What's new

Kohler vs. Generac

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Anyone have experience with both? From what I'm reading, it seems like Kohler may be longer lasting and quieter, but fewer power level options and more expensive. Reading some reviews, while over all positive, it seems there have been QC issues with the newer batch of Generac whole house generators. Also, it sounds like Generac may be less responsive to customer support issues? Both brands are very popular regardless.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone have experience with both? From what I'm reading, it seems like Kohler may be longer lasting and quieter, but fewer power level options and more expensive. Reading some reviews, while over all positive, it seems there have been QC issues with the newer batch of Generac whole house generators. Also, it sounds like Generac may be less responsive to customer support issues? Both brands are very popular regardless.
I have a 22KW Generac installed in 2021. It's been flawless thus far.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not exactly a specific answer to you question, but I have a Kohler engine on my Gravely zero turn mower, and about a 7,000 some watt portable Generac generator that I hook up to the house during extended power outages.

Had them both for over 10-15 years (or more) and not a problem out of either of them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil
how much of your house do you have connected to the unit?
Everything.
There's a brief loss of power, 1 or 2 seconds, then everything is back up.
We can run 2 AC units (split system), Electric Stove, dishwasher, microwave oven, convenience appliances like coffee pot, toaster etc., fridge, washer, dryer, electric water heater (dual coil), lights, furnace and blower, well pump, TV's, computers, the works.
I have the TV's, computers, my NAS and my gateway router on a UPS, so the 1 or 2 second loss doesn't even affect watching a show or web surfing.
Aside from the noticeable, but not irritating hum of the generator, one might not even know there was a loss unless the stove/microwave clocks go flashy.
We have the generator on the far side of the house, so unless you are upstairs and right above it, it's very mild. It's a really good enclosure.
The back yard is a sloping grade into 3 acres of woods with a hill before the neighbors yard, so the neighbors aren't bothered.

Everything.
There's a brief loss of power, 1 or 2 seconds, then everything is back up.
We can run 2 AC units (split system), Electric Stove, dishwasher, microwave oven, convenience appliances like coffee pot, toaster etc., fridge, washer, dryer, electric water heater (dual coil), lights, furnace and blower, well pump, TV's, computers, the works.
I have the TV's, computers, my NAS and my gateway router on a UPS, so the 1 or 2 second loss doesn't even affect watching a show or web surfing.
Aside from the noticeable, but not irritating hum of the generator, one might not even know there was a loss unless the stove/microwave clocks go flashy.
We have the generator on the far side of the house, so unless you are upstairs and right above it, it's very mild. It's a really good enclosure.
The back yard is a sloping grade into 3 acres of woods with a hill before the neighbors yard, so the neighbors aren't bothered.
Thanks Phil. That is very helpful. I have been debating between the two.

Thanks Phil. That is very helpful. I have been debating between the two.

Here is what a friend of mine that has a Generac told me. It came down to the dealer and service in his area. He felt everything he looked at was similar with regard to quality and warranty. The dealer he chose was close to his home with a large supply of Generac inventory and repair parts.

Here is what a friend of mine that has a Generac told me. It came down to the dealer and service in his area. He felt everything he looked at was similar with regard to quality and warranty. The dealer he chose was close to his home with a large supply of Generac inventory and repair parts.
That is an excellent point and well taken.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If it is of any importance, Kohler started their generator business in 1920, and Generac in 1959.
We went with Generac because none of the shops close to me serviced Kohler.
Not that it matters really, as I have not had anyone come out to service the unit. Maintenance is pretty simple.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm getting an estimate in a few days from a company that sells and services both Kohler and Generac. That should be enlightening. Getting estimates from other service companies as well.

Just a thought. One of our clients sales and services generators. They push Cummings, but they many do much larger units where the loss of power can result in the loss of huge amounts of money or loss of life.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
FYI, Cummins Onan generators are made in China for Cummins. Cummins just does the power side.
Cummins does make Generators, but you have to check the line and whether they are built to specs, or just units that are bought off the shelf from China.

I’ve got a 20kw Kohler, whole house is on it and I’m all electric. Had it 2 years this coming Monday. I do the maintenance on it.
Lots of outages here in California, not because of storms but because they shut the power down when the wind blows.
I’ve got it out in a horse pasture about 80’ from the house behind some trees and bushes, and I think it is quite loud.
Transfer switch is fast.
Although it is capable of doing the whole house, in reality, only a small portion of the house would be on at any given time.
The unit was about $5k, the switch $1k, electrition $5k. I had to buy a propane tank $1,500, fittings, valves and connectors another $800. 200 gallons propane, $900. Another $800 tax.
So about $15k+ and I dug all the ditches and put the pad in.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This one’s a lot like the Lennox vs. Trane debate.

Between Kohler and Generac for a smaller genset, I’d pick a Kohler. Kohler makes a great small displacement engine. But they’re both good. Our B&S genset is a rebranded Generac, and it has given us zero problems in almost 20 years.

Just like with HVACs, the dealer, as the installer and later servicer, is the far more important factor here. Pick the most respected local dealer you can find, even if it costs a few more dollars up front. A bad genset install is a big expensive headache.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
FYI, Cummins Onan generators are made in China for Cummins. Cummins just does the power side.
Cummins does make Generators, but you have to check the line and whether they are built to specs, or just units that are bought off the shelf from China.

The older ones can be Ford Onan. Our one neighbor has one of those, with a Ford 4-cylinder NG engine on it. They can be a bit more maintenance, especially as you move into liquid cooled engines. But he gets a full service panel automatic switchover when it goes on. I’m a little envious, but refuse to spend over $20k for that much genset. We now only get a power interruption here maybe once every 18-24 months.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The older ones can be Ford Onan. Our one neighbor has one of those, with a Ford 4-cylinder NG engine on it. They can be a bit more maintenance, especially as you move into liquid cooled engines. But he gets a full service panel automatic switchover when it goes on. I’m a little envious, but refuse to spend over $20k for that much genset. We now only get a power interruption here maybe once every 18-24 months.
Yup. In any case, I was only referencing the generator side, not the drive unit side.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We got a Generac 18 kW last year, so far, so good. I had three companies come in and giving us a quote, none of them offered a Kohler unit. Guess in our area they all sell/install/service mainly Generac.

Top Bottom