What's new

Just got both my SE's in today.....

I just recieved my GEM 1912 & my OCMM today in the mail.

Ahhh, just in time for my 2 day razor aquisition anticipation growth, or (RAAG)

Against everybody's advice, and my own better judgement, I loaded up a GEM blade into the OCMM and practiced on my arm. Worked great! :biggrin1:
Then I decided to take that practice to my face now.

Did normal face prep, and entered the shower. First pass, tugging, pain, felt like i was making an ATG as my first pass, although I was actually going WTG.:blushing:

Anyways, first pass learning curve, continuing on into my 2nd pass, xtg. With the now painful, proper blade angle lesson learned, the second pass went much smoother, was like slicing through with a perfectly honed & stroped extra hollow ground....But the first pass devistating trauma was already beginning to present itself, so I stopped after pass 2.

I must say im impressed with her. 2 passes, pretty damn smooth, like 3 passes with my Mergress set to 4.5 feather combo smooth. I will be back again in a few days after healing up for a day or two. I think I started to undestand her ways though.........:001_cool:

It does have a different angle of attack than we are first used to. The second shave will be much better. The third shave will have you wondering why you waited so long to get one.

Good man jumping right in with the OCMM. The 1912 has been an awesome shave these past two weeks. I have an OCMM on the way too!

I mention this a lot, but Mr. Guy's video was/is the only reason I am loving the SE shave.:thumbup1:

Well, went for round two with the OCMM today. It was a muched improved shave, started out with a much better perspective on blade angle. I am noticing the slight (but big) differences in shaving strokes from a DE. Its a floating pull type stroke, Im learning. Still a little non visible irritation, and a nick, I havent nicked myself since the whole Feather japanese dx fad I went through!! Very smooth bbs shave on the face, (cant do that with a DE) and a smooth ATG pass on my cheeks too, (cant do that with a DE either). Didnt go for a bbs on the neckline,I wasnt trying to press my luck, but I got it as good as my Mergress or EJ wouldve done, so, another victory.

Overall, I really enjoy this razor, especially for its super aggresive stance! I love the thickness of the styles of blades, just slicing through any and all of my thick wirey multidirectional whiskers without batting an eye or any apologies!

The most important thing of all is, that I am having an absolute blast learning and using this razor! This razor will MAKE you have sound shaving skills! I bet next time I use my EJ, i wont even feel the blade.....lol Im glad I took the plunge so far, and look forward to mastering this tool!! If anybody is on the fence about trying SE razors, I highly recommend trying it, it is a very different and enjoyable experience from DE! :thumbup1:

Shave #3 is the best yet, really falling for this thing. The first safety razor I've owned to date that gets the job done ATG w/o irritation. Man, the thickness of the blade really slices through my whiskers like nothing. Super happy with her so far! I cant believe the best razor to date I got for free!! :thumbup: OCMM is in the top 3 now, and looking to dethrone the champ........

I love the thickness of the styles of blades, just slicing through any and all of my thick wirey multidirectional whiskers without batting an eye or any apologies!

proxy.php

I am preparing for my first SE shave tomorrow. Truth be told, I'm a bit scared! I have to go find the videos you are talking about.

Man he shaved fast with that Micromatic... I was worried for him. And man, didn't realize the wee scott was that small. Glad I didn't order it.

Entered open comb March a day late and a dollar short a few days ago. Had my first of two the other day- first open comb and first SE all in one thanks to Drews50. He PIF'ed me a gold OCMM. Corked a new GEM blade and threw down. It was like driving a stick after 4 months of an automatic. The blade angle was much easier and natural for me versus what I had to learn starting with a DE. Love the heavy blade feel, and the intuitive tell of a thicker blade about to kiss if you err too much. I dig it. A feather in a DE cuts you and you have no clue how it happened until you see blood. I had a feeling I would be loving the SE razors, I've been busy collecting the past few weeks in anticipation of the OCMM love. Got most of these locally except the PIF gold OCMM and the newly acquired Streamline via super cool B&B members!
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pjotr

Entered open comb March a day late and a dollar short a few days ago. Had my first of two the other day- first open comb and first SE all in one thanks to Drews50. He PIF'ed me a gold OCMM. Corked a new GEM blade and threw down. It was like driving a stick after 4 months of an automatic. The blade angle was much easier and natural for me versus what I had to learn starting with a DE. Love the heavy blade feel, and the intuitive tell of a thicker blade about to kiss if you err too much. I dig it. A feather in a DE cuts you and you have no clue how it happened until you see blood. I had a feeling I would be loving the SE razors, I've been busy collecting the past few weeks in anticipation of the OCMM love. Got most of these locally except the PIF gold OCMM and the newly acquired Streamline via super cool B&B members!
full

full

Couple of weeks? Collected locally? Where do you live and have you got room for a guest?

Last edited by a moderator:
JSJ_297, welcome to the Gemocracy. The inexpensive OCMM can take on any $100 plus modern razor and kick butt. That can be said for quite a few Gem razors. I'm glad you decided to find out for yourself.

The number of people that are converting to SE shaving is interesting. Pretty soon 1912s and OCMM will be in big demand. Buy them now while they are still cheap. :lol::lol::lol:

The number of people that are converting to SE shaving is interesting. Pretty soon 1912s and OCMM will be in big demand. Buy them now while they are still cheap. :lol::lol::lol:

you ain't kidding. the OCMM will be the next post happy razor. e.g. thread title "OCMM - $314?????"

game over for me, i'll never use my DE again.

said it before and i will say it again, my DE section of the bathroom collects dust. the best part of it for me is the fact that the SE razors for so long were considered "the poor mans" shaver.
Its just awesome.

Couple of weeks? Collected locally? Where do you live and have you got room for a guest?

Edit: The three micromatics in the front left and the Streamline are from B&B members, the rest were local north Florida finds. Lots of snow birds and antique shops!

P

Pjotr

Edit: The three micromatics in the front left and the Streamline are from B&B members, the rest were local north Florida finds. Lots of snow birds and antique shops!

So I can pretend to be a local when I get there, what's a snow bird?

So I can pretend to be a local when I get there, what's a snow bird?

A snow bird is someone hailing from the north who spends winters in Florida.

Some snow birds can be spotted driving Cadillac DeVille's (and driving them poorly), sporting white shoes and white belts, dining before 5 on the "early bird specials".

They're a fun bunch.

Top Bottom