What's new

Stropper on the "Streamline" is it worth it?

Not sure in what section this should be placed in so.. Got me a splendid set of an Ever Ready Ready from a friendly member.
Question: is it worthwhile using the stroppping machine included? I am used of sharpening/stropping ktichen knives and got premium leather and stones to get whatever going but was thinking using the "machine" included would possible be a shame. Anyone used it with a fair result?

Off course I can just use my oridinary GEMs or have a play on the original blades with the stuff I have at home. (paddle strops etc)
Hate to have to experiment cutting premium stropping leather to fit on a gimmick so I just want to ask beforehand.

Attachments

• IMG_8290[1].JPG
    IMG_8290[1].JPG
    724.9 KB · Views: 5
It wouldn't be for me. It would wear the coating off modern blades I would think. Vintage blades might be another story, but why bother?

All I have is ...
Some stroppers have had very little usage, and some have had enough usage to wear off the chrome from contact with the back of the strop!

case in question ....

1-IMG_20230909_111534~2.jpg

It is chrome, because you cannot nickel plate chrome :crazy:

1-IMG_20230910_165543~2.jpg

Hence, to wear chrome that far down, the stropper was well used, but it may have been a really frugal Scottish Gent, who'll ''no be payin tupence for new blade'' until he can wear out this one.
Use of strop dressing is an unknown?

:D

Hmm. I´ll take on of the original unused Corrux blades and lap it 100 times on my paddlestrop and see how a shave goes. If it´s turns worthwhile I will cut a bit of a premium leather and get the "E.R stropper machine" going. I let the original stropper be intact.
It´s funny that few people around seldom use these stroppers. The current disposable GEM blades are great but I would like to take the hobby to a new level using the original blades and see if it´s worth the effort.
If great is the result I will likely test the original blades on my other SE razors. Got several old timers around.

It´s funny that few people around seldom use these stroppers.
As above:- coatings
cost versus effort, in todays affluent society? today you get a weekly wage of $???.?? to $????.?? ....... a buck for a blade and you think nothing off tossing it out, when a few Great Brit pound was all you got for a week, a two shilling blade pack would have been stretched to as many times you could? possibly stropping the literal life from one blade. no?

So, if you want ....... single edge stroppers also have a "Double Edge Adaptor" [they are out there, hiding, timidly waiting to be rediscovered, or rotting in landfill many years ago because "what the hell was that for in granda's stuff?" huck it in the bin]

1-IMG_Never_Ready_Slopper_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom