What's new

Just ordered my first Simpson!

I was just looking at that! The M7 handle is too small for me…perhaps because I’m still (relatively) new. But the Polo 8 looks perfect. Thanks!
The M7 is too small? I would consider it one of the larger Simpson handle for sure. Almost as big as the Polo 8.

Here are a few of my Simpsons for size reference…

BFE125C9-2F99-4B4A-B1A5-78DD85106E64.jpeg

The M7 is a little smaller (and a little more expensive) than the PL8. Is there any reason to choose the M7 over the PL8?
The Polo 8 has a bigger knot. It might not have enough backbone for everyone. I like both but prefer the M7.

The Polo 8 is a bigger brush for sure though.

The Polo 8 has a bigger knot. It might not have enough backbone for everyone. I like both but prefer the M7.

The Polo 8 is a bigger brush for sure though.
Thanks for the comparison. I forgot about backbone. I like a soft brush 🐇...but one with backbone 💪!

How much softer is the Super than the Manchurian...and how much less backbone?

Here we go. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. I don't know of anyone that has just one Simpson.

I had one and only one Simpson for sometime, actually longer then a year, it wasn't until the T1 came out that I decided to give their synthetic a try. Glad I did, now to date I only own just two Simpson's, but hey at least I'm an owner.

Reactions: jmd
Woah, woah, slow the free fall! You haven't even tried the brush he just ordered yet. You needs to try it out as a basis for asking questions, if you wants bore backbone or less.

Who am I kidding, buy them all and BST the ones that you don't like :ihih:

that was quick :)
I did shave with mine today and it felt better than my first attempts when I was only bowl lathering.

View attachment 1363555
How would you compare the 3 hair types...Best, Super, and Manchurian? Which is your favorite? Thanks.
Also, I'm (currently) only interested in the Captain 2. I was wondering in a large brush like this whether the Super would be too soft, floppy...not enough backbone. I doubt I will be doing any face-lathering.

How would you compare the 3 hair types...Best, Super, and Manchurian? Which is your favorite? Thanks.
Also, I'm (currently) only interested in the Captain 2. I was wondering in a large brush like this whether the Super would be too soft, floppy...not enough backbone. I doubt I will be doing any face-lathering.
If you build your lather in a bowl and just paint it on then I don‘t see much reason to buy a super expensive hair grade.

I was unhappy with my Captain because of its lesser backbone and only minor scrub also working with it in the bowl I always had the impression that my hand was too far back and that it might slip. Today I loaded it from the tub and went to my face and that was much better. I have now also my fair share of scrubby and stiff brushes so the soft Best was a nice change of pace.

To be totally honest I believe you will get a better deal with a customized brush from Shavemac especially with a 2 Band. I think it’s right in the middle between Simpsons Silvertip and Manchurian and at a great price as well.

If you want an extreme brush with LOTS of backbone and scrub but no scritch then Shavemacs D01-2 Band is the right thing for you.

I can’t tell much difference between the X1 Silvertip and the Duke 3 Manchurian besides the difference in price. Without having tried Super yet I would say a Silvertip knot should cover all your bases without paying premium for Manchurian.

Last edited:
Can anyone compare 3 band super/2 band super/manchurian?
I find Simpson’s Manchurian is slightly stiffer than their Silvertip (2band) and the tips aren’t as soft. Manchurian has more backbone. Simpson‘s 3band Super has MUCH softer tips and less backbone.

Silvertip is my favourite followed by Best and then Manchurian. Super is likely my least favourite But still excellent brushes.

Last edited:
I find Simpson’s Manchurian is slightly stiffer than their Silvertip (2band) and the tips aren’t as soft. Manchurian has more backbone. Simpson‘s 3band Super has MUCH softer tips and less backbone.

Silvertip is my favourite followed by Best and then Manchurian. Super is likely my least favourite But still excellent brushes.
I have 3 Simpsons so my experience is limited. But i find that i really love the Duke 3 in best, but i wish it had just a hint more backbone. Thinking my next Simpson will be a 2 bander, likely another Duke 3. Or a CH2. Or how about both?

Top Bottom