What's new

Just bought a 100 pack of Astra's and it says made in India

Don't know how you use Google translate. The Google translate app on my phone recognises the characters from the picture and trnaslates them as "Made from the best steel". Which is confirmed if I write the English words "made from" it gives me Làm từ. If I write 'steel' it gives me 'Thép'.

Odd with the different results - Google Translate app on my phone at first actually did briefly flash "made from best steel", but then:
gillette viet.png

"Nhật Bản" means "Japan" in Vietnamese.

When they change countries, it is safe to assume that the steel they are using is now the steel produced in that country. The packaging may look the same but the machinery will also be different. Very doubtful it will be the "same" blade.
It is not like that. If they make a blade in Poland it doesn't mean the steel is Polish. There are a few suppliers of the steel ribbon for blades. I believe it is not only the steel that is a factor. Different machinery will also play an important role. Let's not forget that sometimes Gillette will with time change the blades without changing plant . Sharpedge, Astra SS, Iridium -Super.

Odd with the different results - Google Translate app on my phone at first actually did briefly flash "made from best steel", but then:
View attachment 1720874

"Nhật Bản" means "Japan" in Vietnamese.
Yes, this is the sad reality. Since we don't know Vietnamese, the Google translate app will tell us whatever it wants. After all everyone can write words' meanings in Google translate. And Google translate is only a machine translation platform.

Not every country makes their own steel. Sandvik developed steels like 12C26 and 12C27 for razor blades. A newer version 14C28N is even a further improvement due to the addition of nitrogen. These Swiss steels have a fine grain structure which makes them the ideal steel for razor blades.

But when you move to other major countries like India, China, Germany and Japan, more than likely, the manufacture is now using the steels that are produced there.

I did already comment on different machinery being used, which is bound to effect a difference.

The new blades can still be of high quality but they still are likely not to be the same blade as the originals.

Not every country makes their own steel. Sandvik developed steels like 12C26 and 12C27 for razor blades. A newer version 14C28N is even a further improvement due to the addition of nitrogen. These Swiss steels have a fine grain structure which makes them the ideal steel for razor blades.

But when you move to other major countries like India, China, Germany and Japan, more than likely, the manufacture is now using the steels that are produced there.

I did already comment on different machinery being used, which is bound to effect a difference.

The new blades can still be of high quality but they still are likely not to be the same blade as the originals.
Which are the originals?

They all have been around for a long time and more alike than different.

"14C28N is essentially AEB-L (or perhaps more accurately Sandvik 13C26)" Knife Steel Nerds.

Just minor evolutions. Sweden has high quality iron ore with natural occurring alloy elements. They have limited coal resources.

As such, they do not produce a large quantity of steel but they do concentrate on quality.

The thing about Swedish steel is that these are relatively inexpensive steels, yet they have balanced qualities that are normally found in more expensive steels.

Toughness and edge retention makes them ideal steels for knives. They also have good corrosion resistance and a fine grain structure that lends itself to fine edges on razor blades.

Besides the country of manufacture, the source quality of the iron ore is an important factor.

Great points! Thanks for teh explanation. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Great points! Thanks for teh explanation. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I am not particularly fond of "Super Steels". I finally found a Spyderco Delica that I am very pleased with. It has dyed and hand painted Zome scales and a black TiCN CPM S20CV blade. This is the American equalivent of M390.

On reading through reviews after ordering this special production run, one hit the nail on the head.

"Out of the box, it is sharp enough to shave with, but it loses that degree of sharpness quickly".

I found that to be very on-point. The problem with Super Steels is that, once you have lost that razor sharp edge, resharpening to the degree is difficult and time consuming.

Once you get beyond a Rockwell Hardness of 62, standard sharpening methods that use aluminum oxides are no longer effective.

I will comment, that while I like a sharp knife when I have to cut something, I have no fascination in sharpening knives.

I am retired but work in commercial kitchens to keep active. I take my own knives with me to work. Once a week I sharpen my 8" chefs knife with a $39.99 Lansky diamond stone. That keeps the blade of the 9CR19MOV blade sharp. Every day after using it, I run the sharpening steel over it.

My daily use knives are tools, nothing more. I don't need to use them for a Rambo type survival knife.

Continuing with my bad luck regarding origin of blades bought through @m@z0n based on reviews....(I got 2 different providers send me Wilkinson Sword made in India when I wanted made in China.

Now despite the previous experience.....I bought one pack of Astra green......and got made in India.....and then ordered another from a different provider and the same.

So it seems ALL are from India now......

$8.50 was an OK price for Astra, BUT is too expensive for rebranded India Wilkinson Sword......

lasta

Blade Biter
Continuing with my bad luck regarding origin of blades bought through @m@z0n based on reviews....(I got 2 different providers send me Wilkinson Sword made in India when I wanted made in China.

Now despite the previous experience.....I bought one pack of Astra green......and got made in India.....and then ordered another from a different provider and the same.

So it seems ALL are from India now......

$8.50 was an OK price for Astra, BUT is too expensive for rebranded India Wilkinson Sword......

MIC Gillette Wilkie's were only made for a short while.

Razorbladesclub has them if you are looking.

Otherwise, Gillette Super Blue, Rhino, Flying Eagle, Swordfish, Super Thin and possibly Gillette Goal are all MIC equivalents to the old Gillette Wilkinsons.

According to Matt at Razor Emporium, Russian blades are No More...
Unless of course, you get them from him, for now. Sales tactic? I dunno, but I sure like the Gillette 7o'clock blacks I got from India.
View attachment 1742923

~doug~
I still see them everywhere, and not marked up. Clearly there hasn't been a run on them and there's enough supply for current demand. Sort of a collective shrug from the market.

Top Bottom