What's new

Joseph Elliott’s best silver steel: Is this beyond repair?

30398775-C804-4A7F-8423-3367E22BB09C.jpeg
B4F302D0-737D-45EE-B955-413F3F0F0761.jpeg
I soaked this in a water soluble rust removal product overnight and it got all of the red rust off.

I washed off the residue with water and used 0000 steel wool for a few minutes and this is the result.

Can this be brought back to life? Or is it beyond repair. Is this massive pitting?

Every other blade I have in the yard sale bonanza looks fairly shiny or has a little patina—not this one.

Any help is appreciated on what to do and next steps

8C0F6A50-03EF-48AE-A02B-B64C5D44A556.jpeg
View attachment 987415 View attachment 987416 I soaked this in a water soluble rust removal product overnight and it got all of the red rust off.

I washed off the residue with water and used 0000 steel wool for a few minutes and this is the result.

Can this be brought back to life? Or is it beyond repair. Is this massive pitting?

Every other blade I have in the yard sale bonanza looks fairly shiny or has a little patina—not this one.

Any help is appreciated on what to do and next steps
Here is a photo of it before the rust removal soak and scrub with the 0000 steel wool

Full grinding of the hollows that removes enough steel to get rid of the pitting, or at least most of it.

I'd go at it with some wet/dry sandpaper and see how deep the pitting is and if there is any on the edge. Pitting up by the spine or in the middle won't affect the edge. Pitting on the edge is bad.

I learned with an ebay razor that 'didn't look too bad' that pitting can be quite deep. When it gets close to the edge, there isn't much metal to sand to get the pit out all the way.

Are those scales horn?

You have major pitting at the heel on one side and at the toe in the other. Before doing any further restoration work try honing to a clean bevel first. If it were me I think I'd just use it for practice or toss it as the chance of it ever shaving again seem pretty slight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom