What's new

Shave Nation Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine wanted to start straight razor shaving, so I went to Straight Razor Designs, my usual source for supplies, to get a razor and paddle strop. It turned out the strops were out of stock, but I found some for sale at Shave Nation. After finding nothing but good reviews on the business, I decided to try them out and placed an order for a paddle strop. I was visiting my out-of-state friend in a week, and figured the 2-3 day Priority Mail service would allow plenty of time for the package to arrive.

5 days later the tracking number showed my package had never left the state it shipped from. I emailed Shave Nation, explaining the situation and asking if they could re-route the package directly to my friend or otherwise check to make sure it had not been lost. Another day passed with no response, so I called. By now the package was 4 days past its projected delivery, and instead of offering to ship another one, Shave Nation told me to first wait another 3 days, and then call them back again if it still hadn’t arrived before they would ship.

Those 3 additional days passed with no shipping updates to my order, and I called Shave Nation to request a replacement strop be mailed directly to my friend as my out-of-state trip had occurred during the shipping delays. They said no problem, took the new address down, and said they would ship that day.

3 days later, the original paddle strop unexpectedly arrived at my house. The wood of the strop was visibly bowed, to the extent that it was completely unusable. I emailed Shave Nation with a photograph of the bowed wood, showing that it was unsuitable for stropping, and said that while I would ordinarily request a refund or store credit, hopefully the replacement strop sent directly to my friend would be suitable and we could leave it at that. I also said that if they wanted me to ship the original strop back, I would do so because I couldn’t put a razor to it.

Again, I received no response to my email, and additional days passed without my out-of-state friend receiving the strop that Shave Nation supposedly shipped. After waiting over a week, I called Shave Nation to inform them that the replacement strop was never received. They responded that they never mailed it because they “saw the original order arrived at [my] house.” This claim overlooked the 3-day delay between when they said they would ship a replacement and the tracking information updating to show delivery. I responded that as per my email, the strop I received was completely unusable anyway and asked for a refund. I was told that to get refunded, I would first have to ship the useless strop back to them, even though I had sent them a photograph clearly showing that the wood was bowed to the point that it was completely unusable. Why they would demand I pay to ship it back before offering a refund after a now weeks-long process of discontent for a first time customer is beyond me. No apology or surprise was offered at the non-functionality of a product they produced and shipped.

I sent the defective strop back with a tracking number, emailed Shave Nation with an expected date of delivery, and received no response. It was delivered on time, and 4 days later, my credit card still had not been refunded. I sent another email stating the package had been signed for and no refund had been supplied, and asking them to confirm receipt. Again, no response was received so I called. I was told that returned packages are delivered to a different location, they would pick up that day, and I should receive my refund in another 2 days after they confirmed the strop return was received. 4 days later, I received my refund with an additional $7, presumably to defray the $10 in shipping costs I incurred in sending the product back.

I don’t blame Shave Nation for postal delays; similarly, I can understand occasional lapses in customer service, or occasional issues with quality control of products, but not both. To this date none of my emails have been responded to, and I was not impressed with Shave Nation’s resolution once I called and forced the issue —namely, wait longer, followed by falsely saying they would ship a replacement and never doing so. I could understand the steadfast desire to force a customer to allow more time for the shipment delay and hesitation to send a replacement if the order were something expensive like an actual straight razor, but this was over a $30 strop. Given the excessive delays for a first time customer buying a gift for another potential future customer, I would have liked to see Shave Nation ship another one and take it on faith that I would have returned the original had it ever arrived. Even if I hadn’t, they’d be out one nonfunctional $30 strop, I would have been impressed with their customer service, and consequently made future purchases from them to say nothing of recommending Shave Nation to others. Instead, the process of dealing with Shave Nation turned so bad so quickly that it inspired me to begin documenting my experience with them as it unfolded at gruesome length.

By contrast, the one time I had a problem with a Straight Razor Designs order was a scuttle that arrived broken; I emailed them a picture, and they immediately offered either a full refund or store credit. I didn’t have to ship back the broken scuttle for them to physically hold it and ascertain its uselessness, and I certainly didn’t have to do so after it was delayed in the mail, my emails went consistently unanswered, and I was told to wait longer before they’d ship another one. Nor did they lie to me by saying they would ship a replacement that day, then wait another 3 days before claiming they cancelled the shipment without notifying me because they saw the original had gotten delivered.

Mercifully, Straight Razor Designs got paddle strops back in stock around the time that Shave Nation was holding my credit card refund hostage for the return of a nonfunctional strop. I ordered a Straight Razor Designs strop for my friend; it shipped within 12 hours, and arrived 2 days later. Had it been delayed or arrived in substandard condition, I feel confident that Straight Razor Designs would have been responsive to my emails, resolved the issue to my satisfaction, and done so in a time period less than the multiple weeks it took Shave Nation to do so.

Had I seen a Shave Nation review like mine, I would never have placed the order and in doing so been spared the 5 unanswered emails and 4 phone calls to financially break even from the first and last order I will ever place with Shave Nation, provided I don’t consider the uncompensated $3 difference in shipping costs that I had to pay to return a nonfunctional product in order to be graced with a refund.

