What's new

Knot Removal - JB Weld :(

My first knot-setting was quite a success. I purchased a very nice Bocote wood handle from king1976 and set a TGN 24mm Black Badger knot in it. The brush is very nice-looking and the knot is set very firmly with JB Weld epoxy. The only problem is that I don't like the black badger :sad:

So I am considering re-knotting it with a two-band finest fan-shaped knot from TGN. Am I going to be able to get the previous knot out? How much of a challenge am I facing here?

jb weld drills about the same as regular epoxy .you should have no trouble with it as long as you take the normal care when drilling.have you thought about trading instead of killing a new knot.jus a thought.bst might be an option too.however you go good luck and a pic says a thousand words.

jb weld drills about the same as regular epoxy .you should have no trouble with it as long as you take the normal care when drilling.have you thought about trading instead of killing a new knot.jus a thought.bst might be an option too.however you go good luck and a pic says a thousand words.
I have thought about that, but the custom handle gives me pause. Thanks for the advice.

Photos:
proxy.php

proxy.php

i ran into the same problem setting a tgn 22mm silvertip grade a fan into a 203 ever-ready with a red marbled bottom. i love the handle but set the knot only ever so slightly too high and it's a bit floppy and too full to face lather the way i prefer. it does lather like a mad dog and paints on pretty nice as well. i might chop it off though and go to a different knot. i call it an expensive lesson but don't know any other options. i'll watch to see if you can figure out how to deal with yours. good luck

I suppose I should give the black badger some more time to see if it breaks in, but at the moment it is actually uncomfortable to lather on my face.

i see why you want o keep the handle,sweet brush and the black looks good in it.l love my black badgers.ive now got 5 of them.i use them mostly on days when ive skipped a day shaving.of course i like the scritchyer brushes.

This is why I am a firm believer in RTV silicone over epoxy. It will hold the knot just as good but you can still get the knot out if you have a problem. RTV is a adhesive/sealer, if it is strong enough to hold my 40 gal saltwater aquarium I built together then I think it is strong enough to hold a knot in a handle.

live and learn i suppose. i also found the black badger knots to be close to a little piggy knot which has long been what i thought i liked best. but, the black badger looks great in some of the old handles

i see why you want o keep the handle,sweet brush and the black looks good in it.l love my black badgers.ive now got 5 of them.i use them mostly on days when ive skipped a day shaving.of course i like the scritchyer brushes.
Yeah, my beard is not very thick, so I suppose my skin is more sensitive to the scratchy black badger. I might have to look into this silicone stuff that hig789 mentions.

i'm wondering why you just don't make anothe handle and keep that one. it looks pretty nice with the black badger

I agree it looks nice, but I don't like the feel of the knot, so I tend to avoid using it. Also, I didn't make the handle, I bought it from a vendor.

I don't like the black/pure badgers either...

I think you can do it...just be careful. Tape up the handle really well with masking tape (tape up a couple mm onto the hairs), cut the hairs off then just be gentle with the drill.

If you have access to a drill press with clamps that won't damage the handle, that would be best.

Take care, and you'll be fine.

Yup, same way you get any knot out - cut the hairs as close as you can, then carefully either drill or dremel the rest out. Putting the handle into a vise rather than holding it by hand helps!

Someone also suggested pouring cologne into the base - the alcohol would act as a solvent and soften the glue enough that you could pull the whole thing out.
I can't vouch for that, but it seems to make sense.

Good call. I'll see about getting one in the right size. I just hope I don't break the handle.

Good thread! I'm interested to see how it all comes together. I'm Not familiar with that drill bit does anyone have a pic of one?

This is the only pic I have of one handy. Do a search of "Forstner Bit" There are only a couple styles and they work the same.

Attachments

• $IMG_2456.jpg
    $IMG_2456.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 258
Top Bottom