What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I should also mention that @nemo sent me a second blade that was NOT expected, is all but unobtainium to me in my present financial situation, and I will let @nemo tell me what razor to use.

My present financial situation = whatever the War Department sez it is, and since she's looking for a job she seems to think her veto power is even stronger than it was!

I'm trying to get her to eat less, and transfer some grocery money into my shaving money envelope, but she's having none of it! Here I thought I was being a good husband by helping her with the diet AND the budget and I get no thanks! I told her it was @Brian C. 's idea and now she's mad at him, so I may not be kilt in my sleep after all.

@FarmersTan, geez thanks. Just keep her away from my wife or I won’t able to sleep either. Lol.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

FarmerTan

@FarmersTan, geez thanks. Just keep her away from my wife or I won’t able to sleep either. Lol.

Lol. Dude, I love you man, but I accidentally married Sasquatch, at least she's as strong and mean as he is, and it's every man for himself when the ship is sinking and their is only one life vest!

Lol. Dude, I love you man, but I accidentally married Sasquatch, at least she's as strong and mean as he is, and it's every man for himself when the ship is sinking and their is only one life vest!

Lmao. I married a Cajun. Not a lot of difference other than the spicy cooking. Lol.

FarmerTan

And she owns as many guns as I do. [emoji15]

Mine can outshoot me with her eyes closed....... with a long gun. I've got her beat with handguns, MOST days. Lucky for me she don't practice much!

Glad you found a method to make the Silver Star work for you. I'll be interested to hear your take on the other blade I sent you as well.

FarmerTan

Didn't grampa sharpen his DE blades on the inside of a water glass?
Yes, or so I was told by my Dad. But I'm certain that they were the carbon steel type. My Dad was a child of the Depression. We saved bent nails, and never bought new ones, lol.
Glad you found a method to make the Silver Star work for you. I'll be interested to hear your take on the other blade I sent you as well.
Me too! I will try to use it today when I get my lazy carcass into the shower. I really think that blade just needs a REALLY hydrated beard.

That other blade you sent is intriguing too.

Yes, or so I was told by my Dad. But I'm certain that they were the carbon steel type. My Dad was a child of the Depression. We saved bent nails, and never bought new ones, lol.

Me too! I will try to use it today when I get my lazy carcass into the shower. I really think that blade just needs a REALLY hydrated beard.

That other blade you sent is intriguing too.

I've started spending an extra minute in the shower every morning soaping up my face as the last step. I let the lather sit on my face for a minute while I enjoy the last bit of hot water then I wash that off, and turn off the shower. I dry off everything but my face and start running hot water for my shave in the sink. Then I lather up with shaving soap and proceed to shave. I've noticed a marked improvement in shave efficiency just from adding that step.

I've even put an unused puck of Williams shave soap in the shower for just that purpose.

FarmerTan

Man.

I know, you all wish I'd let this thread die, but I have no other hobbies than bothering you all.

I have started a second shaving bowl and brush in my quest to rot a brush. I bought them this summer while on vacation at a Goodwill store. I'll try to post a picture of them, because the brush is unmarked, and the bowl is, I believe, a soup bowl. It is just a little bit rough inside, and makes a really wonderful lather. I can't remember the prices, but I'm certain I paid less than $5 for both, probably closer to $3.

A while back I commented on a thread where a bunch of gents were testing some samples of soap from (I think) Grooming Department? Not sure. One of those gents sent me two generous samples to try. There were two versions, all I remember is that I liked the one labeled "1.31", and that @A. Feitar sent them to me. They both really were awesome, but.....most of you know Arko is my favorite stuff, so that's probably not exactly a ringing endorsement. So, after my super-dooper undercover soap assignment was finished, I made my reports to Mr. Feitar, took the two samples and mixed them together, and have been using them exclusively, not rinsing brush or bowl. I'm on shave number 6 with an Astra SS that @mrdoug gave me. They are the new ones that have what looks like a serial number laser? etched in them. They are excellent, every bit as good as the old ones.

And as to the soap: it was unscented, so I poured some Dollar Store version Brut onto it and it is great smelling. It has been left uncovered in the bowl, and has not turned funky smelling at all.

My razor has been a Gillette New LC. I don't think that Gillette has ever topped it, and the patent is dated 1920!

Here is a pic, I think, lol. Please identify the brush, anyone! I think I've seen one like it in kits sold back in the 1990's by that shaving cream company that had the signs in series along the sides of roads years ago. The name escapes me.
15735317143498075468687519771753.jpg

FarmerTan

Burma Shave
Thank you!!!! I could not pull that from my brain! Am I right then? Is that where the brush came from then? I am amazed that it has not shed a hair yet, as it looks and feels so......cheap, to be honest.

I have never used a Burma Shave boar but from what I read about them, they were staple buying before the new age madness of humongous knot size caught up with men of means.
95a93cbf95f51fe18eaa8f0250d15907--sign-boards-rural-area.jpg

May I ask how old he was? Mine were born at the turn of the last century.
He was born well before the turn of the last century, he died back in the seventies and was up in his nineties. I can remember him shaving with it when I was a little boy in the early fifties, and still smell the Williams. He drove plow horses as a boy and lived to see men walk on the moon, hell of a life.

I'm a grandfather and NEVER shaved that way and that's not how I was trained. That's just lazy. Some people are lazy and some are not.

Top Bottom