Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Got the Open Comb C and D plates yesterday. Shaved with the C open comb this morning. Very nice! A lot more blade feel than the solid bar. Quite a bit more aggressive than the C solid bar plate as well. For reference I have the B, C, D and E solid bar plates. Been using the C and D mostly. D has been the pick for the last half dozen or so uses. So the C open comb is quite a bit more aggressive feeling to me than even the D solid bar. But still a smooth and super close shave. Love it.

Just to be awkward... My ideal OC would be a copy of the Fatip (narrow teeth [and plenty of them] that guide the whiskers [not just press half of them down], and the cap clamping directly onto the teeth on the baseplate [no gap]) but with the standard Karve short (flush with the baseplate) and accurate locating pins. :001_smile :001_tt2:

There's a way... Cal,

Ahem,... A Machine shop

You'll need a small brass tube that has the inner diameter that of the cap post and the outer diameter that of the plate's holes.

That needs to be soldered/welded to the posts, followed by post trimming and gentle chamfering of the edges so the plate holes glide in smoothly and accurately.

Tada $50 bucks please lol!

Another alternative... Spacers.
Newbie with RAD
The gap is just 0.4mm so it's going to be a pain to machine a tube that thin, if you're lucky a plastic straw or heat shrink tubing might fit exactly over the posts and is just thick enough to make it fit better lol.

Last edited:
There's a way... Cal
Thank you for replying mawashi. :001_smile
Another alternative... Spacers.
Newbie with RAD
:laugh: That is completely OTT. I replied to it here.

My main Karve dislike is the monster thick teeth, which rather than working like an open comb seems to me more 50/50 OC/SB. To me, an OC should align the whiskers ready for cutting... not flatten half of them. (My whiskers are coarse, but not yard broom coarse.)

Thank you for replying mawashi. :001_smile

:laugh: That is completely OTT. I replied to it here.

My main Karve dislike is the monster thick teeth, which rather than working like an open comb seems to me more 50/50 OC/SB. To me, an OC should align the whiskers ready for cutting... not flatten half of them. (My whiskers are coarse, but not yard broom coarse.)

Hi Cal,

Tell me about it lol. They're not teeth more like tusks!
I've repeatedly said that the Piccolo and NSC are some of the best OC plates ever, the teeth are smooth, rounded and perfectly spaced.

The Schone OC wasn't an improvement imo so I'm not sure why Karve went for such wide teeth cept in the interest of time as its a real pain to machine that many thin teeth.

However much I winge about the teeth or weight etc, etc, the Karve shaves amazingly well. It gives me the the best shave amongst the modern razors I own or borrowed so my complaints seem to be immaterial lol.

Happy shaves to you too!

While I, too, would be interested in seeing thinner teeth/wider gaps, I am wondering if there is also the factor of "delicacy" coming into play. Those thinner teeth are more likely to bend on impact (if the razor is dropped), or worse. And, while I realize this is not the manufacturer's problem, it could impact sales if it were to happen a few times.

Yes n no as brass is pretty tough. However things can happen. That's the reason why the outer teeth are thicker. But it is a possible reason.

Accidents do happen and its ok as the replacement plate is just $30 surely that's not that big a deal.

Imo the plate needs thinner and shorter teeth. The NSC works super and is better than a NLC so I'm not sure why the teeth need to be that thick. .

Shorter teeth would allow the blade to get closer and give you a wider range of cutting angles. Plus shorter teeth are less prone to bending upon impact.

The Gillette news have teeth that measure 0.1mm and 7.6 mm outer teeth. while the Karve OC 0.71mm for all.
Imo a 2 or 2.5mm thick inner teeth and 8 - 8.5mm outer teeth should be tough enough to handle most drops.

The caveat here is its my non expert non professional opinion lol!

I still love my Karve though!

IMO the plate needs thinner and shorter teeth. The NSC works super and is better than a NLC so I'm not sure why the teeth need to be that thick. .
Thinner agreed, shorter maybe (New SCs are definitely superior to New LCs), and deeper like my beloved Fatips.
IMO of course. :wink2:
The Gillette news have teeth that measure 0.1mm and 7.6 mm outer teeth. while the Karve OC 0.71mm for all.
Imo a 2 or 2.5mm thick inner teeth and 8 - 8.5mm outer teeth should be tough enough to handle most drops.
I suspect you misplaced a decimal point there mawashi. I'm all for slim teeth, but the same thickness as a DE razor blade is maybe taking it a bit too far. :laugh:

IMO the Fatip OC teeth dimensions are perfect (height, width, and depth). Here's an old sketch of mine:
upload_2019-4-17_20-7-25.png

And an old Mk1 (with the 18mm wide cap) showing this to perfection:
upload_2019-4-17_20-10-11.png

Then moving on to today's Mk2 (with the 19mm wide cap), my favorite DE razor:
upload_2019-4-17_20-29-33.png
:001_wub:

Close up detail (loaded):
upload_2019-4-17_20-31-25.png

Considering this is the Karve thread, I guess I've said far too much already. Derailment wasn't my intention.

I'll shut up and go sit in my corner now. :blushing: :letterk1: :laugh:

Thinner agreed, shorter maybe (New SCs are definitely superior to New LCs), and deeper like my beloved Fatips.
IMO of course. :wink2:

I suspect you misplaced a decimal point there mawashi. I'm all for slim teeth, but the same thickness as a DE razor blade is maybe taking it a bit too far. :laugh:

IMO the Fatip OC teeth dimensions are perfect (height, width, and depth). Here's an old sketch of mine:
View attachment 973193

And an old Mk1 (with the 18mm wide cap) showing this to perfection:
View attachment 973195

Then moving on to today's Mk2 (with the 19mm wide cap), my favorite DE razor:
View attachment 973201 :001_wub:

Close up detail (loaded):
View attachment 973202

Considering this is the Karve thread, I guess I've said far too much already. Derailment wasn't my intention.

I'll shut up and go sit in my corner now. :blushing: :letterk1: :laugh:

Oops on the measurements yes it's 1mm thick for the NSC lol.

I'm in total agreement w you for thinner teeth. I bet Rosseforp will get a kick out of those measurement then he'll one or 10 up you w measurements to the exact micron lol!

I'll go back to my NSC corner too then rofl!

Cheers,

Mawashi

Chris showed a prototype of the stainless steel karve on his instagram. A guy asked when it would be available for purchase and this is what Chris had to say about it:

"I’d really like to get production rolling mid May and have the first release late May"

Top Bottom