What's new

Lamb Chops for dinner

Weekends are my night to cook dinner. I decided I wanted a different way to cook my lamb besides grilling. I rubbed in lemon garlic salt and herbs. I dont know the name of the herb mix as I only bought it for the grinder it came in. This is lamb I raised and butcherd myself. (actual slicing of the meat provided by the meat processor)

The chops out of the wrapper;

The chops seasoned;

The chops frying in olive oil;

The finished product;

My dinner for tonight! No turkey leftovers here!

Enjoy!

Come on over BSA. The wife slept/read through dinner so I have 2 chops left over. If you dont get them they will be boiled down and added to the navy beans for dinner tomorrow.

i love lamb chops too. i have been to fogo de chao 2 days ago, their steaks are so so delicious. i ate 4 lamb ribs.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just found some lamb chops at Randall's...woohoo. Can't find them at my regular market HEB. So, soon I will be making them. Now I need a good traditional mint based sauce dressing.

Edit: Found this at HEB

$image.jpg
$IMG_0468.jpg

The prices are very high for lamb. I think I'll start a farm.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Holy smokes Doc, I'd starve if I had to pay that for my meat. I guess I didnt realize the money I have piled up in my freezer. Cooking lamb seems to be a lost art considering man has raised and eaten lamb for thousands of yrs, then a couple Euro travellers stop by America with a few head of cattle and we all forget about the yummy sheep.

I have posted this before, but here is a shot of some fresh lamb roasts.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Lamb can also handle big flavours. I cooked some Lamb shoulder chops with a Moroccan seasoning tonight.

Olschoolteel you can never post to many photos of that lamb. Perfection!

Aaron the price of your lamb is like it is here, too high.
I would leave the French Rack and take a few loin chops. The shanks would be nice braised served with some mash potatoes.

Lamb shoulder chops
$20141209_171913.jpg

Last edited:
I must have my information wrong. I thought Sheep were the #1 GDP of New Zealand and Australia. I thought lamb and mutton would be cheaper down there???

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The problem is its value on the export market. great for the farmer and meat processors but this effects the local market as the wholesale export price sets the wholesale local price.
The export market is effected by the exchange rate, the overseas market trends and also the seasons of the export markets. Then there is the farmer, the dollar moves and they want a slice of the cake so the processors have to pay more for the lamb.

Lamb use to be cheap here and was a large part of our diet but those days are sadly gone.
Mutton has lost its place on our shelf's. I think that is just a trend on taste. Modern day food snobs. Hogget is something you never see on the shelf, which is a real shame as it is a good grade. Still tender with a full flavour but not as strong as mutton.

Last edited:
Chris you need to find yourself a home kill butcher and purchase a whole lamb, should be about $150-$200 butchered and packaged. It works out at $6-$8 per Kg for all cuts of meat. The only problem is storing it all !!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron you wanted a mint sauce recipe. not sure if this is what you are looking for.
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/nanas-pantry/how-to-make-mint-sauce-and-mint-jelly/

Yep, that's it.

Back to the price of lamb. I was thinking the same thing and buy a few chops for each of us. They looked really fresh and high quality. I'm also seeing the good cuts of beef reaching all time highs...and I'm living in the middle of cattle country. As Chris said, it's the out side markets demand for lamb dictating the price. So it is with beef.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris you need to find yourself a home kill butcher and purchase a whole lamb, should be about $150-$200 butchered and packaged. It works out at $6-$8 per Kg for all cuts of meat. The only problem is storing it all !!
That is a good price but not many farms around me in the city. I get a lot of my meat by the carton a wholesale prices, having extra freezer space is a must. Mine is now full and I still have three Rib Eye Rolls aging in the fridge that I need to package and freeze. I will just have to eat my way out of this problem. :001_cool:

not wanting to derail the OP thread lets get back to the Lamb Chops.
Aaron if you buy some chops don't forget the photos

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron the price of your lamb is like it is here, too high.
I would leave the French Rack and take a few loin chops. The shanks would be nice braised served with some mash potatoes.

Now that I've had such a success braising short rib, I'm thinking about applying those same techniques to those shanks you see in the picture. Plus you had to bring it up didn't you?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Now that I've had such a success braising short rib, I'm thinking about applying those same techniques to those shanks you see in the picture. Plus you had to bring it up didn't you?
As you are in Winter braised lamb shanks are a great meal. Served with mashed potatoes and a gravy from the braising liquid, you can thank me later.

Top Bottom