What's new

Lather issues

I have been at this for a few years, but I think I have always had lather issues. I normally face lather. Last few months, I have been using the dreaded can goo and got decent shaves. I went back to soaps a couple of weeks ago. This is a side effect of my various ADs.

The question is am I the only one that has later caked up on the bottom of the blade? If so, is this because my lather isn’t wet enough? Do I need to just add more water when I’m working it.

Background: I am a single pass “WTG” shaver mon-fri. Using mostly DEs but have had the same results with the recent SEs I have tried. For the most part I don’t get irritation. I just feel like this is bad for the blades and the life of the razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds to me like you might have too much product. You could try some more water or try cutting back on the soap. Maybe a photo next time you shave and have the problem might help us out a little more.

Heavy lather is usually a sign of not enough water because it generally rinses off easily if at the correct consistency. Try adding more water and that should improve.

For the most part I don’t get irritation. I just feel like this is bad for the blades and the life of the razors.

If you are getting shaves that you are happy with--comfortable and irritation free--then you probably don't need to change anything. Lather can be rinsed from the razors. I don't think "thick lather" is bad for the blade or the life of the razor.

But if you want to tune your lather creation, then I am in accord with the others who suggest you add more water, and perhaps load less soap onto the brush.

If you are getting shaves that you are happy with--comfortable and irritation free--then you probably don't need to change anything. Lather can be rinsed from the razors. I don't think "thick lather" is bad for the blade or the life of the razor.

But if you want to tune your lather creation, then I am in accord with the others who suggest you add more water, and perhaps load less soap onto the brush.

+1! Using canned goo is perfectly fine if it works for you!

If you choose to build your own lather, then I suggest you read through the Wiki and, most likely, more water.

Thank you all for the advice. I am not opposed to the goo it was more the fact that it caked to blade. I also did some side digging and discovered a pictorial on how to build a lather. I discovered that I was over loading my brush and needed to add a few steps. Since Monday, I have had pretty good lathers and nothing stuck to the blade at the end of my shave.

Whenever my lather is too dry, it tends to get caked onto my blade. Especially, when I’m using razors with a mild blade exposure.

I'm new to lathering also, but have found that a bowl helps me get a good lather. You can tell if it needs more water before it goes on your face. Also, a cream is easier to lather than a soap.... YMMV... good luck!

Tutorial: How to make lather from a shaving cream with a bowl
Tutorial: How to make lather from a shaving cream with a bowl - https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=73886&share_tid=150737&url=https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/index.php?threads/Tutorial%3A-How-to-make-lather-from-a-shaving-cream-with-a-bowl.150737/&share_type=t&link_source=app

This is the post I found that helped me the most, in case anyone has been looking. I was overloading the brush for sure. I have almost completely eliminated the sticking to the bottom of the blade. The shaves I’ve been fairly smooth considering I was working some new razors in as well.

Top Bottom