What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ive been searching online for 3M 1micron lapping film without the PSA backing...can't find it.
The only non PSA film Ive seen is at Thorlabs....but you have to buy 10 sheets...if you cut them into 3 inch strips
you get 30 strips, and if you use each strip for approx 20 honing sessions, that is 600 honings.

I doubt I need that much since I am planning to use the Balsa Method as prescribed by Slash McCoy.

Since I won't be using lapping film all that often and certainly not anything other than 1micron,
Im now wondering if I should just get the 3M one with PSA backing and stick it to an acrylic block
with rubber feet.

The PSA backed 3M film has odd dimensions .... 8.5in X 11in. Would it be ok to just cut a 4" X 11"
strip to hone the razor on? That will give me 2 strips per sheet. Any other considerations that might
affect honing...I have a 7/8 Koraat blade with a slight smile on it so will need to use bow shaped strokes.

8-1/2" x 11" is the standard size.

In that metric business it works out to 216mm, approximately. Cut it in thirds longways and you get three 72mm wide strips. Fits on your 3" wide acrylic block with about 1/8" to spare on the width and 1" on the length so that works out well.

I got my last order of film from nanolaptech.com. I don't remember if they will sell a single sheet or not. ThorLabs sells 9" x 13" sheets. Good product, pleasure to do business with them. And they send you free lab snacks. LOL. But yeah I think they do a 10 sheet minimum which will be a lifetime supply if you stick with just one or two razors.

I would most definitely prefer the plain back film. The sheet itself is made to very precise specs. The backing paper is sort of a wild card. PSA has been used. Then again, a brick has been used, too.

Rubber feet? Why? You will be holding it in hand, not resting on a bench. The more you try to "control" the razor against an unmoving, unyielding surface, the more errors you will make and the more significant they will be. On the bench is used successfully by some experienced honers. It is not the best way to learn, though.

It is not tricky to cut film. Maybe intimidating, if you only have one sheet and need to get it right the first time, I guess. And PSA would be slightly harder to cut than plain back but not an impossible operation at all. A box cutter type utility knife works fine. Measure and mark it in thirds along top and bottom. Use a straightedge or a high quality ruler lined up with the marks as a cutting fence. Press down firmly so the straightedge cannot shift around. Put a fresh blade in your box cutter and lay the side of the blade point against the edge of the straightedge, and cut, as if you were drawing a straight line with a pencil. Practice on a sheet of paper first. That's how I do it. I have a proper paper cutter but I have been too lazy to unbox it. I use a utility knife and an aluminum yardstick. Likewise I have a proper straightedge, but the yardstick is convenient and microprecision is not needed.

One third of the 8-1/2" sheet width is sort of an odd number. 2.8333" repeating. If you try to cut 2-7/8" you get two pieces and then one piece left over at 2-3/4" which is still okay. Up the precision to 1/32 and you get a little closer... 2-27/32" wide for the first two pieces and 2-13/16" for the third one. Close enough for anybody's work except the most anal. This doesn't really matter. But okay go with 1/128" precision and you get two pieces 2-107/128" and one piece only a paltry 2-53/64". If you go metric you get a close approximation at 72mm per piece. But metric is for people who can't do math. You don't drink a meter of ale. You don't stand on your own two 30.48cm's or go out and mow your meter. You drink a yard of ale (or a pint if you are driving home), stand on your own two feet, and mow your yard. Horses race by furlongs. Press your thumb against something and mark it off in thumb widths. Those are inches. How about that? Stretch out your arms to the side holding a rope and you have measured one fathom or six feet. Feet and inches are the natural order of things. But I digress. If it is any easier for you, you can measure 72mm wide and just don't tell anyone. We both know you are actually measuring 2.8333333333333333333333 inches.

