What's new

Japanese Bon pocket razor

My acquisitions/SOTD hiatus was interrupted by a gift of this obscure Japanese Bon pocket razor. It came with a 1957 blue blade installed so I can only guess it dates from the first post war decade, it precisely resembles the myriad European pocket razors of the 40s and shaves like an Old Type. Permasharp blade.

Anyone seen one before?

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5x using Tapatalk

Just saw North by North West (the old Hitchcock film) and one of the characters used something like this.

I had never seen one before that.

Makes more sense now that I know it is a Japanese design.

Is half the stem/handle not in the case? It LOOKS shorter than the assembled handle...
I can't say for this model, but others I have seen have a 2 piece handle, the narrower part fits inside the thicker part so it is more compact for traveling but it is assembled to a longer handle so one isn't trying to shave with a nub handle.

Neat razor!

14 teeth instead of the typical 13; I wonder if they were the only ones to do this?

I can't say for this model, but others I have seen have a 2 piece handle, the narrower part fits inside the thicker part so it is more compact for traveling but it is assembled to a longer handle so one isn't trying to shave with a nub handle.

Are they typically telescopic or screw-on?

Top Bottom