What's new

Kais Are SHARP

But we don't use cartridges. Almost everyone here wanted to get away from cartridges, with the extremely high price being a major factor. Look, if someone wants to use Kai blades because they don't mind paying the premium and enjoy the shave they give, that's great. Comparing them to cartridges is not really valid at all. JMO.

Not valid, even though as you said, "everyone here wanted to get away from cartridges, with the extremely high price being a major factor?" Seriously? Kai blades are about a dime more costly than other blades, and some of those other blades are pure junk.

Paying the premium? Compared to what, a $200 razor, $20 soaps and creams, and who knows how much for all the pre- and post-shave concoctions?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
YMMV

For me, KAI blades are both sharper and smoother than Feathers. I suspect TexLaw would not agree with me. At the end of the day, I love KAI blades and am happy to pay a few pennies more for them. Feathers? Not so much.

And that's why the world has both. :thumbup1:

I tried a KAI blade for the first time this morning and really liked it. Too early to tell for sure, but if the rest of the shaves go like the first one, I'd probably rank them as my second favorite blade, with the number one ranking still going to Personna Israeli Reds.

In my opinion the Kai is almost as sharp as a Feather, but smoother. If I use Kai in my Mühle r41 or Tradere SB I can use an after shave lotion without any problems. If I use a Feather in these razors, I use an after shave balm without alcohol. Any alcohol based after shave burns.

These blades are also more consistent. They are sharp from first to the last shave. With a Feather I only have two or three good shaves. They lose their sharpness very fast.
I tried them for the first time about three or four years ago. I think I paid about 20,- euros including shippment for ten blades (I ordered them in Japan). Now they are much cheaper and one of my top 5 blades.

KAI are in my opinion the best blade on the market. Sharp and smooth, on par with feather. Love that they don't have globs of wax on the blade. Less cleaning razor time. Also they are the same company that make my favorite knifes. Kershaw, Shun and Zero Tolerance

Just bought a pack of Kai's while at West Coast Shaving. Talk about a kid in a candy store!!! I really had to restrain myself...

I like Kai's better than Feathers too. I do feel like they are slightly thicker than other DE blades...probably resulting in a higher mfg cost.

Can't wait to try them in my Rockwell 6S!

I'm a big fan of Kai blades. Very sharp, a bit smoother than Feathers, consistent shavers from blade to blade, day 1 to day 5 or 6. I also like that they have no sticky wax spots on them and no printing on the blade. Sleek, utilitarian looking. In a mild razor they are fantastic performers. They do tend to leave my face feeling "zingier" after a shave, which may be what the OP is referring to.

It may be just my perception, but Kai's feel a bit "thicker" than other blades. There's no way for me to confirm this, but they feel sturdier when I tighten down my EJ or Tech handle after loading a new one in. Just an impression that I get from them.

I also suspect that they ARE thicker....

I palm strop my blades between shaves and they don't bend nearly

as much as the other ones do during the stropping.

Just bought a pack of Kai's while at West Coast Shaving. Talk about a kid in a candy store!!! I really had to restrain myself...

I like Kai's better than Feathers too. I do feel like they are slightly thicker than other DE blades...probably resulting in a higher mfg cost.

Can't wait to try them in my Rockwell 6S!
Both Kais and Feathers are 0.1mm (0.004") thick (the DE blade standard).

(Several of us detail freaks here at B&B have measured them with our calipers and/or micrometers.)

As for the different "feel," that could be caused by the manufacturing process, the steel itself, or both. I don't know.

Top Bottom