What's new

King c Gillette de blades

I’ve tried German, Indian, and Japanese blades and have found Russian to be Superior. I don’t know why Gillette makes many of their blades there. I don’t use Gillette blades often and honestly love a great number of different blades. I’m using a Feather today. Tomorrow I might use a Titanium Sharp? You never know......
My thing is how many great non-Gillette DE blades are there that are great? You cant say Astras either because Astra is owned by P&G.
I dont like loving Russian blades for political reasons but I wish that I could get past it because there are some truly great Russian made blades out there.

My thing is how many great non-Gillette DE blades are there that are great? You cant say Astras either because Astra is owned by P&G.
I dont like loving Russian blades for political reasons but I wish that I could get past it because there are some truly great Russian made blades out there.
My favorite is Rapira. Well that and the PolSilver but we won’t get into that. Feather Kinda pricey but hey
Kai it’s more a weapon than razor blade
A few Lord are excellent and do nicely.
I’ve purposely stayed away from Personna but there’s that.
Bolzano for me and many others get a nod
And another but it also is Russian Voskhod
I also like Sharp hi Chrome but I’ve not seen many others say much.
I’ve only found one blade I’ve not liked actually. It’s German and by a razor company. It came with my razor and it was the worst blade. Merkur! oh and Derby suck too. I think the Derby might just be a me thing thou cause it’s popular. I can get one good shave out of a Derby then nothing. I’ll try again soon to test em out again.

I’ve tried German, Indian, and Japanese blades and have found Russian to be Superior. I don’t know why Gillette makes many of their blades there. I don’t use Gillette blades often and honestly love a great number of different blades. I’m using a Feather today. Tomorrow I might use a Titanium Sharp? You never know......

Gillette opened the plant in St Petersburg in 2000, probably because the margin on DE blades is too small to continue manufacturing them in relatively expensive eurozone members Great Britain, Poland, and Czech Republic. So all the knowledge that all of Gillette’s Europe operations had about making blades went to that plant in Russia. If you always had a taste for Gillette blades, they’re still in production there.

India and China are separate operations.

Gillette opened the plant in St Petersburg in 2000, probably because the margin on DE blades is too small to continue manufacturing them in relatively expensive eurozone members Great Britain, Poland, and Czech Republic. So all the knowledge that all of Gillette’s Europe operations had about making blades went to that plant in Russia. If you always had a taste for Gillette blades, they’re still in production there.

India and China are separate operations.
Yes. That’s correct....
I’m not a Gillette blade guy but that’s true. I’m not sure how your comment relates but ok.

Yes. That’s correct....
I’m not a Gillette blade guy but that’s true. I’m not sure how your comment relates but ok.

The sentence you wrote was that you don’t know why Gillette makes many of their blades there. They make their blades there because that’s where the company put the factory that sells blades to European customers. Was that sentence supposed to mean something different from the plain text on the screen? Are they supposed to come from somewhere else?

I think generalizing about Russian blades being superior is nonsense. I don't buy blades based upon national original but my regular stable of blades includes BIC, Super Max BD, Treet Plats, Chinese Wilkinsons and Suneko, in addition to 7 O'clock Green SS. If Russian blades are superior it has escaped my notice.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

The sentence you wrote was that you don’t know why Gillette makes many of their blades there. They make their blades there because that’s where the company put the factory that sells blades to European customers. Was that sentence supposed to mean something different from the plain text on the screen? Are they supposed to come from somewhere else?
I understand. Thanks for the response back and sorry for the initial misunderstanding.

I think generalizing about Russian blades being superior is nonsense. I don't buy blades based upon national original but my regular stable of blades includes BIC, Super Max BD, Treet Plats, Chinese Wilkinsons and Suneko, in addition to 7 O'clock Green SS. If Russian blades are superior it has escaped my notice.

I don’t buy blades due to their country of origin. I own blades from many countries and Russia are the best.

