What's new

Knowledge request on the EZ 9mm

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Has anyone here shot one of these? It's on the cover of the February 2020 American Rifleman magazine.

It may be the answer for my lovely bride.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
S + W M+P9 Shield EZ 9 mm 8 rd. 3.6 in. pistol with safety

Cost is $399.99 at Rural King

Call 1 844 754 8671 at any hour of the day. At any hour of the day.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Has anyone here shot one of these? It's on the cover of the February 2020 American Rifleman magazine.
It may be the answer for my lovely bride.
Haven’t shot one, & in fact was unaware they even existed before reading your post ... after watching the video below, I believe that it may also “be the (next) answer” for the spouse, who carries a 9mm M&P Shield 1.0. The EZ is a well-thought-out pistol that appears to live up to its Easy moniker. I especially like the grip safety & optional thumb safety.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Haven’t shot one, & in fact was unaware they even existed before reading your post ... after watching the video below, I believe that it may also “be the (next) answer” for the spouse, who carries a 9mm M&P Shield 1.0. The EZ is a well-thought-out pistol that appears to live up to its Easy moniker. I especially like the grip safety & optional thumb safety.

Thanks for reading about it! It just looks like a good way to get my wife to actually carry.

It would be nice to have an extra "good gal with a gun" in my presence if the need ever did arise.

She's an incredibly cool head in an emergent situation. There is a reason I call her the War Department, lol.

But her hands are becoming a bit more arthritic with each passing day, just like I suppose most of could claim.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
If it wasn't so ugly I'd really seriously consider adding that to the pile. What ever happened to the concept of rounding and melting surfaces? Get rid of the rail S&W, make it an option for them what might want it. And hire an Italian to do the visual design.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If it wasn't so ugly I'd really seriously consider adding that to the pile. What ever happened to the concept of rounding and melting surfaces? Get rid of the rail S&W, make it an option for them what might want it. And hire an Italian to do the visual design.

Glocks-smoooooth! :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Danger Ad Astra, danger!"

Verrrrry tempting......

Oh heck no. Don't need any more guns ... except maybe that new Python.

Or the 12-gauge BP pistol. Saw a good review.

Or a .300 BO pistol-AR. Like the new SA one ...

Yes, Dave - there is danger ... But not from a new poly Smith.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Then I suppose you're familiar with the Spanish Inquisition!
Quoted for truth!

But since my wife has psychic powers, few questions arise. She just knows!

I'll read that America Rifleman article this morning ... why another plastic Smith nine, eh.

AA

$2,000 for a Python...remake of the original (which was spendy even back then) vs. $500 for a ridiculously clean S&W Model 66....not a remake but a vintage (1976 stock).
In a perfect lottery winning world perhaps I would own both, but in reality methinks the S&W shall prove to be the better choice.

My wife has arthritis in her hands and I have some myself. There are two issues: racking the slide and recoil. Both can be hard on arthritic hands. I am starting to have difficulty racking a Springfield XDS 9mm and there is no way my wife can do it. The EZ version of the M&P Shield might be slightly easier to rack due to the slide design, but it is still 9mm, so the spring has to be tensioned to handle that round.

I would highly suggest getting revolver with an exposed hammer. The hammer can be easily cocked, even by arthritic hands. Then the trigger pressure is low enough to be fired by arthritic fingers. The concealed hammer revolvers have to be fired in double-action mode which requires more trigger pressure than she might be able to provide, if not now, then certainly as the grows older.

Also, unless she is planning to carry it in her purse, I suggest getting a full size revolver with no less than a 3" barrel. A snub nose revolver may have been great for Elliott Ness, but with added barrel length and added weight comes less recoil, less muzzle flash, and greater muzzle velocity.

I have a Ruger GP100 with 4 1/4" barrel. Due to the weight and balance of the revolver, recoil is manageable with .357 Magnum rounds and quite tame with .38 Special. The .38 special +P loads will have ballistics similar to 9mm. If you get a revolver chambered for .357 magnum, it can be used with either load. The 0.357 Magnum rounds have one of the best records for one-shot stops, but hopefully, you will never encounter a need for that.

I have a few friends who have gotten these for their wives. .. Although these are not for me and I will not be buying one for my wife, anytime we can get more people carrying and interested in protecting themselves, its a good thing.

Is it nice to be able to pull a slide back easier than a regular gun? Sure... But both a grip safety and a thumb safety on a striker fired gun? This makes little sense to me as the trigger system IS THE SAFETY. given those two features alone, I would pass.

With all that said above, the ladies I know who are carrying these, do like them... so if the shooter likes it, I guess thats all that should matter!!

Cheers,
B

Top Bottom