What's new

lazer sights

im looking for recommendations for lazer sights, either barrel mounted or rail mounted. its going on an AR platform. i would like to keep the price down as much as possible but around $100 is what i was thinking.

At the risk of sounding ungentlemanly--not my intention--I'm not sure why anyone would want a laser sight on a rifle. Perhaps you can tell us what you want to use the rifle/sight for.

I find a red dot sight gives me near-instantaneous target acquisition at any conceivable SD distance, plus enough accuracy to take out varmints at 50-100yds. So that's the way I went.

I would second the advice for a red dot over a laser; you'll never be able to see it.

In fact, I'd advise iron sights over a laser as well. There is no substitute for knowing how to use the weapon; get the sights on target instead of looking for the laser dot, it'll take less time...that you may not have.

I can highly recommend the Aimpoint CompM4...or it's earlier variants that will cost you less money. :001_smile

get the sights on target instead of looking for the laser dot, it'll take less time...that you may not have.

I've had a couple of instructors inveigh against lasers, even for SD pistols, because of that time factor. For highly trained people who will train extensively with the laser, yes; in others they see a lot of "hunting for the dot."

What the other guys said plus 100.00 is not going to buy you a "lazer" that will hold zero under recoil let alone day in/day out handling of a field/working/competition AR.

david aka dojpros

At the risk of sounding ungentlemanly--not my intention--I'm not sure why anyone would want a laser sight on a rifle. Perhaps you can tell us what you want to use the rifle/sight for.

I find a red dot sight gives me near-instantaneous target acquisition at any conceivable SD distance, plus enough accuracy to take out varmints at 50-100yds. So that's the way I went.

the rifle is for my father, who is blind in his shooting eye, and is unable to shoot left handed, so this was the solution i came up with. i didnt take it as ungentlemanly, unless you intended to slap me with a glove :p

I would second the advice for a red dot over a laser; you'll never be able to see it.

In fact, I'd advise iron sights over a laser as well. There is no substitute for knowing how to use the weapon; get the sights on target instead of looking for the laser dot, it'll take less time...that you may not have.

I can highly recommend the Aimpoint CompM4...or it's earlier variants that will cost you less money. :001_smile

it isnt a lack of knowledge on how to use a rifle and sights and more of an eye-sewn-shut kinda situation.

What the other guys said plus 100.00 is not going to buy you a "lazer" that will hold zero under recoil let alone day in/day out handling of a field/working/competition AR.

david aka dojpros

the rifle isnt going to be used all day every day. its intended as a home defence and range gun. my father who is going to have the rifle is blind on his shooting eye and insists he cant shoot left handed, so this was what i came up with. for me i personally like good iron sights to anything else. but then again i have full function of both eyes and can shoot both left and right handed.

thanks everyone for the advice

There's a green laser by Creative Era on a retail website for $28 that has received amazing reviews. That's one route to go, especially since you won't be out that much.

If you end up going the red dot route, I highly recommend the Truglo Tru-Brite dual color multi reticle sight. It cost me approximately $75 and it has done a spectacular job maintaining zero on my AR-15 with a fairly aggressive muzzle brake.

Top Bottom