What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mmmm, it's radio silence again! Trying to ask shipping status and if I can still get a plate change but incommunicado lol.

To be honest I'm not even excited anymore about getting the razor as I'm so disappointed in the complete lack of service especially taking into account the lead time.

In hindsight I would have looked elsewhere.

ThatIt is disappointing.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I know how you feel, I was in the same boat. I went so far as to send an email stating that if he wasn’t going to ship my razor within the stated time frame to cancel my order, got my shipping notice the next day. It is a very nice razor, shaves wonderfully, service sucks though.

I don't have s coarse beard but I am an everyday ATG shaver I found plate C to be optimum for me. Highly efficient yet very safe and smooth. Maybe you can choose plate D if you usually prefer slightly more aggressive razors than a Merkur 34C.
I'm going to pickup 2 plates, D + either E of F, can't decide. Some people here said that E and F are very similar, so I'm leaning towards D + F.

I put in my order weeks ago, short handle and three plates. One guy, significant demand for razors, no doubt overwhelming demand for order tweaks given the plate and handle choices, not to mention the random questions. I am happy to trust the man, let him make razors, and not criticize his priorities for his time. Meanwhile I do have a *few* other razors to shave with...

I saw Chris from Karve Shaving posted this on Face book yesterday, and I have copied it below. There are some photos on his original post. It is also on his Instant Gram page.
Polishing!!!
I been running an experiment for the last month...after each shave, I put my razor away clean, but wet. The patina came fast, as did corrosion on the underside of the cap from contact with the blade. I polished some of the cap’s top surface with Flitz (towards the bottom of the picture) and some with toothpaste (towards the top). I also polished the entire underside with Flitz. As you can see, Flitz worked well and this test clinches it...I’m going to start offering it. Toothpaste works too, but it takes longer and doesn’t make the brass shine as much (which is not necessarily a bad thing). @ Edmonton, Alberta​
Polished my stuff up today, all surfaces, using the Flitz I had onhand. Wow, shiny! And my first shave seemed to glide better than yesterday's. Could it be from the polishing? I did switch soaps so I will have to experiment by going back to yesterday's soap for tomorrow. Any others who polished note a glide difference? I never felt it drag until yesterday, which I originally figured was the soap, as I hadn't experienced issues like that. I had never polished the cap either.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I think the wait is worth it. It is about as close to perfect as a razor can be. Sometimes too much demand can be overwhelming for a small company. I would be inclined to cut them some slack and enjoy the amazing shaves when it arrives.

As mentioned I used Flitz because it is what I have. I'll likely buy some MAAS because I know it's better for gold. I then used the Ammonia Method age the Karve Razor. I really like how it turned out and I will take pictures if I remember or have time this evening.

What's the "Ammonia Method"? I would very much like to know and to see any pictures you might have of your Christopher Bradley.

Polished my stuff up today, all surfaces, using the Flitz I had onhand. Wow, shiny! And my first shave seemed to glide better than yesterday's. Could it be from the polishing? I did switch soaps so I will have to experiment by going back to yesterday's soap for tomorrow. Any others who polished note a glide difference? I never felt it drag until yesterday, which I originally figured was the soap, as I hadn't experienced issues like that. I had never polished the cap either.

Picture Pls Eric?! @MaineYooper

If anyone is interested there is a Karve for sale on the bst. If I didn't have one on the way right now I would buy it.

Yes the wait is worth it.

It took me over 3 months to get my razor...so find another razor to amuse you in the mean time and when you do get it and hold it in your hand you'll go hell yea!:302:

The the "Ammonia Method" is pretty simple you put about an inch of clear Ammonia in the bottom of a sealable container then either place the item you want to age/patina on a plat that keeps it above the Ammonia or suspend somehow above the Ammonia then seal the container leave the item(s) in the container for a couple hours take the items out check if you like the results or if the patina is dark enough. If it's not dark enough you put it back in the same way as before for another hour or two.

Additionally, you can dip the razor in salt heavy water then dry with a hair dryer before the process above. This apparently allows the green oxidation to also develop on the razor if you want that effect. I've also read that heating the brass with a hair dryer helps the oxidation process some.

I had a container that I drilled holes in the lid of and suspended the razor via heavy gauge wire I made hooks from. Then I placed some duct tape over the lid so to keep everything airtight. I placed the razor in which I had taken apart and suspended all three parts above the Ammonia. I did not heat the parts with a hair dryer do the saltwater dip for the first two hours and when I took everything out I liked the results but I was curious what would happen if I now did the saltwater dip and drying and heating with a hairdryer so I did that resealed the parts suspended in the container for another hour. I really like the results and the top cap had a small spot of green on it which I liked.

By the way, I forgot one thing in order to stop the oxidation process after removing the parts from the container you rinse everything in cold water. Which I did each time I removed the parts.

I'm going to be busy after I get home from work this evening but if I can squeeze in taking some pics I will post some pictures of my razor now that it is how I want to keep it.

Top Bottom