What's new

Lambda Athena First Impression

Lambda Athena First Impressions: Mine arrived last night and had my first shave this morning. The Athena is an engineering marvel and beautiful work of art and exudes quality craftsmanship. In the hand, it feels solid, weighty, and balanced. The curvature of the head is smooth on the face and allows for easy access below the nostrils. The uniquely scalloped bar allows the lather channels to work superbly. The blade feel is modest, more than my 34C, but less than my GC 0.84 and nowhere near the Blackbird. Like the 34C, the Athena feels non-threatening and easy-to-use. Even ATG below the nose it didn’t require excessive attention and was fairly smooth sailing. That said, the Athena is not a one-pass razor. Instead, more like my 34C it required 3 full passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) with considerable touch ups. However, unlike the 34C the result was a true BBS shave, and without any of the irritation which can come from more aggressive razors with more blade feel. In my opinion, because it’s so forgiving it’s an excellent choice for a beginner who is still refining their skill. More importantly, it provides a beautiful, pleasant shaving experience, which although requiring a bit more work, delivers the goods, a BBS!

Attachments

• Lambda boxed.jpg
    Lambda boxed.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Lambda Athena.jpg
    Lambda Athena.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 44
Lambda Athena First Impressions: Mine arrived last night and had my first shave this morning. The Athena is an engineering marvel and beautiful work of art and exudes quality craftsmanship. In the hand, it feels solid, weighty, and balanced. The curvature of the head is smooth on the face and allows for easy access below the nostrils. The uniquely scalloped bar allows the lather channels to work superbly. The blade feel is modest, more than my 34C, but less than my GC 0.84 and nowhere near the Blackbird. Like the 34C, the Athena feels non-threatening and easy-to-use. Even ATG below the nose it didn’t require excessive attention and was fairly smooth sailing. That said, the Athena is not a one-pass razor. Instead, more like my 34C it required 3 full passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) with considerable touch ups. However, unlike the 34C the result was a true BBS shave, and without any of the irritation which can come from more aggressive razors with more blade feel. In my opinion, because it’s so forgiving it’s an excellent choice for a beginner who is still refining their skill. More importantly, it provides a beautiful, pleasant shaving experience, which although requiring a bit more work, delivers the goods, a BBS!
Does the bronze oxidizes or give a patina or does it stay polished?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have my Ares over a year or more by now, no issues. My comparable Timeless Bronze has a slightly black tooth and is a bit more reddish, but in general the marine grade bronze doesn't oxidize quickly if you wipe it dry after a shave.

If you want to be 100% sure. My Athena is 316L steel and I got that for this reason but in hindsight I would not hesitate to get the bronze Athena either and decide more with personal preference or money in mind. Even the weight is fairly equal, steel reportedly a tiny bit more weight compared to the bronze used by Lambda.

I'm sure it depends on humidity etc. where you store the razor, but it will slightly darken over time. I have had my Athena for almost 2 years now, and other than drying it after each shave, I have wiped it down with a polishing cloth only once thus far.

I have my Ares over a year or more by now, no issues. My comparable Timeless Bronze has a slightly black tooth and is a bit more reddish, but in general the marine grade bronze doesn't oxidize quickly if you wipe it dry after a shave.

If you want to be 100% sure. My Athena is 316L steel and I got that for this reason but in hindsight I would not hesitate to get the bronze Athena either and decide more with personal preference or money in mind. Even the weight is fairly equal, steel reportedly a tiny bit more weight compared to the bronze used by Lambda.
Wow. Thanks for the info on the 316L vs bronze!

I'm sure it depends on humidity etc. where you store the razor, but it will slightly darken over time. I have had my Athena for almost 2 years now, and other than drying it after each shave, I have wiped it down with a polishing cloth only once thus far.
Thanks! I haven't invest in a polishing cloth, is that a must?

Good to know they have SS version. Wasn’t aware about this.

No, not really. But they are not expensive. Razor Emporium sells a good one for $5.
I buy the micro fiber cloths at Harbor Frieight for a few bucks for 5. Every few shaves I run my toothbrush with a little toothpaste over mine and dry with microfiber. Your water will make a huge difference, but 6 months in mine still looks new.

Top Bottom