What's new

Lambda Athena

I have the Blackbird Ti and the Athena. To me, there is no comparison. The BB Ti is unique in design and architecture but it shaves harshly for me. The blade exposure is a bit aggressive, not overly so, but just enough to be an issue for me. I have found that the BB Ti is blade dependent.
As for the Athena, it too is unique in design and architecture. The amazing thing with the Athena is that it is blade neutral and yet is every bit as efficient as the BB Ti without the aggression and discomfort. I have found that the Athena is only blade dependent if you do not use a sharp blade. For me, it has been splendid with any sharp quality blade.
Unlike the BB Ti, the Athena is an autopilot razor.
Finally, the cost of the Athena compared to the BB Ti makes owning the Athena a no brainer. You just have to wait for it.
The BB Ti is a very good razor. The Athena is a GREAT RAZOR.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have the Blackbird Ti and the Athena. To me, there is no comparison. The BB Ti is unique in design and architecture but it shaves harshly for me. The blade exposure is a bit aggressive, not overly so, but just enough to be an issue for me. I have found that the BB Ti is blade dependent.
As for the Athena, it too is unique in design and architecture. The amazing thing with the Athena is that it is blade neutral and yet is every bit as efficient as the BB Ti without the aggression and discomfort. I have found that the Athena is only blade dependent if you do not use a sharp blade. For me, it has been splendid with any sharp quality blade.
Unlike the BB Ti, the Athena is an autopilot razor.
Finally, the cost of the Athena compared to the BB Ti makes owning the Athena a no brainer. You just have to wait for it.
The BB Ti is a very good razor. The Athena is a GREAT RAZOR.

I strongly encourage you to try the Lite baseplate on your SS Bird. If you’re in the return window, you can swap them out. If not, its still worth the investment. I would happily send you mine to try; it wont come back up in my rotation for 4 weeks, so you could use it for a couple of weeks. Let me know.

I strongly encourage you to try the Lite baseplate on your SS Bird. If you’re in the return window, you can swap them out. If not, its still worth the investment. I would happily send you mine to try; it wont come back up in my rotation for 4 weeks, so you could use it for a couple of weeks. Let me know.
WThomas0814, was this message meant for me? I don't have the SS Bird. I have the Ti version. I also have tried the Lite plate and it was ineffective for me. I do appreciate the offer, if this note was for me. Thanks.

Sorry, I misread I think.
I think you might have answered to my post in which I mentioned not having used the Lite plate. Not sure, but it does fit the conversation.

And while I very much appreciate an offer should there be one, I would be against it. I am in the EU and so the baseplate would have to travel significant distances :001_smile. It would be easier just to get one from Blackland!

Cheers,

Guido

And if it wasn’t me I will see myself out!

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I think you might have answered to my post in which I mentioned not having used the Lite plate. Not sure, but it does fit the conversation.

And while I very much appreciate an offer should there be one, I would be against it. I am in the EU and so the baseplate would have to travel significant distances :001_smile. It would be easier just to get one from Blackland!

Cheers,

Guido

And if it wasn’t me I will see myself out!
You are correct. I was trying to answer you. Sadly, EU would be problematic.

I also have the Blackbird, Rocca, Athena, and Ares. @Guido75 is fairly spot on with his assessment (nice comparison and chart). I do have a slight change as I don’t find the Bird rough. It might not be quite as smooth as the others, but it’s also the most blade forward which adds to the feel. All are lovely shavers and worthy of a spot in my den. I probably use my Rocca the least as doesn’t have the character of the other razors. I feel fortunate that I can use any of these for daily shaves without irritation.

I do have a slight change as I don’t find the Bird rough.
+1 - me neither. You just have to adjust to the blade feel, but as I also have both Greencult razors the Blackbird’s blade forwardness doesn’t put me off.
All are lovely shavers and worthy of a spot in my den.
+1 again and I couldn’t see myself parting with any of them. If held at gunpoint I would let go of the Blackbird because the other razors have more sentimental value. And in keeping with the OP and this thread the Athena is a keeper for sure.
I feel fortunate that I can use any of these for daily shaves without irritation.
+1 yet again, I am a daily shaver and use all of these on a daily basis. They are all amazing.

Cheers,

Guido

:laugh: You must have REALLY TOUGH SKIN, Guido. :wink2:
Apparently so - and more likely I am too OCD to skip a day of shaving :001_smile:

And yes, then again - I tend to just muddle through. Aftershave sting is part of the game and some redness I don't take for irritation, but more likely as "exfoliatingly close". It's the nicks and weepers that are really annoying at times (i.e. when I make mistakes).

Cheers,

Guido.

For those of you who didn't "get" my previous post (#2,014):
And just to complete the picture - I do not use these razors simultaneously on a daily basis! As much as I like shaving and as much as my skin can accommodate some beating - this would be too much even for me!

Cal was so gracious enough to spot that. Cal was being a detailed freakish friend to call me out :winkiss: - and only then did I get it!

Cheers,

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
And just to complete the picture - I do not use these razors simultaneously on a daily basis! As much as I like shaving and as much as my skin can accommodate some beating - this would be too much even for me!
Sometimes I really wonder that some might have come to this conclusion.
Godzilla Deal With It GIF

Top Bottom