What's new

How Long Does It Take to Fix Dinner?

It depends on what is being made and how organized I am. Like microwaving a couple hot dogs for 30 seconds, squirting some mustard and scooping some sour kraut on top. Last Friday I took a maybe 10 minutes prepping and dumping canned tomatoes and spices in a crockpot. Prep was fast but the chili cooked for 8 hours. Then we ate chili for 3 days. The next two days was fast just microwaving a bowl for 2 minutes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

order a pizza... 3 minutes
bake salmon... 20 minutes
sous vide steak... 3-4 hours
smoked ribs.... 6 hours
smoked brisket ... 12 hours
soo.. i guess it depends....

Dinner could be 6 -7 hour wait if you do some of the recipes from French Landry Cook book, I like easy, light grill, fut on Steak & Veggies in Foil. Quick and easy.

lasta

Blade Biter
Dinner could be 6 -7 hour wait if you do some of the recipes from French Landry Cook book, I like easy, light grill, fut on Steak & Veggies in Foil. Quick and easy.
That book was probably written when the majority of women stayed at home...to prepare dinner after lunch.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
About two minutes to mix fig jam and mustard, brush it on the pork tendrrloin, and pop it in the oven. Maybe five minutes to harvest and clean basil, make a chiffonade of it, slice the tomatoes, slice the mozzarella balls in an egg slicer, arrange the caprese salad on plates, and drizzle olive oil. Time during the roasting to enjoy a second martini. Oven time is golden.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Last night, 20 minutes. Cooked some frozen meatballs (20mins) then made hummus, tzatziki, garlic lemon oil, and prepped onion, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce for topping while the meatballs cooked. Piled into a flax whole-wheat wrap, dinner in 20…

I make a lot of pasta and the sauce can take a while to make, but most of the time isn’t actively doing much.

In that scenario a couple/few hours but actually doing stuff would be more like 30-50 mins.

Yeah it always takes longer than the prep t>me listed. I think most recipes don't really consider real prep time and mostly cook time. I think the prep time is always either a bad guess or deliberate falsification cause if they listed real time you would never make it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yeah it always takes longer than the prep t>me listed. I think most recipes don't really consider real prep time and mostly cook time. I think the prep time is always either a bad guess or deliberate falsification cause if they listed real time you would never make it.
This comment reminds me of a Jamie Oliver show where it was 30-minutes meals. Every show would start with Jamie saying: Oven is hot, veggies are chopped, water is boilling and everything else is on the countertop.

Cooking something isn't the longest usually (unless we are talking brisket), prep always take most of the time. If I would cook like that Jamie Oliver show, I would probably spend 60 minutes prepping everything. The assembly would then be fairly quick. If you can do time management where you do something else while the pasta is cooking and that piece of chicken is in the pan, that's where you save a lot of time.

Since I started some meal prepping on Sunday. It's faster during the week. I don't do much and I do the "buffet" meal prep where my stuff is prepared but not mixed. I cook more rice, as an example. We then eat some but I would use the left-over some a different dish when I just need to fold it in. Same goes for some veggies where I pre-clean and chop them.

I'm all right in the kitchen but I haven't been able to find a meal prepper book that make sense to me. Most of their meal show you time management but you end up cooking your proteins separate (heat oven at 400F, cook chicken for 20 minutes, lower to 350F, cook fish, pump it back up to 450F to grill the veggies). I mean, wouldn't it be easier to cook eveything at the same temperature? Anyways, I always double my recipes on the bbq now (brisket, pork shoulders, etc). It will take 12-16hrs for the brisket anywways, having 1 or 2...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The other night I made a very common dinner party menu for eight, chicken piccata, leek and mushroom risotto, and roasted asparagus. I needed to roast the asparagus rather than steaming because I needed to cook the mushrooms separately because two guests did not want them in their risotto, meaning all four burners were in use. Other than making the chicken stock, which takes about five hours, the fact that I had prepped in advance did not speed things up very much. It still took about twenty minutes because that is just how long it takes for the rice to absorb the broth. While all three dishes were cooking, I also made eight caprese salads, kept everyone's wine glasses topped up, and cleaned as I went. In essence, making dinner ought to be driven by the longest cook time of the things you are making, and ideally you ought to be able to multitask, including nursing a glass of wine, as you go. You need to know where all the ingredients and tools you will need are kept and have a plan that includes the order of making the dishes. In this case, chopping and sweating leeks and mushrooms with rice while the stock is heating, tossing the asparagus in oil, salt, and pepper and popping it in the oven, dredging and sautéing the chicken while ladling hot stock on the rice, and finishing up with vermouth and Parm in the risotto followed by vermouth, lemon, and capers on the chicken. As the risotto is getting very moist it can wait a tad more between ladles of stock, giving you time to make the salads. Of course you harvested the basil right before you began. This is a very forgiving meal, making it ideal for a party. Steak frites, on the other hand, is very unforgiving. If you stress over timing when cooking for guests, choose something cooked in advance and easily held, like boeuf Bourguignon or coq au vin with a simple tossed salad that needs only a last minute dressing. Bread, cheese, and wine are a cook's best friends when dinner is being made, even if it is dinner for two.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Recently I decided to work on my pierogi game. I can make pierogi, and even have a fancy-dancy Hunky Bill's Big Pierogi Maker that I can use. A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on CNN.com about National Pierogi Day in the U.S. (They sure got some entertaining holidays, don't they?). The writer happens to be the author of a pierogi cookbook. Y'see this comin', eh?

Anyhow, making pierogi from zero means prep-cooking parts of the filling, prepping parts of the filling, making the dough, then rolling, cutting, filling and sealing pierogi before boiling them and ultimately frying them. We cook the filling, we cook the pierogi, then we cook it again. Gotta make sure it's dead.

Took me all blippin' afternoon, used most of the tools and utensils in the kitchen at least once, but they were fairly good pierogi.

O.H.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
TinyTim:
How long it takes me to prep & cook really depends on the recipe.:idea:

chef-1-jpg.803329
"Every morning one must start from scratch, with nothing on the stoves. That is cuisine". Chef Fernand Point

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It is supposed to cool on Monday evening. This week it is warm but (hallelujah) rainy. My plan is to make the meal that takes FFE, cassoulet. I even have Tarbais beans. I hear that if you confit chicken legs in duck fat, they taste like duck. Worst case they taste like chicken legs, which I love. The challenge is finding a garlicky sausage. I always serve it with nothing but a baguette and a simple green salad. The only variable is dessert. I am thinking of an apple pie piled high with apples. The wine may be a Rhone, it may be a Barolo, or it may be a Zinfandel. I am leaning towards a Ridge Pagani Ranch Zin. Any other ideas? I figure it will take two days.

Top Bottom