What's new

Just bought a 100 pack of Astra's and it says made in India

I wonder, has anyone tried any of the other old PPI brands in their new "Made in India" guise yet? Is a consensus emerging about any changes? It seems improbable but worth asking!

It seems that Indian steel is slightly softer than Russian steel, thus it is easier to sharpen. If the same type of machines have the same settings and the processes are the same, the Indian version should be slightly sharper.
What makes you think the blades at PPI are made of Russian steel, and the blades at Gillette India are made of Indian steel?
There is a post here about the steel ribbons used in different plants. I can't find it now. And it says for the 7 o'clock super platinum they use Japanese steel in India.
Also there is a batch of Gillette Super Thin Platinum made in Shanghai in a box (not the older one in a sleeve) that has the Japanese flag and claims in Vietnamese "Made from the best steel".

st pl.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
I remember a certain Russian mole from the distant past claimed they sourced steel from four different suppliers. 😉

And that was for the St. Petersburg factory.
Was it 4 or 3? Who knows, maybe 7 now!

But the idea does have merit. Newer production Rubies and Platinums develop water stains, older GSBs do not, or at least not as easily!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I remember a certain Russian mole from the distant past claimed they sourced steel from four different suppliers. 😉

And that was for the St. Petersburg factory.
The last time I checked, there were only 2 plants in the entire world producing razor blade steel. It isn't just the steel, it is the final heat treat process at the plant making the blades that is the deciding factor.

~doug~

What makes you think the blades at PPI are made of Russian steel, and the blades at Gillette India are made of Indian steel?
There is a post here about the steel ribbons used in different plants. I can't find it now. And it says for the 7 o'clock super platinum they use Japanese steel in India.
Also there is a batch of Gillette Super Thin Platinum made in Shanghai in a box (not the older one in a sleeve) that has the Japanese flag and claims in Vietnamese "Made from the best steel".

View attachment 1717543

And seems Gillette were using British steel in India, at one point:

1694710311237.png

1694710328636.png

View attachment 1717543
Great post pointing our some outliers. I was curious why the Ninjas are so much more expensive than all the other Indian Gillette blades. Could it be because the steel and thus input costs are different?

Also those Super Thins Platinums with the Japanese flag are indeed quite good, very sharp and very smooth. In my experience, tippy top blades. Again, they are pointing out their specialness with the flag (but their price is very reasonable). Also, Vientamese have a difficult relationship with China, but a good one with Japan. Google translate says the statement on the front is "Do the best you can." I will check the back for more wording.

Going back to the Global Shave Clubs post, he states that Dorco uses Korean steel. He says Korean steel is similar to Japanese steel, which is quite hard to sharpen, but can be "fantastic" when the best equipment is used. I can confirm the Dorco Prime from Vietnam using the new equipment are indeed quite excellent and sharp, but maybe they cost down on the stropping as they are a touch rough for me. It has been awhile since I have used one, I might need to put one in the rotation.

I am curious about the steel ribbon post!

Great post pointing our some outliers. I was curious why the Ninjas are so much more expensive than all the other Indian Gillette blades. Could it be because the steel and thus input costs are different?

Also those Super Thins Platinums with the Japanese flag are indeed quite good, very sharp and very smooth. In my experience, tippy top blades. Again, they are pointing out their specialness with the flag (but their price is very reasonable). Also, Vientamese have a difficult relationship with China, but a good one with Japan. Google translate says the statement on the front is "Do the best you can." I will check the back for more wording.

Going back to the Global Shave Clubs post, he states that Dorco uses Korean steel. He says Korean steel is similar to Japanese steel, which is quite hard to sharpen, but can be "fantastic" when the best equipment is used. I can confirm the Dorco Prime from Vietnam using the new equipment are indeed quite excellent and sharp, but maybe they cost down on the stropping as they are a touch rough for me. It has been awhile since I have used one, I might need to put one in the rotation.

I am curious about the steel ribbon post!
Don't know how you use Google translate. The Google translate app on my phone recognises the characters from the picture and trnaslates them as "Made from the best steel". Which is confirmed if I write the English words "made from" it gives me Làm từ. If I write 'steel' it gives me 'Thép'.

Don't know how you use Google translate. The Google translate app on my phone recognises the characters from the picture and trnaslates them as "Made from the best steel". Which is confirmed if I write the English words "made from" it gives me Làm từ. If I write 'steel' it gives me 'Thép'.
Weird, I ran it again and now it says "Made from Japanese Steel." I can confirm they are right up there with the very best modern blades. I just ordered 200 (probably will be coming from Vientam directly). Sometimes you get bonus blades, so I may end up with 240 :drool:

Give em a go.

Well, here's an article "Razor-Blade Model: Polaroid and Kodak Never Existed to Sell Cameras" but rather film, using what business schools professors term the "razor-blade model".

And I guess one of their students took this idea to its "logical conclusion" here:

:biggrin1:
View attachment 1717637
A once-great name, Kodak, chopped up and taped to every crap product someone thought would sell. Putting brand equity in the juicer until you've squeezed every last drop.

Once they change the plant for a model, the blades shave differently. With DE blades this is a rule. I am telling you this from experience, not just theorising.

When they change countries, it is safe to assume that the steel they are using is now the steel produced in that country. The packaging may look the same but the machinery will also be different. Very doubtful it will be the "same" blade.

lasta

Blade Biter
When they change countries, it is safe to assume that the steel they are using is now the steel produced in that country. The packaging may look the same but the machinery will also be different. Very doubtful it will be the "same" blade.
I think @Rosseforp once mentioned that there are only a few manufacturers of razor blade steel sheets around.

Pakistani Treets use Sandvik steel, I'd assume the Gillette Indian plant sources the same?

Top Bottom