What's new

Just the facts. First Fountain Pen, for a street cop.

Avoid the Safari (ugly), Cross (meh, but the ATX is a nice pen), and Sonnet (junk, imo). The Waterman Hemisphere, Kaweco Sport, and Sheaffer are all great options. The Hemisphere is a very durable pen and is a good writer. I would expect the same of the Sheaffer. The Sport is an excellent writer, sized perfectly for storing in a pants pocket, and quite sturdy. It's not as tough as the Hemisphere's all metal construction.

-Andy

The Parker Frontier doesn't get much press, but the one I had then gave to my sister was a great little writer. It's sturdy enough and the rubberized grip is nice. Just another option to consider.

-Andy

I found a Waterman Hemisphere, medium nib, chrome trim today for 41.23 shipped and went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Comes in under my price point and it is shipped from a domestic seller. Should be here in a few days. Ordered a converter with it as well and I am two or three bucks shy of my fifty dollar cut off point.

I couldn't find a negative review of this pen no matter how hard I tried. I had been watching them on the net and most were in the 70 dollar range. I feel like this is a pretty good deal on a Waterman and love the way this pen looks.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice. I look forward to starting yet another addiction to add to the vintage Gillettes, the pocket knives, the antique cast iron cookware, the firearms, the hand tools, the........well, you get the idea.

Regards. :thumbup1:

I notice that Cross fountain pens aren't mentioned much. I like the Medalist but from what I have read, Cross quality is not what it used to be. Can anyone confirm that?

I did see that the Sheaffers (100 and Prelude) are both manufactured in China. I can't find where the Waterman is made and assume France.

Most pens quality are not what they use to be. Even the Mont Blanc is not what they use to be back in the '50s and '60s. However Cross is a great pen with excellent customer service. I find their quality still very high. Although it is out of your price range a Pilot Vanishing Point would probably be more practical since you can use it with one hand. The pen that would be perfect for you would be the Pilot M90, a one piece stainless steel pen but it is currently running about $450 on Ebay although the original price was only $165. Here is a link where you can see what it looks like.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-M90-Stainless-Steel-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Limited-Edition/pd/4646

Last edited:
The pen that would be perfect for you would be the Pilot M90, a one piece stainless steel pen but it is currently running about $450 on Ebay although the original price was only $165. Here is a link where you can see what it looks like.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-M90-Stainless-Steel-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Limited-Edition/pd/4646

450.00......I'll take four. lol

If I bought a four hundred dollar pen, I'd have it for about three days and lose it in the first foot pursuit I initiated. Plus, my wife would show her displeasure in certain ways that would make me regret the purchase for the rest of my days.

The Waterman it is. Now, to select an ink. Noodler's Bulletproof black is in the lead.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Waterman it is. Now, to select an ink. Noodler's Bulletproof black is in the lead.

You may want to try a bunch of samples from the Goulets ... http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Sample_Packages_by_Color_s/979.htm

I'm a big fountain pen user and an accident investigator for a Provincial enforcement agency so my needs are similar to yours. Unfortunately I've yet to find an adequate ink pen combo for use at work. The problem starts with the notebooks that we use are pretty crappy paper, so most inks bleed through, those that don't bleed through don't dry fast enough, there are inks that will out last anything we need and are non-tamper proof so thats not a problem. I've tried dozens of inks and pens but no luck so far. I've come very close if you take notes writing in cursive you don't nearly get the bleed through that you get with printing (starts and stops tend to put down more ink).

Have you tried Diamine Registrar's Ink? I've just started using it, and it seems pretty good for those properties you seek.

You may want to try a bunch of samples from the Goulets ... http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Sample_Packages_by_Color_s/979.htm

Have you tried Diamine Registrar's Ink? I've just started using it, and it seems pretty good for those properties you seek.

^

I'm falling out of favor with Noodler's inks. They're fun, and look great, but the nib creep is driving me up the wall. And this Liberty's Elysium is lasting FOREVER in my Esterbrook double J. Don't want to waste it and flush, but I can't wait to try my new blue from Papier Plume.

+1 to the iron-gall ink suggestion. They are great performers even the shoddiest of paper. Diamine Registrar's Ink is easy to find. Salix by R&K is another great choice and easy to find.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Salix by R&K is another great choice and easy to find.

I just received a bottle of R&K Scabiosa ... another of their iron gall inks ... do you know if it's any different in performance from Salix?

I just received a bottle of R&K Scabiosa ... another of their iron gall inks ... do you know if it's any different in performance from Salix?

Salix and Scabiosa both perform quite well. I actually prefer the Scabiosa but the Salix is a better rec for offical business.

I may be asking for a bit much out of an ink but I need it beyond black in color, fast drying, good flowing, and safe for official documents.

The Noodler's bad black moccasin has piqued my interest but I will check some of the aforementioned inks.

I'm willing to sacrifice fast drying for blackness. I am used to a felt Papermate Flair and that is the kind of blackness I am looking for.

Any ink suggestions are welcomed. I won't be ordering ink until the weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I'm still a fan of Noodler's Black. I've never had an issue with it, it works well in every pen I've tried it in, it works great on crappy paper, the drying time is reasonable, and as advertised, it's bulletproof as far as permanency. You'll destroy the paper before you can remove the ink.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Salix and Scabiosa both perform quite well. I actually prefer the Scabiosa but the Salix is a better rec for offical business.

thanks ... good to know.

I may be asking for a bit much out of an ink but I need it beyond black in color, fast drying, good flowing, and safe for official documents.

The Noodler's bad black moccasin has piqued my interest but I will check some of the aforementioned inks.

I'm willing to sacrifice fast drying for blackness. I am used to a felt Papermate Flair and that is the kind of blackness I am looking for.

Any ink suggestions are welcomed. I won't be ordering ink until the weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

One of the Noodler's blacks will do well for you. Plain old 'black' is a great option, and totally waterproof. IMHO the drying time is a bit slow, but you will like the blackness.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The blackest black I have seen is Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. It has a 7 sec dry time out of a medium nib- should be less out of a fine.

The blackest black I have seen is Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. It has a 7 sec dry time out of a medium nib- should be less out of a fine.

Ooh, I quite like that ink as far as the reviews are concerned. Seven second dry time is just right.

My reports have to be signed by the victims or complainants and I'd need my writing to be dry by the time I hand the clip board over to them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom