What's new

Knot Removal - JB Weld :(

Man. I sure wouldn't even attempt to take out the knot.

If it were mine, I'd keep it as is or BST it. Buy another handle. Go again.

And, hig789, great tip on the RTV.

@ Go West Young Man - There ain't no cologne on earth that's going to dissolve epoxy!

Just my opinions.

MaxP

Try clipping the hair and putting a hair dryer or heat gun on the knot. The heat will soften the epoxy and may allow you to pull the knot out.

if you dont like to use black badger knot with another handle cut it and use your dremel or drill pres take the knot out.. if you will use black badger knot with another brush i have another way to you .. i tried with two brush and it is working.
First i taped the knot tightly from the bottom and tied little bit above the tape and than cut the badger knot as close as you can so you take the badger knot togather but critical point is this : if the badger knot not very dense it will shrink when you tied it means you can use with a small brush and also brush loft will be shorter than before as you understand.. i try to explain shortly but pictures will explain it well i think.(also you can tie the knot with a rope or wire )
at the beginning rooney knot was 24/55mm after i cut it and tied for new handle now it is 20/46mm and still usable..
this is the way im using if i like to use knot again.

Attachments

• $r1.jpg
    $r1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 142
  • $r2.jpg
    $r2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 142
  • $r3.jpg
    $r3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 143
  • $r4.jpg
    $r4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 142
You got the answers:) It happened to me as well. Didnt use the black badger but a very low grade badger and it was scritchy as hell. I cut it off and drilled the knot out carefully. Its a loss of the knot but who cares. Also you never get near your investment back through the BST. You like the handle so stick with it. Good luck!

Ok, so I've cut the knot off, now I'll have to figure out the drilling it out part. It's gonna make a big mess :)

Ok, so I was able to get this little task out of the way today. I headed up to my buddy's workshop, where the drillpress made my life a bit easier. I did manage to ding the edges of the knot hole a couple of times, but overall, it cleaned out well and I was able to set the new knot just a few minutes ago. While not as pretty as the black badger, it will actually get used and it still looks great.

Here are the pics:
Ready for drilling
proxy.php

proxy.php

Drilling done
proxy.php

Test fit
proxy.php

And finally, done with the knot set. The loft is roughly 52mm with a 24mm knot.
proxy.php

Thanks. I was a bit worried about it, but I'm happy with the outcome. If all goes well, I'll get some bloom shots tomorrow once the JB Weld sets.

Oh you're going to like that knot! Enjoy the brush!
I really hope so! I love the handle and was a bit disappointed that I didn't like the black badger, so I'm hoping the finest gives me that nice combo of soft tips and backbone that will be a lathering champ.

Ok, here's a bloom shot after two test lathers. This thing has great backbone and wonderfully soft tips. I can already see it becoming a top contender!

proxy.php

Really nice! Looks like you have a winner. I have a 22mm and a 30mm TGN Finest and the 22mm is the softest brush I Own and the 30mm is the scritchiest.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This is why I am a firm believer in RTV silicone over epoxy. It will hold the knot just as good but you can still get the knot out if you have a problem. RTV is a adhesive/sealer, if it is strong enough to hold my 40 gal saltwater aquarium I built together then I think it is strong enough to hold a knot in a handle.
Excellent recommendation hig789, I've been pushing RTV for two years here, no one listens. Oh well.

Fostener bits can be expensive but would definately be the right tool for the job. That RTV silicone is also a great idea (autozone). No doubt some good advice here. Skip the dremmel! So is the base more expensive than the knot? Because you can cut it out around the knot too.

The tools I used turned out alright, even though I did ding the inside of the hole a few times. The 7/8 bit I used to drill out most of the knot was already, but a 1" would have been better, except there wasn't one on hand.

As for the knot, the 24mm size has tended to be my favourite so far, though perhaps the 22mm might be a bit less messy for face lathering. This one bloomed pretty big. With the fan, it's about as big around as my 28mm Frank Shaving bulb knot.

Very nice work, looks so nice I love the handle. Some day I'll Try that with my old berma shave handel, its cheep enough that if I fail no harm no foul. Happy shaving with your new brush.
Korey

Top Bottom