What's new

La Toja?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning was my first shave with La Toja. Face lathered using a Chinese synthetic brush. Shaved with two of my Titan ACRO T.H.64 SR's.

IMG_20220428_083944.jpg

First impression was that it was a rather voluptuous lather. Too much so for a good SR shave. I am putting that down to applying to much soap to my face.

For slickness, I didn't notice that it was any better than my other stick shaving soaps. Maybe the lather needed more water and I was not prepared to add more as I already had too much lather.

I will be shaving with LaToja again tomorrow, also with the same two blades. Then I will apply a lot less soap and more water.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning's shave with a La Toja stick face lathered was much better. I applied about half of what I applied yesterday and about half of what I apply when using Palmolive, tallow Tabac or ARKO sticks.

I made the La Toja lather about as wet as I do with my other shaving soap sticks. I found little difference in slickness when compared to my other soap sticks. Tomorrow I will try La Toja with more water.

Even if La Toja's lather is about the same slickness as ARKO, I will be happy with it. I just wish La Toja had a scent as appealing as ARKO's citrus with floral undertones.

Even if La Toja's lather is about the same slickness as ARKO, I will be happy with it. I just wish La Toja had a scent as appealing as ARKO's citrus with floral undertones.
Oh my. Love it. I mean, I prefer La Toja, but Arko! is fabulous and I love the chum for the Arko!-nots.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I SR shaved with La Toja again this morning. Super wet and thin lather. Oh, what a feeling!

I had one of my most enjoyable shaves in a long time. Don't know if it was the lather, the razor (a Revisor 6-0035 off diamond pasted balsa) or my technique. All I can say is that La Toja now works beautifully for me.

Over the next few days, I will compare La Toja against some of my other stick soaps.

Reactions: d_e
No one ever seems to complain, "Otherwise good but it left my face feeling dry."

(Now that I've expressed that, I expect someone to prove me wrong.)

Anyway. I like it.
I tried a small sample of La Toja and felt a bit of dryness, or saltyness, or something. I'm used to arko so I was surprised to feel this.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well, I have come to the conclusion that La Toja stick is no better than ARKO stick in shave quality. ARKO may be just a little better but not by much. I have shaved with both ARKO and La Toja using different SR's for the last seven days. Traditional SR shaving, applying stick to face and face lathering.

I am ignoring the scent profile (I like both except I find La Toja not as pronounced). Both soaps require a good wet lather. La Toja more so. I need to apply less La Toja soap to my face than ARKO for similar result. La Toja (from Spain) cost me almost three times as much as ARKO (from Turkey) but they are both economical. La Toja is better package than ARKO but the packaging size does not reduce with use.

La Toja will stay in my shaving soap routine and will be used when the mood takes me. I doubt that it will become one of my most favoured soaps.

...La Toja (from Spain) cost me almost three times as much as ARKO (from Turkey) but they are both economical. La Toja is better package than ARKO but the packaging size does not reduce with use...
In Spain, La Toja sticks are less than 2 euros at the market. I think it takes less soap per shave than Arko. Cost seems very reasonable overall. Of course, La Toja does not have the fine bouquet of Arko.
🤣

When I bought La toja for the first time a few years ago, I threw it away after a few shaves. I didn't like the scent and the shave was ok but nothing more.

After years of addiction to soap brands, I wanted to give La Toja a second chance. And this is very strange. Suddenly I love the scent and I guess someone will arrest me now, but I think the quality is in the same tier as Saponificio Varesino. The slickness, wow!

I'm trying to figure out why I've completely turned around, and I think there could be several reasons. The reason for not liking the scent may be that I expected a completely different fragrance, and that I did not want to waste my time on scent that did not live up to my expectations. Today, I find it more exciting to learn to like something new

Why I feel a completely different slickness today may be changes with ingredients, but I notice that this soap is thirsty and the main reason may be that I underestimated the amount of water, combined with a technique that was poor

Last edited:
I am thinking about purchasing some La Toja shave stick, like a pack of 3.
What’s it like? Is it a good product?
All responses much appreciated!!
I use it as my travel soap. For that purpose it is ideal. I spread it on my face straight and then brush my face directly. I found it to work very well. I like arko and derby (my derby comes in Giant tubs, but you can get the sticks on eBay)better for a daily soap, but as a travel soap it can’t be beat.

When I bought La toja for the first time a few years ago, I threw it away after a few shaves.

I'm trying to figure out why I've completely turned around, and I think there could be several reasons.

I understand there has been another recent reformulation. The old tallow La Toja from more than a decade ago was great, but the immediate veggie reformulation left me cold and I don't think I actually finished off the stick as a shave soap. From what people are saying about the current one one, it sounds like it might be much better. I would try it but nobody ever seems to have stock!

Top Bottom