As much as I would like to buy Gillette, I still cannot make myself do so. I guess its just my toxic masculinity! LOL All of that being said, I may buy a pack of these just for the novelty. My goto blade these days are lab blues and they are made in the U.S.

It is one of the PPI blades with different branding. I would think if they are targeting sales in North America they would rebrand the most popular blade sold in that region. It would be great to see someone do a shave comparison with that blade and Gillette Silver Blue or Gillette Platinum.

Get to use one of these that came with my KCG this morning. Maybe later this week I'll take @Invicta 's advise and put one in one of my Techs and my GSB in another Tech and do a side by side.

Also of note: my wife has never bought a DE blade in her life. I buy them on the internet (mostly Amazon but occasionally eBay). But she said as she gave me the razor this morning, "They had some blades there as well, but they seemed really expensive so I didn't buy them, if you think that's a good price we can go back and get them".

If it says russia then it's more than likely a rebadged platinum.

Gillette-Platinum-Razor-Blade.jpg

I don’t buy blades due to their country of origin. I own blades from many countries and Russia are the best.
My point was the fact that the bulk of my blades are not Russian is not driven by any anti Russian buying strategy. Your position was made clear.

My point was the fact that the bulk of my blades are not Russian is not driven by any anti Russian buying strategy. Your position was made clear.

lol
Sorry
I adore DE blades. I was kinda surprised to learn that when I started DE shaving. They all are special in their own way. To me they have personalities all their own. I can get carried away talking about em to someone who will actually listen let alone understand.

I think generalizing about Russian blades being superior is nonsense. Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Agree. Like I said, I think that its much more that Gillette took their blade making knowhow and just happened to move it to Russia than the notion that somehow the Russians are brilliant blade makers.
Sheffield and Solingen are certainly cities that have a history of blade making; St Petersburg? Not so much. Likely the reason why Gillette set up shop in St Petersburg is because they have a wonderful sea port and one of the largest foundries in Russia. If you want to make and distribute blades, having access to a port to ship your blades out of and being able to get the steel to make your blades from are pretty important.
Im working to get over by bias against Russian blades because I realize that having hate in my heart towards Russia isnt a good thing, just because I dont like some of the things that Putin and his regime do. I need to learn to seperate the government from the country and its people, many of whom Im sure dont love Putin and would like more freedom and open elections. (Im not trying to get all political here but I feel that I cant say that I dont like Russian blades for politcal reasons and not explain why)

I say Russian blades are the best (they are) and people think I say why. I didn’t say why. I didn’t say, Russian people are superior craftsman at the art of DE blade making. I don’t know. Immigrants from Asia or wherever could be actually making them in Russia.

The wilkinson sword classic razor is available in tesco extras and superstores but not the blades but tesco do there own de blades available in extra stores boots sell the classic razor and the blades boots only sell the metal classic razor I know they used to have the plastic one

...Likely the reason why Gillette set up shop in St Petersburg is because they have a wonderful sea port and one of the largest foundries in Russia. If you want to make and distribute blades, having access to a port to ship your blades out of and being able to get the steel to make your blades from are pretty important.
That makes sensse. It was also a joint venture and 35% of the company was funded by a Russian group having close links with St Petersburg. Labour costs are low there so it is not unusual for a large plant {maximum capacity 860 million blades per year} to be located where real estate was also cheaper than other locations. Would not surprise me if there were a few state sweeteners offered too.
The location may be Russian but the blade technology is from P&G. They make good P&G blades there and lots of them.

That makes sensse. It was also a joint venture and 35% of the company was funded by a Russian group having close links with St Petersburg. Labour costs are low there so it is not unusual for a large plant {maximum capacity 860 million blades per year} to be located where real estate was also cheaper than other locations. Would not surprise me if there were a few state sweeteners offered too.
The location may be Russian but the blade technology is from P&G. They make good P&G blades there and lots of them.
I wonder how many blades come out of Gillette's JV in Shanghai?? I have no idea but China+India+SE Asia = a lot of people.

Top Bottom