What's new

Kayaking the back country

Apparently, the two outfitters we spoke to don't like the weld idea for some reason. As for the repair glue that is supposed to work, no one carries it and we would have to order it. Therefore, there is no way to order, repair, and allow to cure before our trip. The outfitter in Indy swears that JB Weld will work. He said the worst case scenario is that this winter it will crack open. So, I think we are going to try that, at least to get us through this trip.

JB Weld? That will probably work. Not sure why anyone would be against plastic welding though. Hey as long as it you can repair it, who cares?

I am hoping that maybe this fall to go to Nordhouse this fall.

Yes, pictured Rocks is what I meant. We decided against that and Nordhouse because we really don't have any experience on that type of water. We have always been on smaller lakes and rivers. I hope to go up to Lake Michigan for a day trip to see how bad it is. If it goes well, I would like to either go to the boundry waters or Nordhouse this fall. Maybe Pictured Rocks next year.

Can't really blame you. Kayaking on the Great Lakes is different than a small river or lake. They are more like inland seas than lakes in many respects. Doing the Pictured Rocks by kayak or canoe would be extremely cool by the way.

Can't really blame you. Kayaking on the Great Lakes is different than a small river or lake. They are more like inland seas than lakes in many respects. Doing the Pictured Rocks by kayak or canoe would be extremely cool by the way.

I hope to get a few day trips in before we go, but Pictured Rocks looks like a must.

Hammocks are SO comfortable :biggrin:

I've got one I use in my backyard that I just love. It's HUGE to. 15 feet long, 6 wide. I can fit a good number of ppl in there:biggrin:

I figured out a way to test the hammock. I am heading out there to sleep in a few minutes.

When you wake up, you can officially reward yourself with this shirt!

proxy.php

Well, I went to sleep at about 1130 and woke up at 1500. I was drenched in sweat, but quite comfortable. I came inside and slept for a couple of hours more. I learned a few things about setting it up, so i am glad I did it. I also patched the holes today. I am going to check it in the morning to see how it did. Just for fun, I took pictures of the bullet holes.

Ask and you shall receive. Obviously, the one bullet hole deformed the plastic and there isn't much I can do to make it smooth. The last pic is my awesome truck anxiously awaiting it's cargo and adventure. :cool:

Ask and you shall receive. Obviously, the one bullet hole deformed the plastic and there isn't much I can do to make it smooth. The last pic is my awesome truck anxiously awaiting it's cargo and adventure. :cool:

As long as its sealed that's all that matters. Now getting packing and go have fun! And don't sink this weekend, that would be bad! :biggrin:

Well, I am about packed. I still have to load the truck, but that will be easy. One kayak is in the garage. We are using it to test how things will fit. If I am lucky, I will be able to post a pic of my loaded truck as my departing good-bye post. :cool:

Well, we are later than they thought, but I was right on. So, gentlemen, I bid you farewell. May I return to civilization as I left it or stay there forever. Here is my girl loaded and ready for war. I warn you. This was completely handheld and several seconds long, so it is a little fuzzy. See ya, guys!

Well, we are later than they thought, but I was right on. So, gentlemen, I bid you farewell. May I return to civilization as I left it or stay there forever. Here is my girl loaded and ready for war. I warn you. This was completely handheld and several seconds long, so it is a little fuzzy. See ya, guys!

Have fun! Don't drown! :biggrin:

I survived and am back home. I already told the first story here, and won't repeat it.

Some people camped up the hill from us. The husband's name was Wade. He had agreed to take us in his 14' speedboat to the marina just before him and his wife returned home to get their kids at the end of the first weekend. Long story, but we didn't end up getting anything. We were within sight of the camp when a Fish & Wildlife Officer pulled us over. We weren't doing anything wrong, he thought the tag was the wrong color but saw he was wrong once he was beside us. As he took off, we did too. Another huge boat had went by at about the same time. Weird circumstances caused an unusual wake that flooded over the bow.

There wasn't much we could do. I stood up and hung on as the boat went over. I could see my wife and my friend's 12 year old daughter thrown from the boat. I also saw Larry, my friend jumping clear. He is afraid of open water (I didn't know this until we were there) and his daughter could not swim. Fortunately, they were both wearing their vests. I saw my wife clinging to a floating cushion, so I knew they were safe. The last thing I saw was the boat coming down on top of Wade as I had jumped clear. I got to the overturned boat and confirmed all of my party was safe. I asked where was Wade. I had to kind of yell at Larry when he tried to tell me he was on the other side of the boat. I said no he isn't. I was about to go under to get him, when he came up between Larry and I. He had been getting the extra PFD's from under his seat.

When I confirmed he was safe, I wrapped the bowline around my arm and started swimming for the nearest shore. I had pulled the boat quite a ways when the boat that had swamped us arrived to help. They were freaking out a little too much to be of much help. They did get my wife and friends out of the drink, however. Wade caught up with me and started helping tow the boat. A bass boat was beached and the occupants were talking to Wade's wife. The two men jumped in their boat and came over and started towing us in. I sat on the stern of the boat while it was being towed since I didn't take time to get a life vest.

When we got to the shallows, I was able to flip the boat over. We bailed and bailed and bailed. Then, we bailed some more. And then a little more. We beached it and the bass boat had tools and they worked on it for a while. They got it running for a little bit and confirmed no permanent damage was done.

Wade was a great guy. We felt so bad since he was helping us. The way he saw it, his children, including his four month old daughter, wasn't on board and he knows better how to handle the situation. When he first introduced himself to us, he introduced his wife as his wife and sister. At first we missed the joke. He was playing on the Kentucky hillbilly stereotype. Like I said, he was a great guy.

The bass boat ended up towing Wade and his wife back to the boat ramp. All he lost was a back-up battery.

Well, that was one adventure. I will save the next for tomorrow. I will also post some pictures. :cool:

Top Bottom