What's new

Lathering on the Face vs Lathering in the Bowl/Scuttle etc.

~40+ years ago I started using a cheap (synthetic) brush and soap. No one taught me, no instructions etc. I would wet the brush and use it to wet the soap. I would lather on my face. I used a cartridge blade (Gillette double blade).

For a while now I have been interested in trying a straight razor, so I ordered a shavette along with a straight edge (still on order). I watched videos on the straight edged and realized they were lathering in a bowl. (OK, I can be out of touch at times.) I have been trying that. I am amazed at the lather I am able to produce! However, it seems like lathering on my face, although producing less lather, actually softens the bristles more - and gives a better shave. Thoughts? And thanks...

I straight shave and face lather. Bowl lathering can dial in a new soap a bit easier... some guys with sensitive skin prefer bowl lathering to save facial scrubbing. But I prefer to face lather, and with boar or badger brushes.

A really wet lather is crucial to SR shaving I've heard. I have a lot of experience bowl lathering and some experience face lathering and I'm able to get a wetter lather much easier via the bowl.

If you keep on the face, when you finally hydrate your lather enough to where it's super wet and slick, it has a tendency to fly off.

Also, if you're concerned about making your soaps last a long time, and getting the best value from your soaps, then the bowl can really help with that. There's no waste concentrate going down the drain after that first pass. And so that's why I can make a tub of Stirling soap last over a year.
And that's not with skimpy lathers but three or four luxurious passes per shave.

There are benefits to face lathering though and there are many good examples of that on YouTube. So I just recommend trying those and see which one you like best.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried bowl and face lathering and I get a slightly better lather using a bowl. The reason is that for me using a bowl is purely an exercise in lather creation, but I find it a joyless and utilitarian process. If you want bubble free lather for SOTD images then that is the way to go. By contrast face lathering is fun and it feels great, there is simply no comparison. For me, shaving is more than mere beard reduction and less about the result, that is almost irrelevant. Instead it is much more about how shaving makes me feel good; happy about life and about myself. I count myself very fortunate in that. I will stick with face lathering👍

I like the zen like feeling of a nice shave but I also like the minimalist approach so I splash water on my face, wet my boar brush and face lather (and I don't take much time doing that either) and just shave. Whether it's with a DE or with a straight, my approach is pretty much the same.

I have variety in the soap/cream selection but that's about it. I have one DE razor and several different straight razors (but one is all I "need").

For me it's all about time, so straight to the face. Sometimes I do it in a bowl..... Quality of lather....maybe some people get better in a bowl taking their time..... For me synthetic brush and facelather works best. Any soap/cream

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I go through periods of face lathering, and periods of bowl lathering. Both work equally well for me. Right now, I'm in a bowl phase, but I kinda' feel a change coming on--especially as I read threads like this.

It's all part of the enjoyment (as opposed to chore) of shaving with all the wonderful tools, sundries and potions at our disposal.

I do a combination of both. I use a scuttle because warm lather is heavenly.
I start off in the scuttle and then move to the face. I have some nice hot lather left over for any touch ups or passes

As a confirmed shower shaver (since early teens, now in, shall l we say 50's) I've always been a face lather guy. I do own a couple of bowls for lathering but always find it a faff, cleaning up afterwards, etc.

Really, it’s about available time and the preferred experience.
Face lathering is a time saving method that preps and softens the whiskers while exfoliating the skin at the same time.
Bowl lathering is for when time is not a factor (I’m retired). In a hot shower, I use a facial cleanser and then an exfoliating facial scrub. This deep cleanses the face and preps for the shave. When I come out, my whiskers are standing at attention and seem to have grown a millimetre in length. I’m ready for the shave. With the face and whiskers already prepped I like to lovingly prepare a bowl full of perfect lather. Since my face is already prepped, a nice soft luxurious brush is the perfect tool. A hedonistic shave.

i always face lather....i like feel of the brush scrubbing on my face. Also feels like i save some time by softening the beard while face lathering as opposed to bowl lathering. Plus one less thing to clean up in the mornings.

I always face lather but I've been trying bowl lather the past couple weeks. I can make a hydrated lather much more quickly with the bowl lather because of the amount of water I can put in. I still enjoy face lather for a relaxing and massaging feature but bowl lather will give a quicker hydrated lather.

Thanks all for the replies! I am always learning from this site! Down the road I might try a scuttle, but I've spent too much money on shaving supplies recently to buy anything now.

I get less irritation when bowl lathering and like having lots of lather on hand for additional passes and touch ups.

I generally store my soap in my lather bowl. This two in one approach makes whipping up a lather and cleaning up quick and easy.

Last edited:
I am a bowl latherer. To be honest I have not tried face lathering but I only shave my neck which is quite sensitive so I stick with the bowl. I enjoy the work of getting a good lather in a bowl but miss the scrub. It’s a YMMV choice for sure.

I enjoy both - bowl lathering takes a few seconds longer and i can get larger volumes, but in reality i just dont need that much lather for every shave.
Being stuck at home these past weeks (months?) has seen lots more bowl lathering going on.

Top Bottom