What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I basically tried to follow the process described by many other Members here in this forum. I ordered two polishing compounds: Dialux yellow and Dialux white. I think the same product is sold under different brand names outside of Europe. I also bought some small cotton wheels for a dremel. I don’t have a dremel but these wheels fit into any drilling machine. So, I fixed my drilling machine to a work bench, used some tape to block it in order for me to be able to have both hands free. First I actually held the drilling machine with one hand and the razor with the other. That works as well but having both hands to polish the razor let’s you work way more accurately. Then you basically just have to apply the polishing compounds to the cotton wheels and pass the razor parts evenly over the spinning cotton wheel. If you google for “polishing metals with a dremel” you will find lots of inspiration and tutorials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I have a Karve with SB plates C through F. I've used them all. I like them all. Lately I've got the itch to try some A and B plates for quick SAS shaves and for touch-ups for the day after a lousy shave. I have no idea how this will turn out, I just want to try it. I still cannot seem to get a comfortable shave after one or two days. So I'm going to try milder plates and see how it goes.

So of course this brings me to deciding between SB and OC plates. If you have used the Karve with SB plates and then moved to OC at some point, please tell me about the experience; good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks!

In general, I'm a big fan of safety bars AND open combs. Usually a slight edge to OC.

That said, the Karve safety bar design works better for my face. I can't say why. It just locks in and feels very smooth. The OC didn't add anything positive for me. :idk:

I've used SB - C,D,E and OC-D.

SB-E is my favorite. I might try SB-F some day

I have the Karve Open Comb B plate. It was my first experiment with open combs. I did not like the feel (shave was fine). It helped form an opinion that I do not enjoy blade feel. With that said, the Open Comb B shaved closer to the Safety Bar C (and was more efficient than the B). The SB C was still a more efficient shave to me.

Do you have other open comb razors that you enjoy?

I don't think the Karve OC is representative of OC razors. Something didn't feel right about it, and I am a big fan of OC razors.

Reading this thread, I’m reminded once again how much YMMV! I have a bias in favor of OCs, but I have to admit that the Karve’s superb grip on the blade is such a dominant factor that I find very little difference between my original SB plates and the OC plates I got as soon as they were available.

I usually use the C and D plates, but milder plates for a fast shave or after some “interesting” shaving experiment are a nice option. B is my mildest, E my most aggressive. There is a Voskhod in my 3” brass Karve right now.

I have a Karve D plate SB in brass and a C plate OC in SS. Although the two should be similar in aggressiveness, I find the D plate SB gives a smoother shave than the C plate OC.

In his post, Juno indicated that something is not quite right about the Karve OC heads. I tend to agree with him. My suspicion is that it may have been a mistake for Chris to try to use the same cap design with both the SB and OC bases. The razor was originally designed to be a SB razor and then it was retrofitted with an OC base. I do not think the retrofit was entirely successful.

I may end up scrapping the OC head and purchasing an E plate SB in SS instead or even purchase another D plate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have B, C, D, E and F SB plates. B, C and F OC plates.

Started on the OC plates, migrated to the SB plates.

C-SB and D-SB are my favorites.

I bought my brass Karve with a B OC plate. Very nice razor. I too was curious about the difference of a SB, so I bought a SB off the BST. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the SB. Both shave really well, but I am getting tired of the feel of teeth on my face with open combs. SBs are so smooth.

I bought my brass Karve with a B OC plate. Very nice razor. I too was curious about the difference of a SB, so I bought a SB off the BST. If I could only keep one, I'd keep the SB. Both shave really well, but I am getting tired of the feel of teeth on my face with open combs. SBs are so smooth.
I think just put into words what I meant above when I said the Karve OC didn't feel right. I think it is the feel of the teeth
I have quite a few OC razors and pretty much prefer them. But with the Karve the tooth feel is annoying. I've never experienced that with Gillette NEW razors, for example. With Karve I would stick with the SB plates. Not that I'm knocking Karve. It is a wonderful razor.

I think just put into words what I meant above when I said the Karve OC didn't feel right. I think it is the feel of the teeth
I have quite a few OC razors and pretty much prefer them. But with the Karve the tooth feel is annoying. I've never experienced that with Gillette NEW razors, for example. With Karve I would stick with the SB plates. Not that I'm knocking Karve. It is a wonderful razor.

As someone who generally likes open combs, I agree with this sentiment.

Enjoy my Karve but the OC plate I have feels somewhat irritating compared to my Gillette Old Style. I much prefer the Gillette. I would like to try a Gillette New for comparison.

By the way, did you get your aluminum news in the recent Karve email. Delay. theyre looking for an anodized. Their year end email stated they were working on a faster turn around with more working lathe machines. I’m hoping that comes to the fore for those on the SS list.

Top Bottom