What's new

King Gillette Model 102 Pocket Edition (circa 1913) ...

For me looks that case like a #503

proxy.php

That it does Achim and as you can see in your picture 503 sports the floral razor as well while the 500 (plain), 501 (basket weave), 502 (shell) questionable and 505 (leather clad) all show the fluted razor.

The 102 refers to the thinner #102 cap and guard. These were the standard on the Old Types until August 2, 1921 when the thicker #102A cap and guards were introduced. The #102A can also be identified by more rounded corners on the cap.

Intersting...thanks for setting me straight :blushing:

That it does Achim and as you can see in your picture 503 sports the floral razor as well while the 500 (plain), 501 (basket weave), 502 (shell) questionable and 505 (leather clad) all show the fluted razor.

It looks like the fluted, which Bill has, was the floater and went with any combo as I thought.

It looks like the fluted, which Bill has, was the floater and went with any combo as I thought.

It didn't make it into all the sets. The Empire was always matched. As for Bill's it could have been a set and if so, it would be the first time I've seen that combo.
Without the shipper it is hard to tell. Either way, it's a nice piece.

It didn't make it into all the sets. The Empire was always matched. As for Bill's it could have been a set and if so, it would be the first time I've seen that combo.
Without the shipper it is hard to tell. Either way, it's a nice piece.

Yup! I agree! A very nice piece. By the way, take a look at the case closeups in the original post, Ray. It appears that there is a lacquer finish is areas. Lacquer on silver doesn't make since. Could this have been gunmetal kit? The ads state that the case is gunmetal, not the razor. :confused:

Yup! I agree! A very nice piece. By the way, take a look at the case closeups in the original post, Ray. It appears that there is a lacquer finish is areas. Lacquer on silver doesn't make since. Could this have been gunmetal kit? The ads state that the case is gunmetal, not the razor. :confused:

Guido,

I think that the original pictures may show silver plate loss vs lacquer over silver. I have a similar (unpolished) silver floral set and I do have some of the same areas of plate loss. I will try to take pictures later.

Steve

Guido,

I think that the original pictures may show silver plate loss vs lacquer over silver. I have a similar (unpolished) silver floral set and I do have some of the same areas of plate loss. I will try to take pictures later.

Steve

This was the pic that got me wondering.

proxy.php

Guido,

Thanks for the clarification on the case. My case has a similar look in the picture below. I did not want to try to polish anything until that I was sure that it was silver vs gunmetal. Looks like my set is actually gunmetal and does have the floral handle on the razor.

I can't wait until Ray does his ABC Pocket Razor of the Week post!

Steve

This was the pic that got me wondering.

proxy.php

Thanks again everyone - seems like one heck of a thread rolling here ! Just so it's known, the case I own is without a doubt siliver plate (though the tarnish it's picked up over the many decades does leave it looking "gunmetal-ish". The images weren't the best - and were taken in so-so lighting.

I do appreciate the informative replies and great information everyone has kindly provided.

Best Regards,

Bill

C

cobbfan75

Hey all, great information. I just bought 2 razors on ebay, wanted to see what it was like back in the day to shave with a real man's razor instead of this plastic crap we have today. I have a 1955 Speed King and I believe this one is a 1915 Model 102 Gillette Pocket King with Silver plating. Not 100% sure, but from the research I've done the serial numbers match up to that year and model. All in all it's a beautiful piece I think and I use it daily! Please let me know your thoughts and comments and I look fwd to exploring this site and collecting more fine razors of the past.
Sincerely,
Dylan

Not sure on the razor, but welcome to the site. Make sure you introduce yourself in the newbie section and/or Hall of Fame section

Top Bottom