What's new

Lathering on the Face vs Lathering in the Bowl/Scuttle etc.

I've done both. For the last 6 months or so I've been mostly bowl lathering, but recently I've discovered that some of my brushes work better when I face lather. So for now I choose one or the other based upon which works best with the brush I choose to use that day.

Bowl lathering provides me that LAST application with the lather AFTER the shave when I begin cleanup.
Leaving a fresh layer of lather on the face actually seems to transfer more of the good feeling stuff to my face after leaving it there for a few minutes. Actually with some premium soaps, one doesn't need a balm.

And I've also come to the conclusion that exfoliation every day is not necessary.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
~40+ years ago I started using a cheap (synthetic) brush and soap. No one taught me, no instructions etc. I would wet the brush and use it to wet the soap. I would lather on my face. I used a cartridge blade (Gillette double blade).

For a while now I have been interested in trying a straight razor, so I ordered a shavette along with a straight edge (still on order). I watched videos on the straight edged and realized they were lathering in a bowl. (OK, I can be out of touch at times.) I have been trying that. I am amazed at the lather I am able to produce! However, it seems like lathering on my face, although producing less lather, actually softens the bristles more - and gives a better shave. Thoughts? And thanks...
I generally bowl lather. Since I shave after showering my beard is well hydrated so there isn’t any noticeable difference. Regarding the straight razor, don’t expect much at first and don’t get discouraged. Once you learn to use a straight, you will find how wonderful straight shaving is - far superior to a DE in comfort. If you do it daily for a month, you will start getting good shaves. A shavette is a good way to learn because you will have a sharp razor without maintenance and can concentrate on learning to shave. Best to learn to shave first then learn to hone and strop afterwards. Just remember - tight angle and light pressure. In the beginning, just shave your cheeks until the initial trepidation fades and you become comfortable using an open blade and you will be on your way. It can be a pain at first but is very much worth the trouble in the end.

I’m just starting in on the badger and boar brushes. For building up a load from the soap puck, is it best to go in with a wetter or a dryer brush?

I generally bowl lather. Since I shave after showering my beard is well hydrated so there isn’t any noticeable difference. Regarding the straight razor, don’t expect much at first and don’t get discouraged. Once you learn to use a straight, you will find how wonderful straight shaving is - far superior to a DE in comfort. If you do it daily for a month, you will start getting good shaves. A shavette is a good way to learn because you will have a sharp razor without maintenance and can concentrate on learning to shave. Best to learn to shave first then learn to hone and strop afterwards. Just remember - tight angle and light pressure. In the beginning, just shave your cheeks until the initial trepidation fades and you become comfortable using an open blade and you will be on your way. It can be a pain at first but is very much worth the trouble in the end.

Thanks! Trying to lather in the bowl hasn't been doing it for me (using a horse hair brush). However trying it has caused me to work the puck a little more before doing the face lather.

As for the SR, in hindsight you are correct on starting with the shavette. I am trying to remember four things as I shave: stretch, tight angle, light pressure and keep the motion perpendicular. I did just receive an SR and am trying that on my cheeks only, before continuing with the shavette. I still need to get the stropping down. I am sure I have a big cut in my future as I get a little more comfortable and relax too much.

I’m just starting in on the badger and boar brushes. For building up a load from the soap puck, is it best to go in with a wetter or a dryer brush?

I am the wrong person to answer so hopefully someone else with chime in. I did just receive my first badger brush, a cheap one. I have only used it twice so far. Compared to my horse hair and synthetic brushes, the badger brush seems to take a lot more water.

I’ve tried both and prefer face lathering, for some reason it just feels much easier for me than using a bowl. I’ve never been unsatisfied with the results I get.

Bowl latherer here. I can really watch the lather carefully and see it progress from more of a paste into a yogurt like texture with soft peaks and a nice sheen. Once I have that in my bowl I move to my face and really scrub the lather into my beard. I take my time and then when I feel the lather is properly worked into my beard I paint on a nice thick layer using upward strokes that tend to go against the grain so I'm not pressing my beard down as I paint on the lather. That is only necessary for my first pass because after the first pass I have so little hair on my face I can just work the lather into my face for a bit and then paint it on with downward strokes for the second, third and touch up passes. It works for me and I have no desire to change.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks! Trying to lather in the bowl hasn't been doing it for me (using a horse hair brush). However trying it has caused me to work the puck a little more before doing the face lather.

As for the SR, in hindsight you are correct on starting with the shavette. I am trying to remember four things as I shave: stretch, tight angle, light pressure and keep the motion perpendicular. I did just receive an SR and am trying that on my cheeks only, before continuing with the shavette. I still need to get the stropping down. I am sure I have a big cut in my future as I get a little more comfortable and relax too much.

I am the wrong person to answer so hopefully someone else with chime in. I did just receive my first badger brush, a cheap one. I have only used it twice so far. Compared to my horse hair and synthetic brushes, the badger brush seems to take a lot more water.
Just take it slow in the beginning and all will begin to fall into place. Same with stropping. A great way to get your muscle memory down in stropping is to take a table knife and strop your pant leg while you’re watching tv. Stropping just becomes an unconscious activity. The sooner you stop thinking about what you are doing, the better. I simply count laps while I do it to keep my mind from wandering and stay focused in a mindless sort of way - a Zen moment I suppose. My favorite brush is an Omega Pro 10048 boar. Less than $19 on Amazon - 11 years on it now. Brushes are just a personal preference thing. No need to spend a fortune. It’s just shaving.

I have bowl lathered almost primarily (except with a shave stick) since I started in February 2019.

Saw a thread here recently about face lathering and thought I'd give it a try - primarily because while overall I like my Fine lathering bowl - the lather is constantly falling out the low edges of the bowl.

Today makes three days of face lathering only and I really enjoy it. It's like I get a little minute or two extra face pampering included in the whole shaving experience.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I’ve always been a bowl lather person, until I started speaking with @EclipseRedRing and found out that head/face lathering could be equally as enjoyable, if not more.

Now, my choice is dictated first by practicality, then by preference. If I’m not home, then it’s a face/head lather, since it’s one less thing to pack. Otherwise it’s whatever I feel like on the day :). On average, I think I bowl lather about 1/3 of the time.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I used to face lather and still do when using certain softer croaps. But I've found with a puck, I'm able to whip up much more lather in a bowl than I can working it on my face. A recent change in routine that has paid dividends.

I love the simplicity and wheels-to-the-road feel of face-lathering. I never waste product and know exactly when my lather is just right, because I can actually feel it. I only need 2 passes of lather so never have the need for a bowl to hold lots of product.

I do both.

build my lather in a bowl. even before using a SR, i would adjust on the face adding more water.....

now I throw a ton of water at it in the bowl.......and still sometimes add water on the face.

a lot of this depends upon the soap maker I'm using.....thats the biggest deciding factor in my world.

some soaps I like lean more toward "sticky"......or have a heavy soap residue feeling (triple and quad milleds) which is close to sticky. now that im learning a little more........I can get by with more fluff and a little less slick. if I go that route it seems like its almost too much cushion........but the blade still gets its work done to my surprise.

then.......as @rbscebu says......."you're shaving off lather.."

camo

Last edited:
I've mainly face lathered ,but lately bowl lathering seems best. It does take you getting the water ratio right, but with all soaps I find a ten minute brush soak and soap bloom, squeeze brush of water and soak up the bloom water. You can feel the lather turn into something lovely and creamy.

I bowl lather most of the time, but if for some reason I miss a day (I shave daily) then I enjoy face lathering and working the brush and lather into the longer growth feels really good.

If I get a new soap in, I will do a practice lather in my palm to really get a feel for it and also check it wont irritate me.

Top Bottom