What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone notice this in the facebook comments?

View attachment 975736
So the exposed tabs are staying in the SS version

I actually don’t mind the exposed tabs at all.

The photos Chris put on Instagram show a matte/ brushed SS razor.
When he first talked about the stainless steel razor during a Reddit AMA session last year, he said he was planning to release both a matte and a polished version.
But I wonder whether he’ll be able to release both at the same time, or whether he’ll just focus on the matte version initially.... he didn’t answer when asked about it on Instagram...

Just don't expect the polished version to be fully polished because that isn't going to happen since it isn't cost-effective (he mentioned that in his AMA months ago). I'll quote him:

"Also, the polished version is not going to be a simple hit it with a buffing wheel and go...I want to retain the crisp edges from machining, so I'm looking at draw polish techniques. A great example is here - Leica polishes their camera bodies carefully and it shows...all of the original geometry is still there. Unfortunately, it's not completely feasible to polish every nook and cranny and keep things cost effective (the inside of the camera body is barely touch, if at all).

SO...the matte version is going to be 100% bead blasted and the polished version is going to have polished portions and matte portions. The outside of the top cap, the top of the baseplate, and the handle will all likely be polished."

Just don't expect the polished version to be fully polished because that isn't going to happen since it isn't cost-effective (he mentioned that in his AMA months ago). I'll quote him:

"Also, the polished version is not going to be a simple hit it with a buffing wheel and go...I want to retain the crisp edges from machining, so I'm looking at draw polish techniques. A great example is here - Leica polishes their camera bodies carefully and it shows...all of the original geometry is still there. Unfortunately, it's not completely feasible to polish every nook and cranny and keep things cost effective (the inside of the camera body is barely touch, if at all).

SO...the matte version is going to be 100% bead blasted and the polished version is going to have polished portions and matte portions. The outside of the top cap, the top of the baseplate, and the handle will all likely be polished."
Disregarding the comment on cost, there is some thought and contemplation there. Sure, it's cheaper to not do every little piece, but he's done / doing some research and found an example of how it's seems to create a unique (maybe quality, maybe sophisticated?) look.

I'm super excited to see how the polished version turns out. If done right (which I assume he's aiming for) it won't look like cost cutting, it'll look like art. [emoji106]

Yes, I know, I remember that.
I think I’d still prefer the (partially..) polished one. But it obviously depends on how it’s going to look, and the final price difference between the two...

My initial comment was more to do with the fact that he might end up releasing just the matte one first.
In which case, depending on how long of a delay before the polished one becomes available as well, I wonder if I’ll be able to “resist” not purchasing the matte version... :)
Especially if he doesn’t communicate if/ when the polished SS will be released.

Last edited:
I actually don’t mind the exposed tabs at all.

I agree and like the look but not everyone feels the same way.

I'm sure the polished razor (or at least partially polished) will be delayed further still but who knows. I think the bead blasted matte look is good but I do have a Tatara which is finished like that.

The first aluminum Karve.

proxy.php

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the Brass or a Stainless (to come) models better. YMMV

No, no just you.
I have the brass one, and will be getting the SS when available, but not particularly interested in aluminium (or aluminum... depending on which side of the pond you’re on... :)).
I think it would be way too light for my liking, almost toylike... although I admit I’ve never tried one.
But, as you said... YMMV... I’m sure there are lots of people (including on this forum) who will love it.

I agree and like the look but not everyone feels the same way.

I'm sure the polished razor (or at least partially polished) will be delayed further still but who knows. I think the bead blasted matte look is good but I do have a Tatara which is finished like that.

Do you have a Karve CB as well?
How does the Tatara Masamune compare to the Karve, in terms of smoothness?
And which Karve plate has similar aggressiveness/ efficiency, in your experience?
Thanks!

Do you have a Karve CB as well?
How does the Tatara Masamune compare to the Karve, in terms of smoothness?
And which Karve plate has similar aggressiveness/ efficiency, in your experience?
Thanks!

No sorry, have been holding out for the SS version. The Tatara is very smooth but have no real experience of using a Karve but believe others on this forum have both.

A Karve update

Eleven months ago, a Christopher Bradley razor arrived in the mail. In a short time, it became my preferred razor, with the B and C SB plates being the best for me. This past March, the open comb plates hit the market, and an A plate as well as the 3.25 inch handle were added. Yesterday, a B OC plate arrived.

The best shaves ever! And I like the 3" handle for the SB plates, and the 3.25" for the OC plates.

On top of that, I have had great experience with the owner, resolving an issue and making sure that I was happy. The last purchase went missing. I contacted USPS, but no luck. I contacted Chris and within a day or two the missing package was found and arrived shortly thereafter.

The bottom line is that this really is the best razor for me. And almost one year in and I am still enjoying my morning shave and not bored or wanting to try something else. I admit that I wondered if I could be satisfied with not trying other things, but so far, I am content to experiment with blades and enjoy the brushes and soaps that I already have.

Now that I have said that, I fear that I have tempted fate or Murphy!

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

FYI, there's a new banner box on his website from FedEx. I guess Chris is entered into a contest to win a small business grant from FedEx (Canada?). People can vote for him to win (I believe) $30,000?

His razors, his business ethic, etc. are all great. He gets my vote for sure. [emoji16]

FYI, there's a new banner box on his website from FedEx. I guess Chris is entered into a contest to win a small business grant from FedEx (Canada?). People can vote for him to win (I believe) $30,000?

His razors, his business ethic, etc. are all great. He gets my vote for sure. [emoji16]

Agreed, voted as well, hope he does win it.
Talented hardworking guy, and great products.
There were some issues last year, when I guess he was surprised by the success of his razor, and overwhelmed by the number of orders, and therefore there were quite long delays and communication was far from ideal.
But he’s listened to feedback and learned from it. I believe he now has a few people working with him, so he’s reinvested some of the money, and his business has grown and improved rapidly.

PS Strangely, it looks like the rules allow one person to vote once every 24 hours until the deadline, if they wanted to give him several votes....

Top Bottom