What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm a grandfather and NEVER shaved that way and that's not how I was trained. That's just lazy. Some people are lazy and some are not.
Guilty as charged! Sometimes I'm too lazy to shave but still slap on aftershave!

FarmerTan

He was born well before the turn of the last century, he died back in the seventies and was up in his nineties. I can remember him shaving with it when I was a little boy in the early fifties, and still smell the Williams. He drove plow horses as a boy and lived to see men walk on the moon, hell of a life.
My life has spanned JFK's campaign to today. Boring by comparison to that of my dad. Aviation in it's infancy, to Space Shuttles.

My life has spanned JFK's campaign to today. Boring by comparison to that of my dad. Aviation in it's infancy, to Space Shuttles.

Young whippersnappers. GET OFF MY LAWN!! :cursing:

I was sneaking cigarettes and alcohol by the time you were born. My life (so far) has seen the Korean war through to satellites leaving the solar system.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've started spending an extra minute in the shower every morning soaping up my face as the last step. I let the lather sit on my face for a minute while I enjoy the last bit of hot water then I wash that off, and turn off the shower.
I can't find it, but ran across a thread on here talking about shaving soap with its high ph helping to break down the hairs follicle making it easier to cut, that made a lot of sense to me. The same poster made the point that conditioner is not the way to go for a lube when shaving because it works to strengthen the hair. Both those points seemed plausible to me, but I have not done any real research.

My Grandpa used a Remington and Williams Lectric Shave.
My paternal grandfather did the same. I know he used straights when he was younger and then moved onto Single Edge and then to Electric. Shaving was just something that needed to be done.

FarmerTan

So.... Back in August, @nemo sent me an old (new, not used, yuck!) Wilkinson Sword blade and a Gillette Spoiler! He recommended that I use the Wilky in my recently acquired New LC that I got from @Tanuki , said they were a great combination, and he was right.

Then the other day I think I found myself on a thread about slants, and asked Mr nemo if the SPOILER would work well in a slant. He answered in the affirmative, so I decided to break out my Razorock German Slant with the Zamak head.

I didn't use my Petri dish soap experiment like Grampa, the lazy old coot, would have used! No siree, I used a brush that was given me by @Shaverfan, a wooden handled Edwin Jagger. The soap I had gotten a week ago from Chris, @Lights 1776. It is called "Christmas Eve" and I believe Stirling makes it.

Long story short (okay, slightly shorter) : this shave took place Friday night. That soap is amazing. Smells just like the name; I would consider buying an aftershave if they make it. Made me want to lick my own face! I should add that I put the sample Chris gave me in a used up deodorant twist up tube and face lathered. The stuff exploded!

The SPOILER blade? I must say, if you can find some that you don't need a second mortgage to buy, do so. Incredibly smooth. I'm going to church tomorrow, but I won't need to shave. I shaved basically a 2 pass shave. A little "buffing" if I'm using the word correctly. And I swear, I shaved hairs off my face that weren't even there yet. No kidding. I think Bigfoot could shave his whole body with that set up and still have enough blade left to shave his wife and kids!

So, thanks to all those gents previously mentioned, my shave only cost me a few calories and whatever it costs to run my water heater for one shave. Thanks guys.

My next exciting (?) report will be on a Palmolive stick! Yes, a gentleman on here has gotten tired of me singing the praises of Arko, can you believe it? and has sent me a care package. I will reveal his secret identity with my next shave, and it will be with the Petri dish method favored by my dearly departed lazy grampa!

FarmerTan

WOW. Two non-Arko shaves. LOL

Will be interesting to hear your take.
Wait til you hear about the AFTERSHAVE I'll be using! Like liquid gold, sent me by yet another generous gent here. I think I missed my calling! I should go into TV news and write the teasers....

FarmerTan

IMG_20191121_222408183.jpg

The above photo shows tonight's set up: brush: Edwin Jagger, an old Wilkinson Sword, a NEW long comb, and the soap, next to it's new container: Palmolive stick!!! Poor Mr @BudgetShaverGuy contacted me a bit ago and for some reason could not understand my love affair with Arko. So he sent me the pictured stick.

First impression: smell is nice. I don't think anyone could be put off by it. Totally non-offensive. But, honestly.... it's kinda boring compared to Arko. It may grow on me, as the Arko urinal cake smell may have temporarily burned out my smell receptors. But for now, Arko out performs the Palmolive.

For performance: Palmolive is every bit the equivalent of Arko. Yes, I know you all may find that hard to believe, but it's true. I missed a spot on my chin, had enough lather in the brush, and did a second pass. Ended up with a BBS shave effortlessly. @nemo gave me that blade and said it would perform. He's right. I doubt that I'll be tossing that blade before 2021.

Followed up with a sample of "Bootleggers El Dorado" provided me by @OkieStubble. Not sure how it's made, but it smells like a cologne at first. Dries down good, the War Department approved it! I can rub my chin, smell my hand and still smell it, 7 hours later! It has a nice "Barber shop powder on the back of your neck post haircut" smell to it. VERY nice.

Final thoughts: I would definitely buy some Palmolive. Excellent product. Face lathering made it explode on my face. Top notch stuff, without the urinal cake smell, which is it's only draw back for me. Color me weird.

I've decided, since I didn't rinse the brush after I shaved, that this brush will be reserved for Palmolive only. That brush has yet to shed a single hair. Thanks @shavefan !

I can't find it, but ran across a thread on here talking about shaving soap with its high ph helping to break down the hairs follicle making it easier to cut, that made a lot of sense to me.

Maybe. I've had really good shaves with products that aren't alkaline, so I tend to have my doubts. It's a dubious benefit, if true.

