talked off the ledge from getting a 5.5 quart Le Creuset Dutch oven.

Do it! You know you want to. :innocent:

You know we all do a lot better job of enabling than dissuading around here. :devil:

Having done the very thing you are
thinking about doing, I can say with experience that I prefer the Staub. Mainly for the reasons that have been discussed in the previous posts.

Nevertheless, if you're like me, you won't be able to shake that itch until you scratch it!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Having done the very thing you are
thinking about doing, I can say with experience that I prefer the Staub. Mainly for the reasons that have been discussed in the previous posts.

Nevertheless, if you're like me, you won't be able to shake that itch until you scratch it!
I think the biggest reason I want one is because that’s what Mrs. OldSaw wanted originally. Reminds her of Julia Child. I convinced her that Staub is better.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I think the biggest reason I want one is because that’s what Mrs. OldSaw wanted originally. Reminds her of Julia Child. I convinced her that Staub is better.
Possessing only a stained Le Creuset I wish I'd learned of the Staub alternative earlier.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think Julia may have used Descoware (pretty sure that's Descoware on her stove) which can be found on eBay and Etsy. Others have already covered most of the points like MIC vs MIF. Some find it easier to monitor their cooking on the white LC interior. One thing I do not like about CI or ECI is that it is prone to uneven cooking and hot spots. In an oven that is irrelevant, but on a stove, especially when browning things, it is an issue. You can certainly overcome it by being very attentive and moving things around.
95A415E2-60C1-47A3-B4C4-8072FED727B3.jpeg
This brings me to what I believe is the best alternative, heavy, tinned copper. Daubieres and Dutch ovens can be found on eBay for prices not too different from LC or Staub retail prices. Julia certainly loved heavy, tinned copper.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
In the years since I first posted in this thread I have picked up some additional Staub pieces and am down to one Le Creuset dutch oven. I still like the Staub better.

Tonights dinner... Black Beans & Rice put on to simmer just before this post.
IMG_0351 (1).jpeg

IMG_0353 (1).jpeg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I owned both Le Creuset and Staub. I find that Staub is a bit better. The lid isn't the same, Staub has that texture that will redistribute any evaporation better. Also, my Staubs are black inside but LeCreuset was white. They didn't stay white...

Top Bottom