Are you in the UK? Maybe you could post on BST with a WTB (Wanted To Buy) post for a single sheet or a cut piece of film, just to try it. I definitely feel your pain at facing the purchase of 10 sheets when you have not even tried it yet. Or maybe you could set up a group buy with members in your country. It might be beneficial if you put your country of residence in your profile. If a member is of a mind to PIF you something, often they will click your profile to see if you are in country or not.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Another thing with the PSA, now that I think of it. You are only going to be using one grit. So multiple film changes not needed. You could dedicate one acrylic block to the film and just leave it on there. You do have to be extremely careful applying it though, so as not to get any lint, dust, or bubbles trapped underneath the film. I may try that some day just to compare results.

One third of the 8-1/2" sheet width is sort of an odd number. 2.8333" repeating. If you try to cut 2-7/8" you get two pieces and then one piece left over at 2-3/4" which is still okay. Up the precision to 1/32 and you get a little closer... 2-27/32" wide for the first two pieces and 2-13/16" for the third one. Close enough for anybody's work except the most anal. This doesn't really matter. But okay go with 1/128" precision and you get two pieces 2-107/128" and one piece only a paltry 2-53/64". If you go metric you get a close approximation at 72mm per piece. But metric is for people who can't do math. You don't drink a meter of ale. You don't stand on your own two 30.48cm's or go out and mow your meter. You drink a yard of ale (or a pint if you are driving home), stand on your own two feet, and mow your yard. Horses race by furlongs. Press your thumb against something and mark it off in thumb widths. Those are inches. How about that? Stretch out your arms to the side holding a rope and you have measured one fathom or six feet. Feet and inches are the natural order of things. But I digress. If it is any easier for you, you can measure 72mm wide and just don't tell anyone. We both know you are actually measuring 2.8333333333333333333333 inches.

This is precisely why I'm thinking of cutting two 4" wide strips and discarding the other 1/2 inch of
film. I'll hone by holding the block in my hand for the most part, although the feet will be nice in case
I decide to set them down. I've sent nanolaptech an email....do they have a minimum quantity...their
website seems extremely rudimentary....if all else fails there's a seller who has PSA backed film at about
$9 for 2 sheets...that's 4 strips.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This is precisely why I'm thinking of cutting two 4" wide strips and discarding the other 1/2 inch of
film. I'll hone by holding the block in my hand for the most part, although the feet will be nice in case
I decide to set them down. I've sent nanolaptech an email....do they have a minimum quantity...their
website seems extremely rudimentary....if all else fails there's a seller who has PSA backed film at about
$9 for 2 sheets...that's 4 strips.

Isn't your block 3" wide?

The adhesive from PSA will be gone after first use. It’s as strong as a post-it.

I cut it with a kitchen scissor. Yes, it’s irregular. Yes, it’s not pretty. No, it doesn’t affect the honing, as I still have more real estate than I need. Don’t overthink it

I purchased mine from specialized products. They sell in bulk only, though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The acrylic blocks can be customised by the people I deal with.

Finally managed to get 3M non-PSA backed 1micron film.

That's good news. You should share the source. I am sure there are others who would benefit.

Is there some reason why you prefer a 4" wide plate? Everybody uses 3".

That's good news. You should share the source. I am sure there are others who would benefit.

Is there some reason why you prefer a 4" wide plate? Everybody uses 3".

4" strips make the most use of a 8.5" wide film....if I go 3" I'd have to discard 2.5"

The place to check out for non PSA 3M film is Taylor Tools...their site is taytools.com
Non-PSA isn't listed as an option but they will switch it out for you if you
message them in a timely fashion. There's a very helpful lady there called Rachel.
Call and talk to her first.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
4" strips make the most use of a 8.5" wide film....if I go 3" I'd have to discard 2.5"

The place to check out for non PSA 3M film is Taylor Tools...their site is taytools.com
Non-PSA isn't listed as an option but they will switch it out for you if you
message them in a timely fashion. There's a very helpful lady there called Rachel.
Call and talk to her first.