If you have an extremely tough beard, you're probably better off with an electric shaver with a good motor and changing the foil often, than subjecting your face to harsh treatments just trying to get a blade to pass through tough beard hair. The scissor action of an electric shaver is capable of generating alot more force.

The same poster made the point that conditioner is not the way to go for a lube when shaving because it works to strengthen the hair. Both those points seemed plausible to me, but I have not done any real research.

This isn't really as plausible. Not all hair conditioners work that way, and mostly it's about the hairs resisting abrasion by using things like silicone or cyclomethicone so that they are sleek instead of frizzy and tangly. Those aren't going to protect the hairs from a sharp blade. Ceramides might help a little theoretically to strengthen the hair shaft, but my guess is that it would be an insignificant difference.

I am hoping to shave tonight. Not sure of the soap. This petri dish on my face thing is getting me almost as excited as winning a PIF! .......

I have such a meaningless existence, lol.
The thing I’d be most worried about would be if a fungi or something of the sort started to grow in it say if you cut your self that won’t be good probably good idea to Use an alcohol base aftershave just an idea

FarmerTan

The thing I’d be most worried about would be if a fungi or something of the sort started to grow in it say if you cut your self that won’t be good probably good idea to Use an alcohol base aftershave just an idea
I do use an alcoholic aftershave.

After I shave I go to Skid Row and get someone to spit on my face!

FarmerTan

Man, where have I been since November 22nd? Y'all musta missed me!
I'm gonna try to post a pic of my lather bowl and my unrinsed shedding brush.
IMG_20191207_190221582.jpg

Used my GSB for the 45th, and possibly last time. Reason: post shave BURN!
Dang! Really burned, but BBS. So it will go back in the wrapper.

I used some Vito that I think Mr @shavefan gave me. Please forgive me if I'm wrong; too many generous folks on here. Anyway, I face lathered it from the old deodorant tube I shoved it in.

It was so bad post shave I put hand lotion on my beautiful face! Then I followed that up with some ancient Avon Tribute!

Earlier today I went for a twenty minute hike, and put some firewood on the front porch, and it was windy and below freezing, so maybe I had windburn before razor burn?

Here is the proof that I moved some wood today and didn't just sit in my Lazyarseboy!
IMG_20191207_161514462.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Man, where have I been since November 22nd? Y'all musta missed me!
I'm gonna try to post a pic of my lather bowl and my unrinsed shedding brush.
View attachment 1041681
Used my GSB for the 45th, and possibly last time. Reason: post shave BURN!
Dang! Really burned, but BBS. So it will go back in the wrapper.

I used some Vito that I think Mr @shavefan gave me. Please forgive me if I'm wrong; too many generous folks on here. Anyway, I face lathered it from the old deodorant tube I shoved it in.

It was so bad post shave I put hand lotion on my beautiful face! Then I followed that up with some ancient Avon Tribute!

Earlier today I went for a twenty minute hike, and put some firewood on the front porch, and it was windy and below freezing, so maybe I had windburn before razor burn?

Here is the proof that I moved some wood today and didn't just sit in my Lazyarseboy!
View attachment 1041682

Woah! Man, sorry to hear about the Vito's. Perhaps it was the benzaldehyde they use for the almond scent? It lights my face up.

BTW, nice stack job

Last edited:
Great thread. Reminds me of my grandpa, who died in the early '60's, when he was in his early 60's, in Lexington, Nebraska. He ran a huge corn farm, and left bullets and shotgun shells, and DE blades, on every surface all over the huge three story farmhouse. I'm sure he would approach this little hobby the same way I do. When I buy a used razor, brush or soap, I just use it. I don't sanitize or worry about germs or cooties. If I'm willing to shake people's hands, I should be willing to use a previously-owned razor with my own fresh blade, or a brush that's only encountered soap, or a soap that is, uh, soap. That's just me.

FarmerTan

Woah! Man, sorry to hear about the Vito's. Perhaps it was the benzaldehyde they use for the almond scent? It lights my face up.

BTW, nice stack job
Wow! Never thought of the Vito's! Duh. I'll use it next with a newer blade. Seriously, around my lips looked like my makeup artist was drunker than Betty Davis!

I'll have to check and see if I've got a pic of the wood in the old lean to we built in 74 or so....
IMG_20191019_183320025.jpg
IMG_20191019_114827684_HDR.jpg

You can kinda see the lean to in the top picture. The bottom one is just about the only reason I still live here. Folks pay money to see what I do anytime I stop long enuff!

FarmerTan

Great thread. Reminds me of my grandpa, who died in the early '60's, when he was in his early 60's, in Lexington, Nebraska. He ran a huge corn farm, and left bullets and shotgun shells, and DE blades, on every surface all over the huge three story farmhouse. I'm sure he would approach this little hobby the same way I do. When I buy a used razor, brush or soap, I just use it. I don't sanitize or worry about germs or cooties. If I'm willing to shake people's hands, I should be willing to use a previously-owned razor with my own fresh blade, or a brush that's only encountered soap, or a soap that is, uh, soap. That's just me.
Me too, mostly. If I lay on the floor and stretch out my back, there is a better than even chance that I'll have traces of chicken....droppings, lol, on my shirt when I get up.

We don't eat off our floors, we have a table!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Wow! Never thought of the Vito's! Duh. I'll use it next with a newer blade. Seriously, around my lips looked like my makeup artist was drunker than Betty Davis!

I'll have to check and see if I've got a pic of the wood in the old lean to we built in 74 or so....View attachment 1041744View attachment 1041745
You can kinda see the lean to in the top picture. The bottom one is just about the only reason I still live here. Folks pay money to see what I do anytime I stop long enuff!

Gorgeous!

You fell all that wood? Good man, and a probably a better man than me if I had the chance.

Top Bottom