What's new

Japanese saw as frameback stock?

Any thoughts on this? The only iffy part IMO is knowing the hrc#, but as well as the one i bought for woodwork has held up, I wouldn't be surprised if worked. In any case, the price is nice enought to not feel bad if i ruin it, and if i cut it right, i'll still have a useable 3-4" saw :thumbup1:

I am not sure about a modern saw, they are often materials that are joined or otherwise not homogeneous. An older saw made from a monolithic piece of steel probably would do the trick, but would require heat treating as the expectations of a razor are not the same as a saw. A razor is harder and therefore more brittle than a saw should be. The back of a saw is also tempered rather soft for springlike nature.

You may be better off ordering a thin piece of O1 from a knife making supply and have at that instead. Some places sell it hardened which makes it more difficult to work but means you do not have to heat treat the blade (other than maybe drawing a softer temper in the tang. This can be done with any heat source, even the kitchen stove)

Having it heat treated is the hard part, but can be be done using "back yard" processes on O1, and some other steels.

Good luck

Phil

A suitable piece of O-1 can be had for a few bucks on eBay & many other places.
A far safer bet IMO.

You still have to heat treat & all that, so mind as well start with steel you know will work.

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4372-8298-116-x-1-o-1-ground-flat.aspx

Just one example of a company selling O1. There is enough to 3+ blades in a 18 inch piece. If you get even marginally creative I am sure you can get 4 out of it by overlapping the tangs.

I have dealt with this company and they are fair. Quick delivery, I have never had a product error to tell how the customer service goes though.

Phil
But then you get all involved in heat treating, blah, blah.. I like the OPs idea of modding an already heat treated blade...

But then you get all involved in heat treating, blah, blah.. I like the OPs idea of modding an already heat treated blade...

The thing is the saw is spring tempered, almost all saws are. It is relatively soft except for where the teeth are. The edge holding without re-heat treating is going to be poor. It is also mystery metal and the method of heat treat would need determined.

How about instead of cutting up a saw blade, look for a large block plane blade. That should be hardened tool steel for the whole piece, but it will be thicker.

Phil

edit: I looked at the Stanly plane in my garage. it has a 2 1/2 inch wide blade. I am sure you could get a couple razors out of that.

Last edited:
The thing is the saw is spring tempered, almost all saws are. It is relatively soft except for where the teeth are. The edge holding without re-heat treating is going to be poor. It is also mystery metal and the method of heat treat would need determined.

How about instead of cutting up a saw blade, look for a large block plane blade. That should be hardened tool steel for the whole piece, but it will be thicker.

Phil

edit: I looked at the Stanly plane in my garage. it has a 2 1/2 inch wide blade. I am sure you could get a couple razors out of that.

Aha...I had figured the saw to be hardened throughout. Thanks for the clarification.

A file would make better stock IMO.
Loads of people turning old files into really good knives.
Can be DYI hardened/heat treated with a propane-torch & your kitchen oven.

A file would make better stock IMO.
Loads of people turning old files into really good knives.
Can be DYI hardened/heat treated with a propane-torch & your kitchen oven.

I guess we need the OP to let us know about the backyard metalworking capabilities and heat treatment options.

Phil

Top Bottom