What's new

Kimber K6

Most reports I've read or seen on YouTube from owners of the new Kimber K6 seem to be quite positive. People who own them usually seem to not so much like them but they more seem to love them. I love that they are 6-shot revolvers. However, I'm not a huge fan of 2" revolvers (until the advent of short barrel loadings, it took a 3" barrel before you could be reasonably sure of reliable hollow point expansion). Well, they are now coming out with a 3" version:
Kimber America | K6s Stainless 3” | Stainless | Revolver | Handguns

Based on the original being out for a while (officially) and only recently becoming reasonably easily available (and still usually priced near MSRP so supply is still somewhat rare compared to demand), I figure it will be a year or so before they are seen in any numbers. However, I am definitely interested. At 1.39" in width, it is a tad thicker than the 5-shot J-frame (1.39" v. 1.306) or SP101 (almost 1.35"), a tad thinner than the 6-shot Colt D-frames (1.40"), and a bit thinner than the 6-shot K-frames (1.446").

From what I see reported, the triggers are nice. The DAO and no exposed hammer means nothing to snag on the draw. At 23oz, recoil will probably be a bit stout with magnums, but with .38+P it will probably be quite comfortable. It comes with white dot sights so they should be easier than most fixed sight revolvers, and since several models are coming out with night sights, I'm sure night sights will be available as an aftermarket option soon (if they aren't already, I haven't checked yet).

Once it is readily available, I may have to buy one and see if my opinion changes as to what is the perfect carry revolver (currently, IMO, the 3" K-frame). I suspect it just may take the throne.

I mean, at least being a revolver, unlike most Kimbers it wont jam on you. It seems kind of overpriced for what it is though. You could buy a Ruger or a Smith for less.

I mean, at least being a revolver, unlike most Kimbers it wont jam on you. It seems kind of overpriced for what it is though. You could buy a Ruger or a Smith for less.

For just the revolver itself you can get a S&W or Ruger for less, but once you take it to a smith and have some of the features added (improved sights, improved trigger, bobbed hammer) you'll probably spend several hundred dollars more on the S&W or Ruger. Plus, some of the things that make this such a great carry revolver (at least on paper) can't be found in the same combination from S&W or Ruger: same capacity is noticeably larger, smaller size/similar weight and you only have 5 shots. The gun that comes closest on features is the current production Colt Cobra (6 rounds, small frame carry gun, improved sights), but it is .38 only (though at 23oz I see the K6 as a beefed up .38 that can shoot magnums in a pinch), it only comes with a 2" barrel, it weighs 2oz more (not enough to be definitively worse in carry or better at the range, but it is there), you still need to take it to a smith to get the hammer bobbed if you want the hammerless/snag free draw, and it costs about the same as the Kimber K6 at most dealers before you have any work done on it.

For an all around revolver I wouldn't recommend it because it is still a small framed revolver. But as a dedicated carry gun, at least on paper, it hits most of the items I want on my checklist better than anything else on the market (now that it is coming in a 3"). Though, I probably would change out the grips to something lower profile.

Colt Cobra....has anyone actually seen/handled/shot one yet?
I haven't seen one in person, but they are available on Gunbroker, and there are some people on some of the gun forums and YouTube who have one. It sounds like it may have an even better trigger than the Kimber. Sounds like a nice gun, and I may pick one up if they decide to make it in a 3" (in addition to needing to eventually pick up a 3" K6).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Colt Cobra....has anyone actually seen/handled/shot one yet?

I really like mine.

img_0002-jpg.761714

Oh, you're talking about one of the new ones. :001_smile

Since there's not an authorized Colt dealer close, I doubt I'll see one anywhere around here anytime soon. I'd like to shoot one of the new ones.

I'd also like to shoot one of the new Kimbers. As good as the reviews are on it, the shape of the cylinder and the styling on it just doesn't "trip my trigger." I would like to handle one though.

The K6 is on my carry revolver radar along with the GP101 in 44 special.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

For just the revolver itself you can get a S&W or Ruger for less, but once you take it to a smith and have some of the features added (improved sights, improved trigger, bobbed hammer) you'll probably spend several hundred dollars more on the S&W or Ruger. Plus, some of the things that make this such a great carry revolver (at least on paper) can't be found in the same combination from S&W or Ruger: same capacity is noticeably larger, smaller size/similar weight and you only have 5 shots. The gun that comes closest on features is the current production Colt Cobra (6 rounds, small frame carry gun, improved sights), but it is .38 only (though at 23oz I see the K6 as a beefed up .38 that can shoot magnums in a pinch), it only comes with a 2" barrel, it weighs 2oz more (not enough to be definitively worse in carry or better at the range, but it is there), you still need to take it to a smith to get the hammer bobbed if you want the hammerless/snag free draw, and it costs about the same as the Kimber K6 at most dealers before you have any work done on it.

For an all around revolver I wouldn't recommend it because it is still a small framed revolver. But as a dedicated carry gun, at least on paper, it hits most of the items I want on my checklist better than anything else on the market (now that it is coming in a 3"). Though, I probably would change out the grips to something lower profile.
The price itself isnt completely out of line, its nowhere near as crazy as some of Kimber's high-end 1911s are. You are right though that its basically like a modded Smith/Ruger.

.44 Special is an excellent round. I wonder how available it is in stores? You could always order online though.

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

That's what it is...that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
I cast and reload so it's mostly not an issue to me. To date I haven't been inclined to carry reloads, but...

Hollowpoints are as easy to cast as anything else.

I think there are some nice defense rounds available and knowing my local store they probably carry them. I wouldn't be afraid of buying several boxes online to keep on hand either.

These are some cast 45acp rounds I made, just because. I have other stuff for carry. I load these fairly hot to give me a practice round with similar recoil to carry ammo.
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@RandyC ; those are some *interesting* cast slugs. What mold?

Might be the camera angle, but it reminds me of the "flying ashtray" .45 ACP JHP.

I imagine those WOULD open up.

AA

@RandyC ; those are some *interesting* cast slugs. What mold?

Might be the camera angle, but it reminds me of the "flying ashtray" .45 ACP JHP.

I imagine those WOULD open up.

AA
MP 452-225 HP PB

I didn't get mine direct from his store, he used to do group buys on another forum. He says on the link they drop at .454 but I don't remember mine being THAT big.
There's also a small hp pin and penta shaped pin, there's options :)

I use 60/40 mix of wheel weights and pure lead with just a bit of tin to help it fill out well. I use this alloy air cooled for .45 and .38 and drop them from the mold to water to harden them for gas checked .357 and .44 and lower velocity rifle rounds up to about 2000fps. Faster and I use an alloy a couple friends developed that has a bit of copper babbitt in it. I've had 195gr cast moving 2400fps from my .308 with decent accuracy beating on plates at 250yds.

Makes shooting a LOT cheaper.

Last edited:
An airsoft BB fits in the opening but about 1/3 protrudes. If I get around to testing with wet phone books I might try super gluing a few in to see what it does.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks!

Euros? what the hey ... Slovenia. Interesting.

I do have about four .452 molds, but not one like that ... thanks.

AA

Top Bottom