What's new

La Toja?

Hi, guys! could you please help me choose between La Toja Classic and La Toja Sensitive Creams? Which scent is stronger/brighter/gentler? Which one should I try first?

I'm quite new to wetshaving, my favorite cream is The Bluebeards Revenge so far, and Proraso Red didn't impress me on the other hand.
The La Toja soap stick is even better than the creams. For the creams, most people prefer the Classic over the Sensitive one.

Classic Cream vs stick? The STICK fer sure! Don't have the Sensitive Cream so no comment.

Warmed the stick up in my hands for a while so it could be smooshed in an empty tub specifically to be able to load the brush instead of my face. If you don't have an empty tub any container from the dollar store you like will work. The stick gives mucho mas protection than the Classic Cream.

I actually prefer the Sensitive cream to the Classic, but either provides a slick, protective lather. Pretty good synopsis here:

In Galicia - the place (Isla de la Toja), BTW:

proxy.php

Last edited:
I used La Toja from the stick again today. Good lather and slickness; the scent is not noticeable unless you stick your proboscis right on top of the stick; and in any case it smells a lot like . . . soap! Sort of mineral-like and saltish, but then that's exactly what is in it.

I have the stick and the classic cream.

The stick is better but the cream provides excellent slickness and lather.

When and if I finish up my other soaps, I think I'm going to settle into a core supply: a stick of Tabac, Palmolive cream (or a stick), and Proraso cream. And La Toja stick or cream, of course.
+1

Excellent, proven, timeless, classic, perfect. If I may suggest trying a stick of Speick if nothing else to just complicate matters if you haven't already. :001_smile

I am a bowl latherer or rather a scuttle latherer but I enjoy using La Toja so much I have it in my rotation at least once a week. Premium lather at a dirt cheap price.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the smell of La Toja stick? The performance is great, but Palmolive and even Arko beat it in scent.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the smell of La Toja stick? The performance is great, but Palmolive and even Arko beat it in scent.
Nope, not everyone likes it.

I get the "fresh laundry hanging on the line to dry by the seaside" vibe. Others get something like "bowling alley ashtray" or "dirty leather jacket".
:laugh:

1613513944829.png
1613514270866.png
1613514427558.png

It's not my favorite scent, and for that reason it will never be my primary soap. But I'm okay using it once every week or two, since I don't find it objectionable, and it's certainly different than any other scent I've got. And because the performance of both the stick and the cream is so fantastic. I keep going back and forth on ordering the sensitive version, wondering how its scent compares.

Nope, not everyone likes it.

I get the "fresh laundry hanging on the line to dry by the seaside" vibe. Others get something like "bowling alley ashtray" or "dirty leather jacket".

My first impression was stale cigarette ashes. I wore leather jackets for many years, so I probably wouldn't notice that.

La Toja stick It's excellent stuff, easy to lather, descent slickness and a lovely soapy, fresh and powdery scent. I will call it old fashioned. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love La Toja, but not for its scent. It doesn't bother me, but I would never choose it based on that. Doesn't smell anything like fresh laundry or the ocean to me. But the scent is mild and to me it is not objectionable, unlike Arko which I couldn't stand regardless of performance.

Was going to say! Was reading that Spanish blog thread above, forgot I have never tried the La Toja aftershaves. Could be time!

AA

The aftershave is very good.....one of my favs at the moment. It does not smell like the shave stick or cream. Performance and face feel is superb.

Finally, I got a La Toja stick, and unfortunately after two shaves I couldn't find anything exceptional. Just another shaving cream, not mine.

Top Bottom