Nah. Just do like everybody else does, and cut the 8-1/2" wide sheet in thirds (2.833" or about 72mm) and use on a 3" wide plate. Works just fine. See, the average razor is about 2-3/4" along the edge. It is nice to have a honing surface wide enough to take the entire blade, though not absolutely necessary. Extra width is kinda just wasted. 3" works out nicely because balsa is readily available in 3" width. The film cut into thirds is a bit more than 1/8" narrower than the 3" plate, no big deal there. It just works very conveniently and efficiently. It is going to be easier to hold in hand than your 4" plate, too. The good news for you is the 4" width won't really hurt your results.

Good going on the source. It can be hard to find the right stuff in single sheet quantities.

Nah. Just do like everybody else does, and cut the 8-1/2" wide sheet in thirds (2.833" or about 72mm) and use on a 3" wide plate. Works just fine. See, the average razor is about 2-3/4" along the edge. It is nice to have a honing surface wide enough to take the entire blade, though not absolutely necessary. Extra width is kinda just wasted. 3" works out nicely because balsa is readily available in 3" width. The film cut into thirds is a bit more than 1/8" narrower than the 3" plate, no big deal there. It just works very conveniently and efficiently. It is going to be easier to hold in hand than your 4" plate, too. The good news for you is the 4" width won't really hurt your results.

Good going on the source. It can be hard to find the right stuff in single sheet quantities.

Since Ive ordered the non PSA film, I will just lay it on some wet float glass, acrylic slab or a flat marble tile. I'll wait till it arrives before deciding the width....as long as it accommodates X strokes with the razor without issue, I don't really care. I'm wondering if the sides of the film should be flush to the edges of the substrate...so I dont accidentally
scrape the edge on some tile or glass.

I have found a source in my neighbourhood and need to know what sort of tile
to get. I'll be using it for lapping film...as well as sticking wet sandpaper on it to do some stone flattening
from time to time.

What material would be best...they offer marble, granite, slate, ceramic.....I was thinking of getting
12" by 12" as it would work for sandpaper which is 9"X11" as well as film....does that sound ok?

Sent Nanolaptech an e-mail about ordering some sheets. Looking forward to getting these acrylic blocks into service.

Just got an order in from nano lap.
Nano lap takes a long time to get back to you.
When I finally spoke with someone , George, they said it takes up to 5 days just to invoice order.
It’s old school once you get invoice you have to call in payment info.
If you don’t hear back via email in a timely manner, I suggest to call.
shipping was via fed ex ground, is pricey at $12 and change, and took 6 working days to arrive. I suspect shipping will be less if sent to business address vs home. with a 50 sheet order it breaks down to about 25 cents per sheet for shipping. Nanolap, (unless my google-fu is off) is still the least expensive option.

As others have suggested make a big enough order to offset shipping. Or go In on a larger order with friends.

Just got an order in from nano lap.
Nano lap takes a long time to get back to you.
When I finally spoke with someone , George, they said it takes up to 5 days just to invoice order.
It’s old school once you get invoice you have to call in payment info.
If you don’t hear back via email in a timely manner, I suggest to call.
shipping was via fed ex ground, is pricey at $12 and change, and took 6 working days to arrive. I suspect shipping will be less if sent to business address vs home. with a 50 sheet order it breaks down to about 25 cents per sheet for shipping. Nanolap, (unless my google-fu is off) is still the least expensive option.

As others have suggested make a big enough order to offset shipping. Or go In on a larger order with friends.
What do they charge per sheet?

Specialized products landed yesterday.

First mistake - tried tacking down film like balsa, yeah that wasn't smooth at all. Acetone fixed that.

Float it w/ water on the acrylic just like my old slab of granite w/ W/D sandpaper. Works great.

Wow... not sure if it was my stones, or what, but this edge coupled with the pasted balsa strop progression is amazing. Likely looking to sell the hones I've got, and just stick with this. Quick, simple, and shaved the front of my head w/o lather it cut so clean.

Top Bottom