As a final note on my experience, I sent the above review in its entirety to Shave Nation. I stated that although they had never responded to an email I had ever sent, I was hoping they would address the issue as I believed in first allowing a merchant to rectify the situation before complaining to others. I also asked if there was anything I was not taking into account, or if my discontent with their business was in any way unjustified.

9 days later, I had not received a response. I called Shave Nation for the final time. After asking if they had received the review I sent, they responded that they had. Then they said they already provided a refund, and asked what else I would like them to do. When I asked why none of my emails were responded to over the past month, they said, “Well I’m talking to you right now, aren’t I?”

At that point I thanked them and they hung up on me.

I am sorry for the negative first post; so far I have been a lurker and that’s the way I like it. However I’d be remiss if I didn’t share a bad experience reflecting business practices that I wish I’d known about before placing an order with a company I hadn’t used before. Below is the picture I sent Shave Nation of the strop resting on a flat surface, in case anyone suspects I am exaggerating about the state of construction.

I have only been on the straight razor path for a few months now, but I’m completely hooked and will be at this for life. Thanks to all for the great information on this site, and to Straight Razor Designs for the wonderful service that I will continue to utilize for all my wet shaving needs (and no, I’m not being paid to say that).

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

• $SN strop.jpg
    $SN strop.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 556
Nice, factual review. No name calling. The facts are the facts. Glad this all worked out for you, but sounds to me like they repeatedly dropped the ball.

Not sure about Shave nation but after seeing their prices and looking at their site i was not impressed to be honest when i saw the shave nation guy on YouTube i just didn't like him right at the get go i am a very good judge of character all though i never met him just felt like i couldn't trust him call it a hunch or whatever so i never ordered from them. Then after comparing prices on multiple sites his were a bit high to say the least. As for SRD i have spent a lot of money there and they are great, but i have heard others say they had a bad experience and their prices are fair and the fact that you get a honed str8 is nice plus the free extra honing. I mainly now only order form Italian Barber and shaving.ie just because i hate paying taxes and IB $60 free ship and shaving.ie is very cheap. Good luck in your str8 adventures sorry about the bad time but it happens to everyone. And don't be a lurker participate there is always people looking for good advice like this review you just did.

Thanks for posting.

Yeah I was thinking about buying their Alum block, since it was a good size, but, very hesitant now.
Their website looks well... dodge... and it's been putting me off too.

As for the shave nation guy on youtube, yeah I completely agree oleg, I kinda got the impression, "Really, that guy runs a business?" lol

Thanks for the review, I really appreciate these honest and detailed reviews because it really helps because there are some bad sites out there and they should be exposed to the community, especially one as small as ours.

One thing I've learned, if a website has nothing but 5 star reviews, they're deleting bad reviews and are not trustworthy.

I'm surprised his company (which seems to be a one man show) has lasted so long if the service tends to be this poor. A quick google search reveals posts on other forums going back to around 2010.
I always thought GeoFatboy came across well on his youtube videos. I must be a very poor judge of character then...!

Why does the OP have a zero post count? Also the username SRD4life seems a little strange.
Anyway, I was contemplating a purchase from Shave Nation as they had a good price on a particular item, but now I probably won't. But I'd only heard good things about this vendor up till now, even if the number of reviews weren't that high.

I've bought several items in the double edge category fro Gio, most likely because it was his YouTube videos that launched my hobby, with no problems whatsoever. My last purchase was a few months back so perhaps something has changed. Are there any others out there that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences?

I learned an incredible amount from Geo while watching his videos. He seems like a great guy to me. I can't imagine this being his normal way of conducting business or he wouldn't still be in business.

I've been ordering from Shave Nation for about 5 years and have NEVER had a single issue. Not only have they been totally professional but his videos are some of the best out there. I'm very surprised by this review because Shave Nation's customer service has been great for me.

Why does the OP have a zero post count? Also the username SRD4life seems a little strange...
Well now he's changed username as well.
Very odd.
Personally I think it's a bogus review, seems drastically at odds with other folks' experiences & perhaps the Mods should get involved?

Well now he's changed username as well.
Very odd.
Personally I think it's a bogus review, seems drastically at odds with other folks' experiences & perhaps the Mods should get involved?
Wow, sounds like a bs move....Maybe the guy was a doo rag hater...

As we speak, very sophisticated triangulation procedures are in motion. Once an appropriate time to strike has been determined, carefully calculated to minimize collateral damage, the target will be neutralized.

I'm surprised his company (which seems to be a one man show) has lasted so long if the service tends to be this poor. A quick google search reveals posts on other forums going back to around 2010.
I always thought GeoFatboy came across well on his youtube videos. I must be a very poor judge of character then...!

I don't personally know George (Geo), but we have some mutual acquaintances. Nothing but good stuff said about him, both shaving and motorcycle related. Very bogus sounding review. Paid shill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom