What's new

Kilts, man-skirts and sartorial freedom

If you go to Google images and type in "man-skirt" you will see there is quite a variety of "kilt-inspired" man-skirts. I recognize a kilt is a kilt, separate and distinct from a skirt and that it is specific to Scottish culture. I do believe, regardless of what you call them, there is something very natural about wearing a skirt. It is just that our western culture seems to be quite stuck on attributing them to women as a form of acceptable attire. The Scots are just more progressive I guess. Regardless, if I was more adventuresome I would wear a skirt. I do have a bit of Scot in me...hmmmm...maybe...

If you go to Google images and type in "man-skirt" you will see there is quite a variety of "kilt-inspired" man-skirts. I recognize a kilt is a kilt, separate and distinct from a skirt and that it is specific to Scottish culture.
Irish, too. The main difference being that a Scottish tartan represents a clan, whereas an Irish one represents a geographical area.

The kilt is more of a Gaelic than a Celtic thing, hence kilts are not common in Wales, although they do exist. As the letter "k" does not exist in the Welsh language, they are called cilts. And I was very careful to make sure I spelled that correctly.

Irish, too. The main difference being that a Scottish tartan represents a clan, whereas an Irish one represents a geographical area.

The kilt is more of a Gaelic than a Celtic thing, hence kilts are not common in Wales, although they do exist. As the letter "k" does not exist in the Welsh language, they are called cilts. And I was very careful to make sure I spelled that correctly.

My grandmother was Irish! I must go shopping!

This is a great question! Fortunately nothing that this old guy will need to worry about. I will stick with trousers.

Boring I know, but it keeps LOTH happy!

In the U.S. at least women have great latitude; they can wear just about anything. No one thinks twice about seeing a woman in a dress, or jeans and flannel shirt. She can wear heels or work boots or athletic shoes. Men are much more restricted. A fella in a skirt is going to stand out like a cat in a dog kennel.

Great lattitude is an understatement. Where I teach there is a pretty strict dress code that always gets the girls in an uproar. I inform them the dress code is for everyone. No where does it say "dress code for boys, dress code for girls." If a guy wanted to wear a mini skirt he would be subjected to the same scrutiny that a girl would be. Maybe more. If his skirt was of appropriate length he would be allowed to wear it. Since these are 12-13 year old students it blows their minds.

Unless things have changed greatly since I was 13, any lad wearing a skirt to school had better be well prepared for a high degree of peer harassment, right?

Come to Tokyo. You can walk down the street in a Playboy bunny outfit and stiletto heels, and no one but the tourists will look twice.

Come to Tokyo. You can walk down the street in a Playboy bunny outfit and stiletto heels, and no one but the tourists will look twice.

Actually, I have never entertained the desire to do so. I am more of a khaki slacks, button down shirt sort of fellow. As for others, I do not much care, so long as they do not make a nuisance of themselves and disrupt traffic.

Unless things have changed greatly since I was 13, any lad wearing a skirt to school had better be well prepared for a high degree of peer harassment, right?

Things have not changed for the most part with clothing. By the end of 8th grade we always have one or two young gentlemen wearing make up. Due to the dominant culture here, no one really worries about it and if someone does they don't get the backup they need to make a big noise. One or two girls swing the other direction and are even more accepted.

Would it be the same outside Tokyo or is Tokyo representative of the attitudes throughout Japan?

Would it be the same outside Tokyo or is Tokyo representative of the attitudes throughout Japan?

I'd say pretty much representative. Partly because it would be rude to stare or make a fuss, and partly because the Japanese 'normal' is calibrated a lot differently due to things like Goth Loli, Idol Culture, and a generally much greater tolerance for 'cute' forms of gender ambiguity.

Top Bottom