What's new

Le Creuset alternatives?

Not so long ago I started spending a lot of time in the kitchen and got carried away with cooking. The problem did not keep me waiting, I love fried noodles, but I could not find anywhere normal frying pan for a wok. My wife, when she found out about the problem, got involved in the search too, and she found these options. Maybe they'll fit you, I think they're the perfect shape for cooking.

Our house has the Staub, LeCreuset and Lodge as well. The Lodge was purchased as an "experiment" to replace a *** nonstick pan (SWMBO loved) that I accidentally threw away. In order to get over the weight, too hard to clean complaints I agreed take care of cleaning and taking in/out of the cupboard... until I bought her a Staub with the rooster on it.. That became her favorite and is almost always on the stove simmering something. She has since decided that it is isn't too heavy, and really not that hard to clean... I also picked up a LeCreuset to fill in a size gap. I like all three but I like the Staub just a bit more.

I also have "normal" cast iron (and carbon steel) but use the enameled stuff when I have acidic foods that will cook for extended times. SWMBO says she doesn't want to mess up my fancy CI or carbon steel pans but I think it is a thinly veiled excuse to have me do most of the cooking :ohmy: (just don't tell her I actually like to cook )

I love Le Creuset (my mother, who was a superb cook, swore by it and gave me some).
I also enjoy plain cast iron, but my wife dislikes its weight.

There's a new outfit called Made In Cookware that's caught my eye.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a staub and I would’ve go back to lecreuset. The bumps in the lid make a difference while cooking. The inside is black instead of white. It looks cleaner!

About 20 years ago, my wife purchased a Well Equipped Kitchen dutch oven from TJ Maxx. I've been using it ever since and it's held up remarkably well. With the exception of a few chips on the lid (which were obviously my fault), it's been a kitchen workhorse.

However, if money is of no consideration, Le Creuset is an outstanding option. My Mother-in-Law has one that's ancient and it's works beautifully.

I have a staub and I would’ve go back to lecreuset. The bumps in the lid make a difference while cooking. The inside is black instead of white. It looks cleaner!
You would or wouldn't go back to Le Creuset? I think you meant "wouldn't" but not 100% sure. I like the black inside better, doesn't show staining.

We love our LC (got a factory 2nd at Winners for a good price), but also have a Staub that we haven't used yet. I'm not sure if you saw, but Costco up here carries them the odd time in store (locked cabinet near jewelery) and online. Just make sure it says Cast Iron and not Stoneware

We got it for $169 (and another $20 off) when we picked it up before Christmas. It is smaller than our larger round LC, but that what we wanted.

Staub Enameled 5.4 L (5.7 qt.) Oval Cast Iron Covered Casserole
Item # ‌1398361‌
$ 169.99
Quantity 1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-111333.png
    Screenshot_20200215-111333.png
    649.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You would or wouldn't go back to Let Creuset? I think you meant "wouldn't" but not 100% sure. I like the black inside better, doesn't show staining.

We love our LC (got a factory 2nd at Winners for a good price), but also have a Staub that we haven't used yet. I'm not sure if you saw, but Costco up here carries them the odd time in store (locked cabinet near jewelery) and online. Just make sure it says Cast Iron and not Stoneware

We got it for $169 (and another $20 off) when we picked it up before Christmas. It is smaller than our larger round LC, but that what we wanted.

Staub Enameled 5.4 L (5.7 qt.) Oval Cast Iron Covered Casserole
Item # ‌1398361‌
$ 169.99
Quantity 1
Autocorrect got me

I would not go back to LeCreuset.
I am sold on Staub

Autocorrect got me

I would not go back to LeCreuset.
I am sold on Staub
That's what I thought and I'm glad to hear.

We will break out the Staub soon, just haven't had the need to yet. Staub seems to be well regarded so I have a feeling we will be happy with it.

We scooped a like new Staub that the neighbour left at the curb.

They otherwise seem like sane people. Why they would give away that excellent pot, I do not know.

No need for us to try Le Creuset!

We scooped a like new Staub that the neighbour left at the curb.

They otherwise seem like sane people. Why they would give away that excellent pot, I do not know.

No need for us to try Le Creuset!
Can't beat that. Maybe they didn't know what they had.

Either way, nice score.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They help to drop water everywhere into the pot instead of water(condensation) going on the sides only
Ah, makes sense. My wife got Food Network branded enamels (suspect they are made by Lodge) and they have them. Our Lodge Dutch oven does too.

We have Le Creuset & Staub but also use a vintage Wagner 10" and a range of ScanPans. Depends on what's cooking. I usually do steaks & chops in the Wagner, chicken in the ScanPans or Staub, and anything acidic in the Staub. The Staub 12" & Wagner 10" skillets were both yardsale buys, maybe $8 into both. The rest we paid full pop for.

We use the Le Creuset the least. Not because we don't like it but because we don't cook those dishes much anymore. The Wagner gets plenty of use, it puts the best finish on steaks & chops. The Staub is ideal when I do curry or pasta meat sauce. Sometimes I use it for chicken too. The ScanPans get used for chicken & omelets and any of the above are fine on bacon. The ScanPans also do a good job on steaks & chops but not as good as the Wagner.

Starting from scratch I'd look at every review I could find on quality & longevity. There are many enameled cookware brands out there and some do not last. The best thing about the big names is that the ceramic is tough and hard to chip. Some of the lesser brands chip easily.

My $0.02 on it.

I had a 20 piece all clad set that I ended giving the entire set to my brother. It was just too much cleaning. Now all I have is a 5 quart le cruset dutch oven, a cast iron skillet and sauce pan, and a little skillet to cook eggs. The Le Cruset is so easy to clean and will last to the end.

I did not know about staub, but I did have a Martha Stewart dutch oven which the enamel chipped off after one or two uses. I'd stay away from those no matter what kind of deal you get.

Let me spend more of your money :) :) :). These are awesome with induction cooktops.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I picked up a Staub small casserole pan at a Staub outlet store- a remarkable enameled CI, IMO

Top Bottom