What's new

Lambda Athena

I already feel a bit guilty, I use the Athena with a different handle. I couldn't bring myself to spend a ton on a different metal when I am just using the head. I am wondering if Theo would sell me just a head, since I bought both an Athena and an Ares. :)
No guilt at all, for using a handle that works for me. I fail to see the problem with making an ergonomic change that improves my technique
:c2:

We all know that if he sold head assemblies without handles, he'd have to develop a separate box, along with it's own "up" charge.

How could he sell separate heads after all, while subjecting them to the indignity of both a non-Athena handle while likely being stored on a razor stand of all things instead of a dedicated coffin [/sarcasm]

I have no guilt about storing my Athena handle in its box, while currently using either my shortened RR Ti Halo or $20 Maggards MR5 handle. Yes ... a Timeless Ti Crown is no doubt in my future, but these two handles have served me well to this point, so there's no rush.

So, do I like the Athena? Absolutely.

It may be the slightest bit "much" in the efficiency department for me (still to be determined), but this in no way diminishes my respect for the design. I can do without all of the "fluffery" however. It's just a tool (and a good one at that).

... Thom

I'm still trying to figure out how to have a razor stand made that will be close to the Athena's finish. I don't care for the look of that particular titanium finish, but perhaps the photos don't do it justice.
Indeed, a noble pursuit!
Is it appropriate on this forum to ramp up a design exercise to fabricate one?

With the irregular shape of the butt end of the handle, my thoughts are that the polishing might get marred if there was metal to metal contact. The handle shape would wobble slightly.

Three solutions come to mind (I like #3):
  1. A nice, hardwood block
  2. Polished stainless with a Delrin sleeve inserted into it
  3. A @Rudy Vey design.
Aren't you (Rudy) getting an Athena shortly?

If turning a base out of handle material isn't stable enough, a stainless base plate could be fabricated.

... Thom

Being a titanium guy I'd have to agree with you on this one but I still just can't get with that handle!! It is very high on the chart of hideous to me, but what do I know? As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but if it had a different handle and I wasn't forced to buy the box with the razor I would probably have bought one by now!!
If it is any (enabling) suggestion - the box and the handle can be stored away of course :). I had mine out for a while and then received an adjustable razor stand. The box is now in my drawer again. I personally like the handle, but I totally get where you are coming from. Using one of my favourite @lasta handles the razor looks just as beautiful.

Is it appropriate on this forum to ramp up a design exercise to fabricate one?

With the irregular shape of the butt end of the handle, my thoughts are that the polishing might get marred if there was metal to metal contact. The handle shape would wobble slightly.

Three solutions come to mind (I like #3):
  1. A nice, hardwood block
  2. Polished stainless with a Delrin sleeve inserted into it
  3. A @Rudy Vey design.
Aren't you (Rudy) getting an Athena shortly?

If turning a base out of handle material isn't stable enough, a stainless base plate could be fabricated.

... Thom
My son made me a cork stand for my Christopher Bradley. He is working on a flat version for my Blackland ERA. Other than Tatara I've not seen cork stands. Surprised. I'd rather have cork around water than wood (maybe teak), softer than metal (look and handle finish risk) and more esthetically pleasing than plastic.

He is working on an idea for just a single razor too.

Attachments

• 20240205_102056.jpg
    20240205_102056.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20240205_103258.jpg
    20240205_103258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It arrived!! Got home from the doctor today and the mail man had dropped the box from Greece off. Very fast shipping from Europe to here. Wow, it is very nicely made. Love the box and my wife was also impressed by the razor and the beautiful box. But, I have to come up with a stand for it. First shave tomorrow!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It arrived!! Got home from the doctor today and the mail man had dropped the box from Greece off. Very fast shipping from Europe to here. Wow, it is very nicely made. Love the box and my wife was also impressed by the razor and the beautiful box. But, I have to come up with a stand for it. First shave tomorrow!
Rudy, When you come up with the perfect razor stand, it’s very likely you’ll sell quite a few. I’m still hoping for a clear, poured resin or something like that. But I’m open to other alternatives, too.

I have 2 questions pls on Athena :

1. Does the razor covers the blade tabs?

2. How do you compare Athena vs Karve Overlander on effectiveness going ATG?

Thanks

I believe the overhang was stated earlier in this thread as .5mm. That feels right to me.

The number seems carefully chosen - to be minimal enough to prevent accidental cuts, yet enough to allow ease of blade removal.

As much as I like the tab to be fully covered, I don't find those to be an issue.

This may change as my technique evolves, but the Overlander is slightly better against the grain. The Athena is very good, but it doesn't defeat the ATG champ.

... Thom

Top Bottom