What's new

Just the facts. First Fountain Pen, for a street cop.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a Prelude. If you like writing with the cap posted it can be painful. Somehow, on mine anyway, the cap works its way loose quickly.

I notice that Cross fountain pens aren't mentioned much. I like the Medalist but from what I have read, Cross quality is not what it used to be. Can anyone confirm that?

I have a cross pen that I like a lot... one of the most "comfortable" pens I have in my limited collection... however, I wouldn't really consider it a pen that I would want to carry around on an active job.

I like the recommendation for the B&B pen. It's heavy, has a twist on cap and seems to be built like a tank. That said, most vintage pens will hold up fine. I went through a PPCT instructor course and EMT training wearing a Parker 51 and it's none the worse for wear. An Esterbrook "J" series is a cheaper alternative and I've never had a leak.

That said if you're only using it for reporting writing and such, why not just leave it in the duty bag or clipboard until it needs to be used. A ballpoint is generally the better tool for being in the thick of things.

I like the recommendation for the B&B pen. It's heavy, has a twist on cap and seems to be built like a tank. That said, most vintage pens will hold up fine. I went through a PPCT instructor course and EMT training wearing a Parker 51 and it's none the worse for wear. An Esterbrook "J" series is a cheaper alternative and I've never had a leak.

That said if you're only using it for reporting writing and such, why not just leave it in the duty bag or clipboard until it needs to be used. A ballpoint is generally the better tool for being in the thick of things.

I too like the B&B pen, but it is very top heavy when posted. It is a fine writer, and heavy duty. I have two of them.

It's not being produced anymore, unfortunately, but there is only one pen for a street cop, I think :wink2:

The original Rotring 600:

proxy.php

(picture not made by me!)

Another sturdy pen (but not in the same league) may be the Parker IM.

I dropped one of my beloved Esterbrook "J" pens on concrete the other day, it landed right on the nib, and bent the hell out of it. It still wrote, but I took some small needle-nose pliers, carefully un-bent it, and it writes just as good as ever. Scared the heck out of me.
So, having said that, don't discount a vintage pen...
regards,
Bil

One other thing: the guy probably needs a relatively stiff nib to deal with filling out forms in triplicate with carbonless forms. Plus it needs to be broad enough to not rip the potentially thin paper of those forms. What, a medium nib? Would put out too much ink? Just some thoughts...

I'll have to take a closer look at the B&B pen. It appears to be the model 27 and I do like the silver chrome pinstripe model.

I have mulled over just leaving the pen in my Saunders clipboard but I do carry three different clipboards in my car. There is only one of them that would be suitable for carrying a fountain pen.

I think the Waterman may be out if it is that soft. It's pretty though.....but durability will probably have to come first.

The Sheaffer Prelude and the cap posting working loose during writing is a concern.....might have to cross that one off as well.

And I am not opposed to vintage and will have to look at a Parker 51.

Thanks again. All the responses have been helpful and will assist me in making a somewhat educated decision.

Last edited:
Note that if you have reasonably large hands, the B&B pen might disappoint. It's cap-heavy posted, and without the cap it's short. Plus the part where you're to put your fingers is rather narrow, as it curves inwards right there. Just be aware.

I'll have to take a closer look at the B&B pen. It appears to be the model 27 and I do like the silver chrome pinstripe model.

I have mulled over just leaving the pen in my Saunders clipboard but I do carry three different clipboards in my car. There is only one of them that would be suitable for carrying a fountain pen.

I think the Waterman may be out if it is that soft. It's pretty though.....but durability will probably have to come first.

The Sheaffer Prelude and the cap posting working loose during writing is a concern.....might have to cross that one off as well.

Thanks again. All the responses have been helpful and will assist me in making a somewhat educated decision.

Sounds to me like you need 3 pens! :w00t:

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in with this suggestion.

You could also look at a Sheaffer's Snorkel or Touchdown pen. My Touchdown craftsman ($3.00 at a flea market) has a metal cap. I've dropped it a few times, and have never had an issue. The TD filling system is a breeze to use... very little fuss. If you have very large hands, I imagine it would write well posted. I prefer to write unposted, but I have smaller hands.

Sounds to me like you need 3 pens! :w00t:

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in with this suggestion.

You could also look at a Sheaffer's Snorkel or Touchdown pen. My Touchdown craftsman ($3.00 at a flea market) has a metal cap. I've dropped it a few times, and have never had an issue. The TD filling system is a breeze to use... very little fuss. If you have very large hands, I imagine it would write well posted. I prefer to write unposted, but I have smaller hands.

Need three pens? I need to quit spending money.

I think the internet was developed just to get me to spend more money.

I am going to have to write posted as most of the action as far as report writing will be behind the wheel of a Crown Vic.

This Prelude is talking to me now. Chrome on brass. Comes with converter......I may just have to live with fishing the cap out from underneath the driver's seat if the cap popping off while posted. Looks to be a bit thicker than the Waterman so hopefully can take a ding or two. Made in China is not that appealing to me but I guess that is to be expected at this price point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Pr...910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338127fa2e

Need three pens? I need to quit spending money.
Now that's not really the kind of attitude we condone here. :001_rolle

This Prelude is talking to me now. Chrome on brass. Comes with converter......I may just have to live with fishing the cap out from underneath the driver's seat if the cap popping off while posted. Looks to be a bit thicker than the Waterman so hopefully can take a ding or two. Made in China is not that appealing to me but I guess that is to be expected at this price point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Pr...910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338127fa2e

Good luck with whatever you choose. And THANKS for your service to your community!

Hmmm I'd suggest that whatever pen you end up with, the feature of a twist on cap should be on the top of your list. Having the cap pop off when your running around and end up leaving stains on you seems like a pretty good possibility if its being kept in a pocket somewhere.

Hmmm I'd suggest that whatever pen you end up with, the feature of a twist on cap should be on the top of your list. Having the cap pop off when your running around and end up leaving stains on you seems like a pretty good possibility if its being kept in a pocket somewhere.

That is an excellent point and I see that the Prelude does have a twist on cap.

I'll sleep on it a day or two more and then place an order. Thanks again, guys. I have learned much from this thread as well as lurking the other threads.

I'm a big fountain pen user and an accident investigator for a Provincial enforcement agency so my needs are similar to yours. Unfortunately I've yet to find an adequate ink pen combo for use at work. The problem starts with the notebooks that we use are pretty crappy paper, so most inks bleed through, those that don't bleed through don't dry fast enough, there are inks that will out last anything we need and are non-tamper proof so thats not a problem. I've tried dozens of inks and pens but no luck so far. I've come very close if you take notes writing in cursive you don't nearly get the bleed through that you get with printing (starts and stops tend to put down more ink).

I do like the Pilot Vanishing Points or Decimos, they are clickies so no cap to worry about. I like fine nibs and being as Pilots are Japanese the fine nibs are truly fine nibs, they tend to be a drier writer which also helps with bleed through.

Last edited:
only 1 answer... Hooded nib, like a nail....... slip off cap..... Youse all know my recommendation

and for real class "the flighter"....

full

Last edited by a moderator:
my parker 51 is my favourite work pen bar none, ill +1 Brians post

though I dont own a flighter, cause Brian hogs them all

Top Bottom