What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Lee Valley Tools sells a polished granite slab that will fit four different grades of film (one per corner), and is guaranteed flat to 4 or 5 decimal places (metric).

Excellent, except it is too heavy to hone in hand, which is important, especially for a newbie interested only in the best possible results.

I suppose that burr formation along the entire length can be detected visually with the naked eye and by touch. How about detection of the need for a pull stroke -- how is this done? Also, what is recommended as an aid for visual inspection?

The loupe people recommend for jewelry work is the BelOMO 10x Triplet Loupe which has a 0.65"/17mm viewing area (BelOMO 20x is cheaper but has a smaller viewing area of 0.28"/7mm) -- would either of these be helpful for the finishing/balsa stages?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Somewhat helpful, yeah. Most Method honers just go at it, on the balsa. You can't really overdo it because of the light pressure used. But you can also analyze scratch patterns. A 100x or 200x USB microscope can be handy for that. It zeroes in on a small area though, and so a loupe can give a useful perspective on a wider area. You can use magnification, or not. Either way. Belomo makes nice loupes. Worth the price? Up to you.

Thanks, everybody for your input! I went to Lowe's and the service rep. didn't have polished granite or marble tiles. I explained my situation and he selected a saddle that is made of polished marble. They sell it in 4 × 36 strips. I asked if I buy it would he be able to cut it in 3 4 x 12 strips. He said he could. So I took the piece to the tool dept and took a level off the rack to check flatness throughout. Eureka! Yes, the sucker was flat throughout. I now have 3 4 x 12 pieces. My only concern is that the side edges are sharp but it slopes instead of straight down.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A member suggested this loupe to me. I like it very much. It was also very inexpensive.

proxy.php

Link.

I've tried several. Some are way hard to use according to me. Some are junk. Some are cumbersome. None are perfect. I like this one because the focus is easy (there isn't any focus except moving it, the object, and my eyes) and the light is bright, and the handle is nice, and the images are clear enough to be useful as well as large enough.

If you find the perfect loupe please let everyone (me especially) know. Unless it costs too much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Another victim of the lapping film here:). Just tried honing my test Gold Dollar 1996. I used a small beryl hone as backing. Mostly circles and some x strokes to finish each stage. I had seven films and skipped the first two since this razor was essentially shave ready. After the first I had a zero on the HHT. I could tell the sharpness going up with each pass (although strangely I am not sure the last one (0.1µM) added much sharpness). In no time and without taking much care I got this razor the sharpest It has been so far. The shave wasn't even as harsh as I feared. Great.

Hello all

Does anyone know where I can get lapping film in Spain? And what it's called in Spanish?

I'm trying to avoid buying it on Amazon because it's only available on Amazon.com, not .es, and shipping costs up the price quite a bit. The other option is Ebay but are they reliable?

Ah, and what grades would I need to get started?

Any help gratefully received
Tim

Hello all

Does anyone know where I can get lapping film in Spain? And what it's called in Spanish?

I'm trying to avoid buying it on Amazon because it's only available on Amazon.com, not .es, and shipping costs up the price quite a bit. The other option is Ebay but are they reliable?

Ah, and what grades would I need to get started?

Any help gratefully received
Tim
Just don't get the paper or those with adhesive backing.

Hi guys and a special hello to my friend Twelvefret! I finally finished my first honing ever! I honed my very firsr straight, which is my Dovo Special and my second straight, the Dovo Best Quality. I did use the lapping films and the polished marble gave me a good setup. I only needed to use the 1 and .3 micron films to get a nice edge. I shaved with the Dovo Special, today, and after 1 pass it was good for a DFS+. I could have ended with the second pass without doing touchups and it would be a great shave. Decided to do the third as a half pass and got an awesome shave. I was able to do the fool's pass w/o a problem. The blade was sliding on my skin cutting a 40 hr stubble like it was nothing. Needless to say, I was shocked and pleased at the result that I got right from the start. Now, I think the reason why I got a good result was the razor was originally honed by Lynn Abrams, noted honemeister. My next shave will be witg my Best Quality and hopefully, I will get a similar honing result. Twelvefret, although I haven't been on this forum, I will always appreciate your encouragement at the beginning of my journey that started last November. Just to let you know, I have 86 straight razor shaves and 85 shavette shaves, sio I have been enjoying open blade shaving. Take care my friend!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi guys and a special hello to my friend Twelvefret! I finally finished my first honing ever! I honed my very firsr straight, which is my Dovo Special and my second straight, the Dovo Best Quality. I did use the lapping films and the polished marble gave me a good setup. I only needed to use the 1 and .3 micron films to get a nice edge. I shaved with the Dovo Special, today, and after 1 pass it was good for a DFS+. I could have ended with the second pass without doing touchups and it would be a great shave. Decided to do the third as a half pass and got an awesome shave. I was able to do the fool's pass w/o a problem. The blade was sliding on my skin cutting a 40 hr stubble like it was nothing. Needless to say, I was shocked and pleased at the result that I got right from the start. Now, I think the reason why I got a good result was the razor was originally honed by Lynn Abrams, noted honemeister. My next shave will be witg my Best Quality and hopefully, I will get a similar honing result. Twelvefret, although I haven't been on this forum, I will always appreciate your encouragement at the beginning of my journey that started last November. Just to let you know, I have 86 straight razor shaves and 85 shavette shaves, sio I have been enjoying open blade shaving. Take care my friend!

Very cool!

Well, you've made my day.:a50: The films do provide even the novice, which I consider myself, to be a proficient honer and able to gain a good to great shave. :a4:

Something to consider, that I've recently started doing again, is to get a piece of balsa and 200k grit diamond paste to use post .03 film. :clap:

Well, you've made my day.:a50: The films do provide even the novice, which I consider myself, to be a proficient honer and able to gain a good to great shave. :a4:

Something to consider, that I've recently started doing again, is to get a piece of balsa and 200k grit diamond paste to use post .03 film. :clap:
Thanks, I will consider it, Twelvefret. Just to let you know, I have 10 straight razors in my den. The 2 Dovo's, 2 Ralph Aust's 6/8 Spanish pt, I 5/8 Böker, 1 7/8 (NOS) Friodur square pt, 1 15/16 Wostenholm (vintage) near wedge square pt, 1 5/8 Wostenholm(vintage) sq pt, 1 7/8 Herder and Sons ( vintage Ace of Spades) sq point, and 1 W F Engel (vintage) 5/8 sq point. Anyway, as you can see, I have been busy with this hobby. How is your journey coming along, Twelvefret?

Thank you! I can't believe that I got a good result for the very first time!
I did the same.
Thanks, I will consider it, Twelvefret. Just to let you know, I have 10 straight razors in my den. The 2 Dovo's, 2 Ralph Aust's 6/8 Spanish pt, I 5/8 Böker, 1 7/8 (NOS) Friodur square pt, 1 15/16 Wostenholm (vintage) near wedge square pt, 1 5/8 Wostenholm(vintage) sq pt, 1 7/8 Herder and Sons ( vintage Ace of Spades) sq point, and 1 W F Engel (vintage) 5/8 sq point. Anyway, as you can see, I have been busy with this hobby. How is your journey coming along, Twelvefret?

Thank you for asking and that's quite an outstanding collection, sir!!

I've just come off trying to shave off either a Coticule or Thuringian followed by linen and horse stropping on my entire collection. These edges just didn't work efficiently for my beard type. So, I could shave off these grits, but they required more cleanup and detail areas than I prefer which in turn causes unnecessary redness.

So, I took my Thuringian edges to .5 and then .3 mu film followed by 100 laps on 200 grit diamond paste on balsa on most of my collection and found, that just for me, the edges are such that I now am getting a very nice and effective result especially on my most dense and coarse facial areas without more than a third pass clean up.

Just a side note, I am trying palm stropping between passes just to clean up the edge.

I did the same.

Thank you for asking and that's quite an outstanding collection, sir!!

I've just come off trying to shave off either a Coticule or Thuringian followed by linen and horse stropping on my entire collection. These edges just didn't work efficiently for my beard type. So, I could shave off these grits, but they required more cleanup and detail areas than I prefer which in turn causes unnecessary redness.

So, I took my Thuringian edges to .5 and then .3 mu film followed by 100 laps on 200 grit diamond paste on balsa on most of my collection and found, that just for me, the edges are such that I now am getting a very nice and effective result especially on my most dense and coarse facial areas without more than a third pass clean up.

Just a side note, I am trying palm stropping between passes just to clean up the edge.
I remembered how excited you were when you bought the Thuri. It seems like we are both doing nicely. However, I was a little behind you in experience then, just like now! Lol! And yes, I am proud of my collection. I really don't have to add anything, because it is varied. However, there would only be 3 razors that I would like to own and then I would be done. They are a vintage Fili, a Thiers-Issard and one custom straight razor. I can dream! Take care, my friend! I will drop in once every so often. I am
I hope many new SR users see this post.
I agree. However, I believe the diligent new SR shaver will get the information and decide what's best for them whether they get it in this forum or somewhere else. The straight razor community is small and strongly connected that access to knowledgeable info is easily attainable.

I remembered how excited you were when you bought the Thuri. It seems like we are both doing nicely. However, I was a little behind you in experience then, just like now! Lol! And yes, I am proud of my collection. I really don't have to add anything, because it is varied. However, there would only be 3 razors that I would like to own and then I would be done. They are a vintage Fili, a Thiers-Issard and one custom straight razor. I can dream! Take care, my friend! I will drop in once every so often. I am

I agree. However, I believe the diligent new SR shaver will get the information and decide what's best for them whether they get it in this forum or somewhere else. The straight razor community is small and strongly connected that access to knowledgeable info is easily attainable.

Last time I did a full bevel to shave progression I used the Coticule and Thuringian as middle components. This resulted in excellent shaves.

I got some lapping film in a PIF a while ago, 4/8/16/30 equivalent grits. I use them on top of a lapped 8x3" hone, but any flat surface will do.
They may not offer the sexy smooth feel of a big dollar hone, but man they are effective, and the edges off the "30k" film is not that unlike a $350 Shapton 30k edge. Yes really. I have the Shapton 30k.

Quite impressed.

Best "bang for buck" honing solution for sure.

Can you post a photo of the lapping film please? I’m Portuguese and I’m finding troubled to understand what’s a lapping film. I mean I do know to translate but do not mach with my knowledge. I know Sand paper though but maybe it’s not same. Thank you

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Top Bottom