What's new

JTShaves finally learns to shave

Tonight’s shave was one of the worst I have had in a long time. I tried face lathering the cream I’ve been using lately, but certainly did not use enough lather. My neck had a bunch of weepers and tons of irritation.

I used a new blade for me and there was a bunch of tugging, but I blame the crappy lather.

Last nights shave went pretty well. I took the previous evening off due to a horrible shave before due to awful lather. I used a soap that I dare not mention here, my PIFed boar brush, Parker blade and my trusty 6C. The soap performed well, but the brush had a difficult time painting on the lather. It seemed to want to pick up more than put down. I worked around it and still was able to get a decent shave. I only did a two pass shave (my irritation on the neck is still healing) and I have five o'clock shadow by noon, but I'm working from home this week so who really cares. :001_tt2:

I’ve been participating in ARKO August, and man have I been injoying this soap. I have kept it in stick form and been face lathering (I normally bowl lather) with great results. I think I still need to dial in the amount of water, but I’m getting close.

Last nights shave left me with a lot of irritation on my neck, but I think I pushed the blade to far (five uses on a Parker) and I was trying to get to close and may have gone over areas without reapplying the lather (lesson learned).

1C462C60-5FF8-4110-9146-526C0B7466AC.jpeg

I've not completed three or four shaves with Arko and am really enjoying the soap. The slickness and cushion are nice, but the post shave feel has something to be desired. Last night was also the fist time in a while that I did not have any weepers. I may have used a little more water in my brush for the soap, or it could be the razor I used. Instead of using my usual 6C on plate 4, I used a 40s style Super Speed. I used a German Wilkinson Sword and I learned that I do not particularly care for that blade. I'm not sure if I need sharper, or smoother blades. Good thing I have a few more to try while I'm on my search for my go-to blade.

Pre: Hot shower
Soap: Arko
Brush: Whipped Dog silvertip
Razor/blade: Rockwell 6C (plate 5)/Treet (1). Headblade for the dome.
AS: Delynn Atom Balm
D972E301-9154-4D61-8B20-2366E41627D9.jpeg

Tonight was my first use with a TREET blade and man was I impressed! I used plate 5 (plate 4 is my usual daily driver) and had an irritation and mostly weeper free (I got a little careless at the end).

I find I’m starting to like the more aggressive plates on my 6C, even though I still get fantastic shaves in my Tech and Super Speed.

I have been participating in Arko August, but have strayed a few times so far this month. I have also been fortunate to receive a Ming Shi 2000 from a member after I posted that I was looking for a Merkur Futur. Much to my surprise, the generous member also included some Catie's Bubbles Purple Grapefruit soap and a little over 50 blades. The day I received these goodies, I loaded up a four use PolSilver blade into the Ming Shi, whipped up some lather with Catie's Bubbles and had an absolute fantastic shave. I noticed that I used the Ming She on setting 3, but on the lower of the two settings since the razor can be set to more aggressive, or less aggressive. After that shave, I set the razor to the more aggressive settings and used setting 1 for a clean up pass after using a different razor (more on that later).

I am also participating in the Take a Razor, Leave a Razor PIF. The box contained numerous razors which I wanted to try. First up I selected an Old Type. I loaded that with a two use Astra SP and proceeded to shave. Perhaps the lather was not slick enough or something, but I had a lot of irritation post shave and opted to use the Ming Shi on Futur setting 1 for my clean up pass. I will attempt to use the Old Type on my shave tonight (8/27/18) and pay closer attention to the quality of the lather.

I've come to realize that I'm a fan of more aggressive razors, or settings on adjustable. My daily driver on my 6C is plate 5. My travel razor is a Ming Shi2000 that I was generously PIFed by a member here. I have the Ming Shi on the more aggressive settings to match the Futur (which I plan on picking up in the near future).

Although I enjoy the more aggressive razors, I still get great shaves with mild ones as well. Last night I used a 40s style Super Speed and got a DFS with three passes and a little clean up. There was only one weeper from a blemish that I aggravated pre-shave, and the alum block feedback was minimal. This was also my first use of CaD by PAA and I must say that I am impressed with the performance. Some lather got onto the handle of my small, vintage brush and it made the brush difficult to hold on to, that stuff was slick! The blade performed decently, but I don't think it's as sharp as the PolSilver I had been using.

IMG_2834.jpg

I also noticed that the forum is not a lot of interaction. It's a lot of "let me show you the cool stuff I used", but no real conversations. I noticed that in the journal section as well. Heck, I'm not even sure how many people read my entries. There has been very little feedback to anything I post here. I guess I'm posting mostly to get my thoughts out.

Some people read stuff. I just don't comment about much. Was it the first use of the blade?

It does depend a lot on what type of thread people ar posting in. Several types are "New Toys" type, help threads generally have a lot more interaction though.

I think the interaction is in spurts, depending on subject. I have several journals on my watch list, but I don’t always post.

Late last week I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade in my Ming Shi 2000 and had a ton of irritation. I thought my neck had calmed down, so I used the same razor and blade on the next shave. Irritation was so bad I decided to do a two pass shave the next night with a more mild blade in the Ming **** again. This time the irritation was so bad I decided to skip a day of shaving and use my electric. Tonight might be my fist time using a DE again now that the irritation has calmed down a little. Now the debate of using an aggressive razor with a mild blade, or mild razor with the GSB blade to see if the blade is indeed to blame.

Since my last post I have tried a few new products. I participated in the Rex Ambassador world tour. I have to admit that I was not super interested in buying one before I used one, I'm highly considering it now. I tried a few different blades in it, but don't feel like I found the best pairing for it during my time with it. I did like the Astra SP the most, but I only used that blade once as it had three previous shaves on it from my work trip.

I also tried some Williams Mug Soap. I watched a few tutorials on YouTube before my first (and so far only) shave with it. I was able to whip up a nice lather in my bowl that did not dissipate during the shave, and boy was is slick! I did have to work the lather a little bit between passes, but that's not a big deal to me. I had a picture of it somewhere on my computer, but apparently it has been deleted.

SOTN:
Soap: Barrister and Mann 42
Cream: Headslick for the dome
Brush: Vintage Made Rite pure badger
Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 5
Razor: Headblade for the dome
Blade: Blue Sword platinum class
After Shave: Sterling Executive Man
EB663E79-EF5C-4986-963E-4AF6973B390D.jpeg

This was my first shave with this blade and I must say I am extremely impressed. There was little to no feedback from the alum block, even on plate 5 in the 6C. I recieved this blade as part of a PIF that I won, and for the life of me I can’t remember who sent it. Next quest, find out where to get those blades!

It's been while since I wrote in here, so I think it's about time.

I've really become a fan of my Futur. In fact, it's become my go-to razor. I found out that Astra SP blades do not work for me, they are simply not smooth enough. They irritate my skin like none other. The German Wilkinson Sword blades don't work well for me either. Surprisingly enough, Derby extra blades work great in my Futur clone. Every Lord blade I've used thus far has been pretty dang good as well. While they may not be the sharpest blades, they are smooth and provide little feedback from my alum block.

I also, surprisingly enough, won a CK-6 base and matching splash from participating in Movember. I used it for the first time last night (just got it Wednesday), and I am extremely impressed. It is super thirsty, but very slick and provides great cushion. I am excited to use it again (most likely tonight when I shave off the beard for the end of Movember).

Top Bottom