What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Curiosity has me asking you why you would buy an unfinished plain brass razor if you didn't want it to be patina'd at all and think that you wouldn't have to polish it once in a while? This will take those stains off it pretty easily though!!

First I want to thank everyone who has replied. The question above is a fair one, but honestly, I am not going to answer it at least not directly. Since I have Flitz I'm going to use it to remove the IMO ugly spots. Once that is done I am going to by some pantina solution so that I can control the patina process myself. I do like patina I just personally think those spots are unsightly! Matter of fact after watching an episode of "I'd Lather Be Shaving" on youtube I may also purchase some patina solution for nickel as well and patina gillette or two.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. Everyone's different but mine is the best razor I ever tried and owned, sold all my vintage collection and only kept this one. I have a game changer now but I use it maybe 10% of the time. The Karve is just "that" razor for me. I hope you learn to like yours.

I have a Karve. I've been using it about every other day for several months. Mine has developed a nice patina/darkening on the handle. No water spots. Do you wipe yours off after every use? I always do and maybe that's why mine hasn't done that?

My advice would be to polish the water spots clean with toothpaste or a polishing compound then to carefully wipe it off after each use. Takes about 5 , each day. It won't prevent patina (which I like) but it should prevent spotting.

I got a Karve a few weeks ago and so far am pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to care for. Prior to buying I had read some reviews about the “work” needed in maintaining one...the patina etc.

The only extra work involved so far has been to ensure I remove the blade from the razor after use, give the razor a good wipe down as well a pat dry the blade before putting it back in the Karve for the next shave.Admitately this is something I only do with the Karve, that is I don’t remove the blades after use with my other razors, I just rinse and wipe down.I only use a blade three times then toss. The Karve is the only Brass razor I own and removal of the blade after use is I feel essential if you want to avoid some rusting and uneven patina.

So far my Karve still looks good, slight darkening of the handle but thankfully no water stains.But your right Tom, those water spots are unsightly and if they develop on my Karve I would use some toothpaste and polish them off!.

Personally I don’t mind the extra few minutes of work connected with the Karve, for what is such a fantastic razor.

I don't have a Karve razor. However, with all my other razors after I rinse the razor with the blade in it, I dip it in rubbing alcohol to displace any water. Have any of you Karve owners tried the alcohol dip?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Curiosity has me asking you why you would buy an unfinished plain brass razor if you didn't want it to be patina'd at all and think that you wouldn't have to polish it once in a while? This will take those stains off it pretty easily though!!
proxy.php
im going to try this on my timeless bronze the karve has been on my short list for a while now. I dont like patina but just wipe dry my timeless and its been fine.
what is patina solution?

I don't have a Karve razor. However, with all my other razors after I rinse the razor with the blade in it, I dip it in rubbing alcohol to displace any water. Have any of you Karve owners tried the alcohol dip?
First I heard of this thanks!

Try MAAS. I find it's magical. I believe that leaves a coating on metal that seems to keep it shiny. For what it's worth, I find MAAS to be vastly preferable to Flitz.

As mentioned I used Flitz because it is what I have. I'll likely buy some MAAS because I know it's better for gold. I then used the Ammonia Method age the Karve Razor. I really like how it turned out and I will take pictures if I remember or have time this evening.

I can’t decide on which handle length - 3” or 3.5”. I currently use and am comfortable with my Muhle R89, which has a handle length of about 3.25”.

Mmmm, it's radio silence again! Trying to ask shipping status and if I can still get a plate change but incommunicado lol.

To be honest I'm not even excited anymore about getting the razor as I'm so disappointed in the complete lack of service especially taking into account the lead time.

In hindsight I would have looked elsewhere.

It is disappointing.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Have any of you Karve owners tried the alcohol dip?

Every single time I use it! I do the alcohol dip with all my razors & it works like a charm. Concerning the Karve @ackvil, it has really taken care of any water spots that might have developed uneven or unsightly patina spots. Instead, it has kept it nice & even is sure taking a long time to develop only a slightly darker shade than the original finish.
2018-09-24 21.30.51.jpg

I can’t decide on which handle length - 3” or 3.5”. I currently use and am comfortable with my Muhle R89, which has a handle length of about 3.25”.
I also use a R89 and I picked 3". With the mass of brass 3.5" would be too heavy. 3" doesn't feel too short. 3.25" would be great for sure.

For those with coarse and dense beards who shave daily with ATG passes, what plate would you recommend?
I don't have s coarse beard but I am an everyday ATG shaver I found plate C to be optimum for me. Highly efficient yet very safe and smooth. Maybe you can choose plate D if you usually prefer slightly more aggressive razors than a Merkur 34C.

I also use a R89 and I picked 3". With the mass of brass 3.5" would be too heavy. 3" doesn't feel too short. 3.25" would be great for sure.

I don't have s coarse beard but I am an everyday ATG shaver I found plate C to be optimum for me. Highly efficient yet very safe and smooth. Maybe you can choose plate D if you usually prefer slightly more aggressive razors than a Merkur 34C.

@Lego I've only used the 3" handle. However, I read reviews were people were trading their 3.5" handle for a 3" handle as they felt (like @Seckin Bodur mentioned) that the weight of the 3.5" handle put the razor out of balance. I like short handles and those reviews were enough to sway me to the 3 inch.

However, I do have a 3.5" handle on order for my uncle as a Christmas present. I haven't received it yet. He wanted to go for the middle option. I guess I might be able to compare in the future, but most of the reviews I've read who had tried multiple preferred the smaller. However, as always YMMV and I'm sure some prefer longer handles and find the 3.5" or even the 4" handle perfect.

Top Bottom