What's new

Joris/Fatip lovers reviews and pics thread!

I have a confession to make.

WARNING: POSSIBLE HERESY TO FOLLOW.......
I don't think I like the open comb.

There, I said it.

With the Gentile, I loved the shaves so much that I found an excuse to order a Grande in nickel, and when I saw a nickel Piccolo appear in the BST, I bought it as well. And my Bingle Buddy gifted me a Gentile. So I went from one Fatip to four in about a week!

But my first shaves with the Grande were not comfy. They by no means were bad, just, sort of, scary?! I was being super attentive, riding the cap, and yet my face felt just a bit of irritation immediately after the shave. The Gentile is definitely Gentle. Positively, I had no nicks with the Grande, just that discomfort or angst, or something I can't quite put into words. What it boils down to is that the Gentile gave me as good a shave without what I term drama. I am not convinced that I need to continue the drama in hopes that one day, I'll be comfy with my Grande.

So I am thinking of finding a new home for the Grande. It was brand new to me. I will most likely keep the Piccolo, as I can use the handle with the Gentile, and it allows me to keep a FrankenGrande in the cupboard, if I ever want to try again with the open comb.

So that is my confession. I still love the razors, and my Gentile is neck and neck now with my Slim as my preferred razor. But (in a Jack Nicholson voice), "I can't handle the truth!" that the Grande is too grand for me!

What will my penance be?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What will my penance be?

To use it again even shallower. If you feel the blade you're too steep. If it tugs using it that shallow, you need a sharper blade. A Gillette Yellow would be my suggestion. Think air hockey puck. Thats how it feels for me.

Now the steep angle guys can chastise me :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
To use it again even shallower. If you feel the blade you're too steep. If it tugs using it that shallow, you need a sharper blade. A Gillette Yellow would be my suggestion. Think air hockey puck. Thats how it feels for me.

Now the steep angle guys can chastise me :)

:a31:No, Mike, you didn't just give that advice!!! :a30: He said he's already riding the cap and you suggest going even steeper? :nono: Don't listen to Mike that would be the definition of insanity and doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. Although, the more you forego the blade for the cap eventually you'll end up with no irritation. :001_tongu

The Grande loves a steeper angle. Experiment and bring it down more towards the guard, and what ever pressure you think your not using it is too much. They are similar razors but very different. Don't give up on it. You can make it work if you spend more time with it and well worth it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I did and I'll give it again! lol

Using it steep you need an imaginary amount of pressure. Cupids breath exerts more pressure than is necessary lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shallow rocks. Always.

Steep scrapes skin. Always.

This post helps with understanding why.

Others may disagree, and maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it. However, if one way of doing something - like the angle you're shaving at - really does not work for you then change to either more shallow or less shallow. Or, if you prefer, change to steeper.

Changing one variable at a time is something we all seem to understand as good methodology and a smart way to figure things out.

Obviously, this is somewhat of a YMMV topic and issue, and it is somewhat of a razor specific topic and issue. Mostly it is true that there probably isn't much difference in the angles some call shallow and the angles others call steep.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks all for the support, tips and advice. I will try again over the next few weeks and months, and I will learn more about the razor and myself!

Sent via my Samsung

View attachment 847231

I've noticed that my Plisson, pictured above, has 9 teeth exactly like my Schöne instead of 11 teeth like my Piccolo.

All of the Plisson razors I can find pictures of including the one on the website where mine was ordered have 11 teeth. I have emailed the vendor about why.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/razors/32-solid-brass-palladium-engraved.htmlI

I'm not saying this is a problem, but it might be. The Schöne and the Piccolo are not the same in their efficiency, according to me. I need all the efficiency I can get.

Merry Christmas,

Jim
Any updates

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Best presents ever
Alex, Did you see the picture of the 1980's Fatip Classic I picked up? Here's a photo:
rsz_004 (2).jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I keep thinking I'm going to sell it but have had it for about 3 years. I'm not careful with my razors, I just use them and want to keep this one like new. It is so nice that I want to keep it pristine. It would be a nice gift to my grandson.

Ah, so it is not that you like it less.

PlissonTeeth.JPG

I have a Plisson. Mine was a Christmas present, and it has nine teeth in the comb. It is very pretty, but much different in the design than yours, particularly in the teeth number. How many teeth does yours have? I may be counting wrong, but yours might have twelve teeth?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ah, so it is not that you like it less.

View attachment 858597

I have a Plisson. Mine was a Christmas present, and it has nine teeth in the comb. It is very pretty, but much different in the design than yours, particularly in the teeth number. How many teeth does yours have? I may be counting wrong, but yours might have twelve teeth?

Happy shaves,

Jim
You counted wrong. It has eleven in that photo.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You counted wrong. It has eleven in that photo.

Well, I can see how it might be eleven, and I can see how it might be twelve. You're probably right. Maybe we'll get a better view or the owner will count the teeth. It's not like I care whether it's eleven or twelve. Either one is a lot different from mine, but it would be interesting if it has twelve teeth.

upload_2018-2-7_13-21-25.png

There was a Fatip with twelve, right?

Happy shaves either way,

Jim

Top Bottom